New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

Thanks, CWx. Good info.

Heck, I'll make the argument that even the '96 redesign still didn't add so much Yellow/Gold as to allow that color to bypass White in their color hierarchy (if any such thing exists anywhere other than my head).

Poor White, always getting listed last. :)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's really just semantics, anyway. Every team has white in their uniforms, but most don't bother to mention it. (Scarlet and gray? Maize and blue?) The amount of gold used by the Vikings is pretty comparable to the gold used by the Chiefs... how do they list their colors? Or the Bears' orange, the Bills' red, the Cardinals' black?

Well, it's really just semantics, anyway. Every team has white in their uniforms, but most don't bother to mention it. (Scarlet and gray? Maize and blue?) The amount of gold used by the Vikings is pretty comparable to the gold used by the Chiefs... how do they list their colors? Or the Bears' orange, the Bills' red, the Cardinals' black?

I have found a couple of teams that don't use any White at all - the Greensboro Grasshoppers of the South Atlantic League being one.

Most of these color descriptions come from marketing departments; they don't always know what they're doing...the 49ers from 1996 through 2008 had their colors listed as "Cardinal, Metallic Gold and Beige". The Beige being the flat alternate color for the Metallic Gold, and they also neglected to list Black.

I tend to list color in order of prominence and try as best I can to group Primary, Secondary and Supporting colors based on how they are used - Primary Colors are those that are used throughout the uniforms and helmets/caps, etc. Secondary Colors might be just used as a minor trim color, and Supporting Colors are those that might only be used in logos (e.g., the Red, Blue and Gray in the Steelers' primary mark).

That being said, here's how the various marketing depts. list the above mentioned teams:

Chiefs: Red, Gold and White

Bears: Navy, Orange and White

Bills: Royal Blue, Scarlet Red, White and Navy

Cardinals: Cardinal Red, Black and White

I'm trying to change/influence some of the inconsistencies I see with these kinds of things.

Ok so this is why I tend to take a very soft edge with my opinions on matters like this. I get all sorts of rigid and Werx comes and swatch-slaps me! :)

I kinda wish the Vikings WERE just purple and white. Still. I'll never. ever. Like that white cage. YOU CAN'T MAEK ME GUYZ. :D

ColorWerx, I think the way you list them by usage is the best way to decide the hierarchy of colors within a given team's color scheme. And by that hierarchy, white was (is, I guess) a perfectly legitimate choice of color for the Vikings facemask... like it is for the Chiefs. I just don't, personally, find white facemasks to be aesthetically pleasing in most cases (there are exceptions, of course). My personal "rules" for facemasks (which I don't expect anyone but me to care about) are that masks can be; A. The same color as the helmet, or B. Whatever non-helmet color appears next most in the color scheme, or C. Gray, if you have a uniform that a gray mask feels right with (yes, I brought my worm can opener). That's why I feel a bit conflicted about the Vikings' black mask... it breaks this "rule". I can go on long rants about the ugly red mask of the Patriots and the stupid black mask of the Lions, because I don't feel that there's enough of those colors in the overall scheme to justify using those masks (IMO Pats need a navy mask, Lions need a blue one, if you're interested). The only team that's breaking this rule, and gets a pass from me is Tampa... just because their helmet looks awesome.

So I feel like giving the Vikings a pass for the black mask makes me a bit of a hypocrite. Yeah, honestly, it looks good, but now I feel like if I try to bitch about the Patriots' red mask, someone can call me on my team... and, damn, I hate that!

Also, just out of curiosity, why do some of you seem to feel we have the technology to create matte helmets, but not matte facemasks?

1969-84 Minnesota Vikings' uniform combination, the No. 8 seed in the Dave Dameshek's Throwback NFC region on NFL.com:

http://www.vikings.c...72-233bd8ebebfb

Minnesota Vikings' 2013 uniform combination, the No. 8 seed in the Dave Dameshek's 2013 NFC region on NFL.com.

http://www.vikings.c...49-657a5b04f761

He definitely hates the black face mask but loves gray/white facemasks, but likes the black shoes. Hummmm...

