jakemon08

New Vikings Uniforms

Yeah, they do look bad and really mismatched. I will take 3 and a half hours of watching the team on my color-calibrated HDTV over a single still image. And if you're going to argue that it's not the Vikings' fault that TV cameras mess up their colors, they should have accounted for that in the design process.

That's the kind of thinking that got the Cowboys into the mess they are currently in.

No, the Cowboys got into those issues in the early '80s, with poor quality broadcasts that didn't accurately show colors. We are talking about HDTV in 2013, which generally makes the images much closer to real life (unless the broadcast is over-saturated, as some HD things are). More importantly, whether or not the Cowboys' solution worked at making the silvers look similar on broadcasts back then (and I imagine it didn't), the Cowboys look mismatched on HDTV today. There's no excuse for them to be mismatched in 2013, just as there's no excuse for the Vikings. And it wouldn't take the world's greatest scientists 20 years to match the Vikings' jerseys to their helmets, either. The Vikings matched just fine last year, but they went away from that matching helmet color.

Yeah, they do look bad and really mismatched. I will take 3 and a half hours of watching the team on my color-calibrated HDTV over a single still image. And if you're going to argue that it's not the Vikings' fault that TV cameras mess up their colors, they should have accounted for that in the design process.

That's the kind of thinking that got the Cowboys into the mess they are currently in.

No, the Cowboys got into those issues in the early '80s, with poor quality broadcasts that didn't accurately show colors. We are talking about HDTV in 2013, which generally makes the images much closer to real life (unless the broadcast is over-saturated, as some HD things are). More importantly, whether or not the Cowboys' solution worked at making the silvers look similar on broadcasts back then (and I imagine it didn't), the Cowboys look mismatched on HDTV today. There's no excuse for them to be mismatched in 2013, just as there's no excuse for the Vikings. And it wouldn't take the world's greatest scientists 20 years to match the Vikings' jerseys to their helmets, either. The Vikings matched just fine last year, but they went away from that matching helmet color.

You're still not going to get accurate color representations on HDTV's. They will be a lot more accurate then other TV's, but still not accurate. Each TV's going to display the color in a slightly different shade than the others.

You're still not going to get accurate color representations on HDTV's. They will be a lot more accurate then other TV's, but still not accurate. Each TV's going to display the color in a slightly different shade than the others.

TalkToChuck is correct. But lets not feed TheOldRoman any more, he's been on a rant about this since before the uniforms were even unveiled. He obviously wants to only see it his way, and that's fine because he is entitled to his opinion of liking shiny helmets, but it's getting old.

TalkToChuck is correct. But lets not feed TheOldRoman any more, he's been on a rant about this since before the uniforms were even unveiled. He obviously wants to only see it his way, and that's fine because he is entitled to his opinion of liking shiny helmets, but it's getting old.

But his opinion that the new helmet doesn't match the rest of the uniform (in person, standard def, or HDTV) is right.

If they had gone with metallic gloss like they'd been using for the last decade or so it would match a lot better.

When I watch the Lions (ugh), the Honolulu blue has a different hue from camera to camera (from more green to more blue), but that variation is consistent throughout the uniform. The Vikings' purples almost always look different... man on the moon... 2013....

But his opinion that the new helmet doesn't match the rest of the uniform (in person, standard def, or HDTV) is right.

If they had gone with metallic gloss like they'd been using for the last decade or so it would match a lot better.

Thank you. I have said that I pretty universally dislike matte helmets, but that is not part of the equation here. I am not complaining because their helmet is matte, I am complaining because it is mismatched due largely to it being matte. This is particularly dumb considering the fact that the helmets matched the jerseys for the last seven years. But no, it's just me complaining because I dislike matte helmets. Also, HDTV is this horrible boogeyman which arbitrarily distorts colors and we should applaud the Vikings and Nike for going matte in spite of high definition. After all, nobody watches football on TV and all that matters is how it looks from the stands.

When I watch the Lions (ugh), the Honolulu blue has a different hue from camera to camera (from more green to more blue), but that variation is consistent throughout the uniform. The Vikings' purples almost always look different... man on the moon... 2013....

Thank you. I have said that I pretty universally dislike matte helmets, but that is not part of the equation here. I am not complaining because their helmet is matte, I am complaining because it is mismatched due largely to it being matte. This is particularly dumb considering the fact that the helmets matched the jerseys for the last seven years. But no, it's just me complaining because I dislike matte helmets. Also, HDTV is this horrible boogeyman which arbitrarily distorts colors and we should applaud the Vikings and Nike for going matte in spite of high definition. After all, nobody watches football on TV and all that matters is how it looks from the stands.

