New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

My friends have always known I was a uniform nerd, but they never realized how much of a uniform nerd I was until we all saw this commercial during a game this past season:

Peyton-Manning-Papa-Johns.png

I said "Wow, that is such a fake jersey." So they paused and backed up the DVR to the spot and I pointed out the discrepancy between the Nike mark, the Equipment NFL mark, and the distinct lack of flywire/toilet bowl collar. Which means this must be either last season's Reebok jersey with the Nike mark slapped on the side, or completely fake.

Best I got was "Oh, ok. Hey, let's switch to Red Zone...they have no commercials."

if you mistook a practice jersey for a fake you're probably not as much of an expert as you think.

If you mistook the term "nerd," for the term "expert," you're probably not as good of a reader as you think.

Throwing shade aside, guess I missed the thread that figured out it was a practice jersey. Oh well.

Go A's!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that one might have been deserved. ;) Little League teams aren't exactly striving for authenticity when they borrow MLB names.

HA! I feel ashamed to admit that I have criticized little league interpretations of MLB names. LOL. I think this topic deserves a thread of its own. Sorry for continuing to derail this thread but I just had to comment.

From the Vikings web guy thats also kind of a ubiquitous radio presence on the 9-12 radio program in town, here he states its probable the Vikings will be wearing the purple road pants more often than with the previous design. Just his opinion, but something of note I figured i'd pass along.

http://www.vikings.c...85-35f1f04f4a0f

I know we’ve always had the option of purple pants, but very rarely have we used them. I’ve always thought the purple pants were unique and looked great. Do you think we may decide to incorporate the purple pants more often? If not, is there any reasoning as to why we only wear the purple pants on seemingly random games and so rarely?

-- Kyle L.

Minneapolis

I can’t say for certain what the team will decide, but my sense is that the purple pants will make more frequent appearances going forward. The white jersey on top of purple pants is a clean look and would be my choice for the primary road uniform. Again, just my guess at this point but I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw more of the purple pants in the near future.

From the Vikings web guy thats also kind of a ubiquitous radio presence on the 9-12 radio program in town, here he states its probable the Vikings will be wearing the purple road pants more often than with the previous design. Just his opinion, but something of note I figured i'd pass along.

http://www.vikings.c...85-35f1f04f4a0f

I know we’ve always had the option of purple pants, but very rarely have we used them. I’ve always thought the purple pants were unique and looked great. Do you think we may decide to incorporate the purple pants more often? If not, is there any reasoning as to why we only wear the purple pants on seemingly random games and so rarely?

-- Kyle L.

Minneapolis

I can’t say for certain what the team will decide, but my sense is that the purple pants will make more frequent appearances going forward. The white jersey on top of purple pants is a clean look and would be my choice for the primary road uniform. Again, just my guess at this point but I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw more of the purple pants in the near future.

I'm all for that. I think the pruple pants look pretty solid with the new set.

On a side note, it has alwas facinated me to see the majority of people say they hate dark jersey and dark pants, but absolutely love white jersey and white pants. I am usually not a fan of dark on dark (espeically for the Vikings) but i have never really liked the white over white at all... it always seem pretty damn boring. I know I am not in the norm on this one.

In their second OTA the Vikings have new practice jerseys including the new font. (The first OTA recycled last year's practice jersey.) I'm kind of surprised to see the font make its way onto the practice jerseys. I know more than a few teams with custom fonts just use plain block on their practice jerseys (bengals, for instance)... saves some expense, I imagine. I expected the Vikings, with that complicated right-side-left-side matching issue to just go plain block for practice, but they didn't. Just kind of interesting, I guess.

7386486.jpg

7386466.jpg

7386444.jpg

In their second OTA the Vikings have new practice jerseys including the new font. (The first OTA recycled last year's practice jersey.) I'm kind of surprised to see the font make its way onto the practice jerseys. I know more than a few teams with custom fonts just use plain block on their practice jerseys (bengals, for instance)... saves some expense, I imagine. I expected the Vikings, with that complicated right-side-left-side matching issue to just go plain block for practice, but they didn't. Just kind of interesting, I guess.