I'm about to beat a dead horse...

BM-ouecCYAEZWww_zps5d861059.jpg

Damn! Those helmets look good.

What helmet is that (manufacturer, style, I mean)?

schutt air xp I believe while the far right may be a schutt vengance.

The one on the far right looks like the Riddell 360 helmet.

nah it's definantly a vengeance, the 360 doesn't have clips on the front bumper and the vents are quite similar to the speed

schutt is STILL copying riddell? didn't they learn the first few times?

I'm about to beat a dead horse...

BM-ouecCYAEZWww_zps5d861059.jpg

Damn! Those helmets look good.

What helmet is that (manufacturer, style, I mean)?

schutt air xp I believe while the far right may be a schutt vengance.

The one on the far right looks like the Riddell 360 helmet.

nah it's definantly a vengeance, the 360 doesn't have clips on the front bumper and the vents are quite similar to the speed

schutt is STILL copying riddell? didn't they learn the first few times?

It isn't that similar but can be mistaken from afar. The most similar element is the ridge on the back

schutt-vengeance-2.jpg

1969-84 Minnesota Vikings' uniform combination, the No. 8 seed in the Dave Dameshek's Throwback NFC region on NFL.com:

Minnesota Vikings' 2013 uniform combination, the No. 8 seed in the Dave Dameshek's 2013 NFC region on NFL.com.

He definitely hates the black face mask but loves gray/white facemasks, but likes the black shoes. Hummmm...

Number 8 seed out of (I'm assuming) 16? I'm just trying to figure out what this guy really thinks, because 8 out of 16 is pretty much middle of the pack, yet he talks up both unis as though he really likes them.

Also, here is yet another OTA pic... sorry if I'm annoying anyone with them.

20130621_kkt_sk1_567.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Number 8 seed out of (I'm assuming) 16? I'm just trying to figure out what this guy really thinks, because 8 out of 16 is pretty much middle of the pack, yet he talks up both unis as though he really likes them.

After some digging, I found that yes, they are the number 8 seeds in "THE GREATEST UNIFORM IN NFL HISTORY Bracket".

I say lets get some votes for the Vikes!

http://www.nfl.com/greatestuni

It'd be nice if Dave Dameshek was as smart as he thinks he is. His commentary in his entire rankings on nfl.com (1-122) are so error-filled that it's painful to read.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It'd be nice if Dave Dameshek was as smart as he thinks he is. His commentary in his entire rankings on nfl.com (1-122) are so error-filled that it's painful to read.

Yeah I watched his interview on this and it was quite painful. He only likes uniforms from 1920-1950 and he has no real insight other than "Come on, now that's just cool" or "I dont like that because it's weird!" He also think's he's the funniest guy in the room. No wonder most people think us uni-loving types are a side show. We got this guy representing us.

Hopefully, this will clear up how the Vikings' sleeve stripes are constructed:

MinnesotaVikings_SleeveDetail_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

ColorWerx, do you have any similar graphics of the pants stripe, home and road? I'm having trouble getting a handle on the proportions, color by color.

For some reason, the measurements are left off of the on-field guide. I'll post when I get them.

Hey, ColorWerx, did you ever get a look at those graphics with measurements for the pants? I swear, the thin purple stripe on the purple pants looks like a different width every time I see it.

Well, it's really just semantics, anyway. Every team has white in their uniforms, but most don't bother to mention it. (Scarlet and gray? Maize and blue?)

In Michigan's defense..... white only appears in the road uniform. The only place you might find white ANYWHERE in the home uniforms would be helmet bumpers, athletic tape, cleat logos, and (almost never anymore) socks. Of course this varies by sports, so I guess white would need to be included. Good point, though. Good discussion.

Ohio on the other hand.... Yes. White is everywhere.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Archived