We've covered this topic earlier in the thread. Blues and Purples are among the hardest to match across different mediums. Paint, fabric, inc, pixles. It's very difficult to get them to match. Add in the fact that it looks different in different lights (interior, exterior, time of day) as well as camera lenses, tvs, etc. and it's never going to match. Its not just HDTV.

And yes, I know first hand. I work with a custom blue for a major corporation every day. We have tried everything we can but we can never get blue to match on all materials across the board, its just the nature of that those hues.

The reason the Vikings could get their purple helmets and purple pants to more closely match in previous years was because the pant material was shiny, thus easier to match. With the new Nike pants being matte, you're going to have a more difficult time to match regardless of helmet finish.

Ultimately the decision was up to the people that run the organization. Shiny or matte helmet, shiny or matte pants and the lesser of the evils that they can live with.

I'm officially stepping out of this convo.

Also, I have seen the purple pants in action live in a dome, and I can assure you, they match the helmets pretty damn well.

I agree with Old Roman as well it is a look I would not be happy with if I were a Vikings fan especially since it does not have to be.

I find it ironic that people are complaining about the slight differences in the helmet color and the pants, but for years people loved this ugly ass combination:

tumblr_ktxyd5PPdC1qzq8zqo1_500.jpg

I knew someone was going to go there.

That was intentional to reciprocate the way the helmets and jerseys actually mismatched in that era. There is no excuse to have them mismatching today in their current set other than to have a damn matte helmet. Overall, it really isn't a dealbreaker for me since I'm a big fan of the Vikings' redesign but this is something that didn't have to be if they'd bothered correcting it.

I find it ironic that people are complaining about the slight differences in the helmet color and the pants, but for years people loved this ugly ass combination:

That look wasn't by choice. It was the default shade of purple for molded plastic helmets. Much like that hideous shade of blue that the Broncos were stuck with for a couple of decades.

Also these helmets and the other nike versions (U of Minn, Cal, WVU, etc) aren't true matte correct? They seem to look like they have a slight metallic finish to them but lack the clearcoat gloss that would give them the ridiculous shine of the older helmets.

This just in, the Vikings use their current matte helmet for their throwback uniform against the Packers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/18/vikings-packers-will-wear-throwbacks-with-their-standard-helmets/

Wait... they'll be wearing throwbacks against each other? Or are they just saying whenever each team wears them?

Also, I didn't know the Vikings still had a throwback uniform in their set. Is it the same as before?

We've covered this topic earlier in the thread. Blues and Purples are among the hardest to match across different mediums. Paint, fabric, inc, pixles. It's very difficult to get them to match.

I understand that. My point was that the Lions' blues do match across the uniform but look like different hues (sometimes markedly different) depending upon the camera/setting, while the Vikings' colors rarely seem to match regardless of how they're viewed.

This just in, the Vikings use their current matte helmet for their throwback uniform against the Packers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/18/vikings-packers-will-wear-throwbacks-with-their-standard-helmets/

Wait... they'll be wearing throwbacks against each other? Or are they just saying whenever each team wears them?

Also, I didn't know the Vikings still had a throwback uniform in their set. Is it the same as before?

Sorry, I may have misspoke with that, not sure if they will be wearing them against each other. But seeing as the Vikings like to use theirs against the Packers, I am sure they will be wearing them against the pack this year. My guess would be at home seeing as though it will be the last time they play the pack in the Dome.

As for what they look like. No clue, I would assume close to what they have already been wearing the last few years. Unless they go with the 90's version, which I hope not ;-)

I didn't think the Vikes still had those. I hope it's the same ones, I want to see them in the Nike cut. I also hope it is not the mid 90'/mid 00's jersey. I think those are overrated, this coming from a Vikes fan.

People like that look in spite of the helmet color. That was the only purple helmet option back in the day. There is no such excuse for the Vikings having mismatched purples today. Those color helmets were worn with the throwback uniforms to be true to the original look, yes. However, even though people wanted the Vikings to return to that look, nobody actually wanted that mismatched dark-purple helmet to be brought into modern day. And yes, I do greatly prefer those uniforms to the current ones.

I didn't think the Vikes still had those. I hope it's the same ones, I want to see them in the Nike cut. I also hope it is not the mid 90'/mid 00's jersey. I think those are overrated, this coming from a Vikes fan.

I'd bet that they are the Nike cut, but the same look as the throw backs above.

I agree, as a Vikings fan, those 90's/00's were always me least favorite.

The story has been updated, and it suggests that we were correct in believing that the Vikings don't have throwbacks in their wardrobe for this year.