7386486.jpg

7386466.jpg

7386444.jpg

I was surprised to see them too after seeing the old ones make an appearance this year already.

As for the numbers, because they are screen printed, custom typefaces make no difference in cost. It's all about the amount of colors/screens that are used. Because the numbers on the practice jerseys are 1 color opposed to two color last year (and the fact they are using one color material instead of two with the side pannels) costs are dramatically cut with these new ones. Not to mention they look better.

Every time I see the new helmets, I love them more and more. And surprisingly, after hating the addition of the black face mask, I don't even notice them at all.

7386486.jpg

7386466.jpg

7386444.jpg

I was surprised to see them too after seeing the old ones make an appearance this year already.

As for the numbers, because they are screen printed, custom typefaces make no difference in cost. It's all about the amount of colors/screens that are used. Because the numbers on the practice jerseys are 1 color opposed to two color last year (and the fact they are using one color material instead of two with the side pannels) costs are dramatically cut with these new ones. Not to mention they look better.

Every time I see the new helmets, I love them more and more. And surprisingly, after hating the addition of the black face mask, I don't even notice them at all.

Well, that's true to a point. I worked in a screen printing shop when I was in grad school, and we had block numders in every size in pre-cut screens. We worked with a lot of high schools, and when you ordered a jersey, we could just pop a premade screen in and go. If you ordered anything custom (not too many custom fonts at our rinky-dink screen shop in the late 80's, but lots of custom graphics) we got to charge an art fee.

I'm sure you're right... to an NFL team that's peanuts, but it does make you wonder why there are teams with custom fonts who just go with block on their practice jerseys.

6414496.jpg

I'm with you on the helmet. The matte finish and black mask go against my whole CCSL persona, I know, but... what can I say, it looks really good.Cordarrelle-Patterson.jpg

7386486.jpg

7386466.jpg

7386444.jpg

Well, that's true to a point. I worked in a screen printing shop when I was in grad school, and we had block numders in every size in pre-cut screens. We worked with a lot of high schools, and when you ordered a jersey, we could just pop a premade screen in and go. If you ordered anything custom (not too many custom fonts at our rinky-dink screen shop in the late 80's, but lots of custom graphics) we got to charge an art fee.

I'm sure you're right... to an NFL team that's peanuts, but it does make you wonder why there are teams with custom fonts who just go with block on their practice jerseys.

6414496.jpg

I'm with you on the helmet. The matte finish and black mask go against my whole CCSL persona, I know, but... what can I say, it looks really good.Cordarrelle-Patterson.jpg

I'm assuming each equipment manager orders a couple hundred blanks then has the numbering done at a local shop (or even in house). Given the wear and tear aspect and roster changes/etc, there's a big enough need to be able to turn around a new jersey in a couple hours. Since the numbering is done at the local level some teams probably go the simple route with the standard block #'s. Other teams must have invested in custom screens but only do single color (bears/eagles/chargers).

I've always found it interesting how drastically different practice jerseys range in design and from team to team some are almost identical to game gear (9ers) while others look like they were borrowed from the local high school.

I'm relatively surprised that there is no league-mandated regularity in the practice jerseys, something like BP jerseys.

I think it would be cool to see a different design every year, like NBA warmups.

I'm sure I'm part of the minority here, though haha.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'm assuming each equipment manager orders a couple hundred blanks then has the numbering done at a local shop (or even in house). Given the wear and tear aspect and roster changes/etc, there's a big enough need to be able to turn around a new jersey in a couple hours. Since the numbering is done at the local level some teams probably go the simple route with the standard block #'s. Other teams must have invested in custom screens but only do single color (bears/eagles/chargers).

I've always found it interesting how drastically different practice jerseys range in design and from team to team some are almost identical to game gear (9ers) while others look like they were borrowed from the local high school.

