New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to get this back on topic, another not real concept that could have some elements that end up close (the sleeves being NWestern is pretty safe bet on the purple IMO.)..not that font though, wow.

1fd791f6a04c11e2a03a22000a1fbd56_7.jpg

Is that Seattle's helmet with a purple treatment? I do like that shade of purple.

Well, no matter what they might say, it isn't for the players. Its for the fans. Not the ones watching on TV or sitting in the stands, but the one spending big money on jerseys. Am I wrong in thinking these slogans only end up on the authentics?

I highly doubt that their inclusion makes fans buy them.

Now, I'm fine with personalization of jerseys in an obscure area for those on field, and I'm even ok with those kinds of messages on 'one-offs' to be auctioned and hung. But otherwise, I think they just trot into the absurd.

Well, no matter what they might say, it isn't for the players. Its for the fans. Not the ones watching on TV or sitting in the stands, but the one spending big money on jerseys. Am I wrong in thinking these slogans only end up on the authentics?

Now, I'm fine with personalization of jerseys in an obscure area for those on field, and I'm even ok with those kinds of messages on 'one-offs' to be auctioned and hung. But otherwise, I think they just trot into the absurd.

Well, my point was that, while it might not make someone buy a jersey who otherwise wouldn't, it might make someone decide to go with a more expensive model. Maybe.

By the way... "Keep Pounding" always makes me laugh. Kind of a Bevis and Butthead laugh.

Well, my point was that, while it might not make someone buy a jersey who otherwise wouldn't, it might make someone decide to go with a more expensive model. Maybe.

By the way... "Keep Pounding" always makes me laugh. Kind of a Bevis and Butthead laugh.

FWIW the story behind "Keep Pounding" and Sam Mills is damn emotional. That's the kind of thing I actually like to see embroidered on the inside of the collars. Seattle's 12 is a shout out to the fans but not really necessary, and the one on the inside of the Redskins uniform is pretty stupid honestly. But the Panthers one is pretty special, IMO.

FWIW the story behind "Keep Pounding" and Sam Mills is damn emotional. That's the kind of thing I actually like to see embroidered on the inside of the collars. Seattle's 12 is a shout out to the fans but not really necessary, and the one on the inside of the Redskins uniform is pretty stupid honestly. But the Panthers one is pretty special, IMO.

Which is the reason why I think the Panthers had the best ones out of the three. They have a strong deep story with it. Seattle too, but they already have the number retired and the flag thing.

Go A's!

The Sam Mills story is one that, for me, pushes the line of "I hate it" and "I'm in love with it." Individually, I think it's great, and I'd applaud a player doing such a memorial. I'm even cool with a team using that. But, I don't like the idea of it being a marketable feature. Anything that could be perceived to exploit a tragedy in the name of money making is not ok with me.

The Sam Mills story is one that, for me, pushes the line of "I hate it" and "I'm in love with it." Individually, I think it's great, and I'd applaud a player doing such a memorial. I'm even cool with a team using that. But, I don't like the idea of it being a marketable feature. Anything that could be perceived to exploit a tragedy in the name of money making is not ok with me.

I didn't know the replica Panthers jerseys had them too. Well, even if it did, I'd like to think fans would appreciate the tribute also. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd like something like that

Go A's!

It's not like they cost more money than other jerseys, and even the replicas have it in the collar. I see this as a genuine tribute, nothing whatsoever to do with marketing

It's not like they cost more money than other jerseys, and even the replicas have it in the collar. I see this as a genuine tribute, nothing whatsoever to do with marketing

I see it as marketing, personally.

Yes, "even the replicas have it." The replicas, however, choose not to have a cut that mimics the on-field product, use different numbering/lettering methods, and often take some liberty with the design itself in order for it to make sense on the replica cut. Keeping that slogan/saying/whatever, IMO, is a clear selling point.

On fan gear, I don't see it as any different than Adidas's use of Ware's injury to make money. Might it have some good intent somewhere? Sure, but it's absolutely using that negative event to make a buck.

Long rant short, what happened to corporate responsibility?

Yes, "even the replicas have it." The replicas, however, choose not to have a cut that mimics the on-field product, use different numbering/lettering methods, and often take some liberty with the design itself in order for it to make sense on the replica cut. Keeping that slogan/saying/whatever, IMO, is a clear selling point.

On fan gear, I don't see it as any different than Adidas's use of Ware's injury to make money. Might it have some good intent somewhere? Sure, but it's absolutely using that negative event to make a buck.

So, what you're saying is that there is no way Nike could win on this one... if they include it in the replicas, it's still just "a clear selling point" and if they only had it on the authentics then it would still just be another reason the authentics are better...