You're absolutely right, it would be an art fee or a screen set up fee to do the new numbers, but in the scheme of things, that would be minimal if they keep the screens on file.

What it all comes down to is, someone on the marketing/brand team made a good pitch to the people in charge of the equipment money to have the new letters on there. Lets face it, they spent all this time and money on a new look, might as well add it to the practice jersey especially if there is no other side panel, trim, outlines, etc. on the game jersey, sticking with the custom typeface is the only thing that will make it "look new." (Minus the sleeve strips of course, and I know we all know those type of items stay off the practice jersey)

It would be smart if they did it in house, but I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced it local. Would love to hear about the team's tailor/seamstress.

7386486.jpg

7386466.jpg

7386444.jpg

6414496.jpg

Well if it's anything, the Dolphins are using their number font for their practice jerseys (in the darker shade of aqua from the old look)... they're even using shorts/football pants from the old look.

tempALNY5843--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

The more I see both of these helmets the more I like em. The finish on the vikes along with the black mask goes along with the their team name and history unlike the flashy shiny crap before. And the dolphins colors are bright and crisp and pop off the white helmet and face mask. I get a Miami vibe as soon as I see them esp in regular day light. I can't wait to see them in action. Now the jags...fix the fade and they might work

The more I see both of these helmets the more I like em. The finish on the vikes along with the black mask goes along with the their team name and history unlike the flashy shiny crap before. And the dolphins colors are bright and crisp and pop off the white helmet and face mask. I get a Miami vibe as soon as I see them esp in regular day light. I can't wait to see them in action. Now the jags...fix the fade and they might work

I'm also warming up to the dolphin look, overall, maybe because I didn't have any real emotional attachment to the old (although I liked the helmet on the doplhin just because I'm a fan of that kind of silly mascot thing you get most often with older college logos). My only real complaint about the dolphins' look is that I wish all the orange elements were thickened by maybe half again, so they didn't become so invisible from any sort of distance.

Vikes I can agree with the black facemask as it blends in real well but the Dolphins colors does not pop to me off the helmet if anything the two aquas does not pop at all & the orange is barely noticeable. Jags have no hope the way it is now.

Vikes I can agree with the black facemask as it blends in real well but the Dolphins colors does not pop to me off the helmet if anything the two aquas does not pop at all & the orange is barely noticeable. Jags have no hope the way it is now.

Well it was hard for me to come around esp viewing these pics on the iPhone but I'm hoping that these two unis will look great on the big screen on Sundays! 2 out of 3 is a good average if they pan out.

I'm also warming up to the dolphin look, overall, maybe because I didn't have any real emotional attachment to the old (although I liked the helmet on the doplhin just because I'm a fan of that kind of silly mascot thing you get most often with older college logos). My only real complaint about the dolphins' look is that I wish all the orange elements were thickened by maybe half again, so they didn't become so invisible from any sort of distance.

Like i said above hopefully on our Sunday football big screens with hi def and the full uniform these two uniforms will look great and the small amount of orange will show more with the entire uniform ESP if they are going with the storm trooper look full time

7386486.jpg

7386466.jpg

7386444.jpg

6414496.jpg

Well if it's anything, the Dolphins are using their number font for their practice jerseys (in the darker shade of aqua from the old look)... they're even using shorts/football pants from the old look.

Have they completely eliminated the old logo from everything? Or could they possibly be keeping it around as a secondary logo?

Have they completely eliminated the old logo from everything? Or could they possibly be keeping it around as a secondary logo?

Teams practice equipment are the last things that get changed. It has nothing to do with keeping the old logo around. It's a goner.

Teams practice equipment are the last things that get changed. It has nothing to do with keeping the old logo around. It's a goner.

Yeah, I knew the part about the practice equipment. I just wasn't sure if they were gonna hold on to the old logo for any reason.

I am a Bengals fan, and when they changed the primary to the B logo, they still kept the Bengal head logo around as a secondary.

That is kinda what I was wondering.

Archived