Besides, what company in their right minds would do anything to make a cheaper version of a product more appealing than a version that would net a larger profit?

So, what you're saying is that there is no way Nike could win on this one... if they include it in the replicas, it's still just "a clear selling point" and if they only had it on the authentics then it would still just be another reason the authentics are better...

Besides, what company in their right minds would do anything to make a cheaper version of a product more appealing than a version that would net a larger profit?

That's not what I'm saying at all.

For the sake of comparison, let's look at Troy Polamalu. Nike, if they really wanted to be accurate, would include the small cross he adds to his jerseys. Now, adding that is a ridiculously insignificant detail to the larger picture, but the addition of that cross would absolutely be a marketing point. We all know it's there, but by not having it on your product, you aren't using his story to sell his jersey. The Sam Mills thing is the same. Not having that doesn't change the product. By adding it, you have an additional detail to point to for sales. It's just something I'm not personally comfortable with from a company. It's exploitative in nature.

Now, if some kind of tribute was an integral part of a uniform (say a team makes some kind of design change to honor a player...I can't think of a good example off of the top of my head), that's a different story as its non-inclusion makes the product grossly inaccurate. I don't think the exclusion of a two word phrase makes that product so grossly inaccurate that it's "wrong." Hell, say a team adds a patch for a person in memorial - like Gene Upshaw. It's technically inaccurate to sell jerseys without said patch, but nobody would complain if their jersey didn't have that addition.

For the sake of comparison, let's look at Troy Polamalu. Nike, if they really wanted to be accurate, would include the small cross he adds to his jerseys. Now, adding that is a ridiculously insignificant detail to the larger picture, but the addition of that cross would absolutely be a marketing point. We all know it's there, but by not having it on your product, you aren't using his story to sell his jersey. The Sam Mills thing is the same. Not having that doesn't change the product. By adding it, you have an additional detail to point to for sales. It's just something I'm not personally comfortable with from a company. It's exploitative in nature.

Now, if some kind of tribute was an integral part of a uniform (say a team makes some kind of design change to honor a player...I can't think of a good example off of the top of my head), that's a different story as its non-inclusion makes the product grossly inaccurate. I don't think the exclusion of a two word phrase makes that product so grossly inaccurate that it's "wrong." Hell, say a team adds a patch for a person in memorial - like Gene Upshaw. It's technically inaccurate to sell jerseys without said patch, but nobody would complain if their jersey didn't have that addition.

Troy's cross is just one player and it's a personal thing for himself.

The Panthers' Sam Mills tribute is a team-wide design element on all jerseys. It's not exploitation. I see where you are coming from but since it's part of the team-wide design, it's merely just that.

Go A's!

Some dude on Twitter posted that EA Sports leaked the back of the Vikings jersey (presumably via Madden screenshots)...but I've seen nothing so far.

"@mizikey612: Just noticed @EASPORTS leaked the new @Vikings jersey,well the back of it! Not telling where but its out there!. So much 4 lock n key..." -mizikey612

Some dude on Twitter posted that EA Sports leaked the back of the Vikings jersey (presumably via Madden screenshots)...but I've seen nothing so far.

"@mizikey612: Just noticed @EASPORTS leaked the new @Vikings jersey,well the back of it! Not telling where but its out there!. So much 4 lock n key..." -mizikey612

That doesn't give us any new information.

Go A's!

The Panthers' Sam Mills tribute is a team-wide design element on all jerseys. It's not exploitation. I see where you are coming from but since it's part of the team-wide design, it's merely just that.

Which leads into the patch hypothetical. Why not include those (I get why they wouldn't from an inventory standpoint)? I just don't like the idea of it.

No but it tells us that the back of the uni is sitting out there somewhere to be discovered and leaked.

Which leads into the patch hypothetical. Why not include those (I get why they wouldn't from an inventory standpoint)? I just don't like the idea of it.

Because it's not part of the uniform. It's a personal thing that Troy adds to his uniform. Same thing with guys who prefer shorter cuts on their sleeves and whatnot. It's not only just inventory and mass production, but adding the cross is exploiting someone's faith for profit. Whereas for Sam Mills, it's part of the design. If it's not part of the design, then it's a different story. Nike didn't add the slogan on the jersey for marketing purposes. It isn't more expensive than any other replicas. Nike gave Panthers option for it and Panthers went with it. The team knew the deal so there isn't exploitation when it was there from the start.

No but it tells us that the back of the uni is sitting out there somewhere to be discovered and leaked.

The fact that it has not been "discovered" makes me suspicious. In this Internet age, if something is out there, it is found quickly.

Go A's!

Archived