New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

so lets pretend that in the beginning (1950s) facemasks were color coordinated. today you would be okay with color facemasks?

He's not saying he's not ok with color facemasks in general. He's just saying the hate for grey facemasks is silly (if I'm not mistaken)

Trying to get this back on track, grey facemasks have a long history with the Vikings. To me, using one in their design is plenty appropriate.

the Vikings have a longer history with purple masks 85-present over 25 seasons gray just 19 season yes the super bowl seasons. his statement stated something about gray being used for 3 decades before someone got cute with color, so I am asking had teams always had color masks and now let say gray was just a trendy thing with no history of jim brown or johnny U what would the feeling be? I am for traditional looks on teams but you should be able make tweaks and improvement and imo make a piece of equipment or part of the uniform a team color over a neutral color is an improvement.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have yet to hear a legitimate justification for including Gray facemasks (outside of it matching another uniform element).

How about this? A lot of people like them and think they look good. Or is "I like how it looks" not a "legitimate" argument? No offense, but looking for a "legitimate" argument to justify an opinion that is completely subjective is kind of silly.

This place cracks me up sometimes.

What cracks me up around here is when someone takes the "everything is subjective" route as opposed to taking at least some effort in articulating why their preference should be given any credibility beyond "I just like it". What I personally appreciate here is when differing points of view are backed up by thoughtful and somewhat meaningful reasoning. Doesnt mean I have to agree with it but at least I get a better understanding as to why that person feels that way.

No one is asking for a detailed dissertation with references and footnotes...just something else other than "I just like it".

Know what I mean?

I tried that and you and CWx called it a weak argument precisely because you two disagreed with me.

Just saying.

I have yet to hear a legitimate justification for including Gray facemasks (outside of it matching another uniform element).

How about this? A lot of people like them and think they look good. Or is "I like how it looks" not a "legitimate" argument? No offense, but looking for a "legitimate" argument to justify an opinion that is completely subjective is kind of silly.

What cracks me up around here is when someone takes the "everything is subjective" route as opposed to taking at least some effort in articulating why their preference should be given any credibility beyond "I just like it". What I personally appreciate here is when differing points of view are backed up by thoughtful and somewhat meaningful reasoning. Doesnt mean I have to agree with it but at least I get a better understanding as to why that person feels that way.

No one is asking for a detailed dissertation with references and footnotes...just something else other than "I just like it".

Know what I mean?

Yeah, but a few pages back, Ice Cap gave you a just that. He "articulated why his preference should be given any credibility beyond 'I just like it'". He thoughtfully explained that he saw the facemask as equipment, more than part of the uniform. You're response was "non sense". When faced with that, its probably best to fall back on "I like it."

Edit- Cap just beat me to it.

Indeed oldschoolvikings.

so lets pretend that in the beginning (1950s) facemasks were color coordinated. today you would be okay with color facemasks?

He's not saying he's not ok with color facemasks in general. He's just saying the hate for grey facemasks is silly (if I'm not mistaken)

Exactly. CWx didn't think there was an argument out there to justify grey facemasks. I provided him with one. He doesn't have to agree with it. powersurge doesn't either. It's an argument centred around a different perspective of looking at the football helmet as a piece of a uniform. I didn't set out to change his mind or powersurge's. I simply set out to prove that the argument does exist. I accomplished that.

I worked up a flat model of what we may or may not have seen so far. The helmet is a complete guess at this point.

VikingsMockUp_zpsee729401.png

If that's what it's going to look like, it's honestly kind of bland. A gray facemask would push it into disappointment territory.

I completely agree! That gray facemask ruins the whole set! A purple facemask would make this set a 9 out of 10....the grey facemask makes it a 2 out of 10.

Wait.. a gray facemask can bust a 9 out of 10 all the way down to a 2?

You are hilarious!

I must be hilarious as well...because I agree.

They're just pointless and unnecessary.

Amen to this just pointless like putting designs on helmets that you can barely see.

As could a chinstrap, but it's treated as equipment. Just differing opinions there. I don't think it's a weak argument - it's just not one you agree with.

Are you SERIOUSLY comparing a face mask to a chinstrap???? It is indeed a weak argument. A chinstrap is more like a pair of gloves or a mouth piece. A face mask occupies much more space and is directly featured prominently in any close up shot of a player's head. Do they feature chinstraps when they show the picture of a team's helmet? Rarely. Have you ever seen a helmet WITHOUT a face mask while still including a chin strap? It's a silly argument. What's next, comparing a face mask to ankle tape or elbow pad? C'mon now.

Co-incidentally, players often coordinate their gloves and mouthpieces to their uniforms, but not their chinstraps.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it a weak argument. If it was considered a piece of equipment, and everyone's facemasks were grey, things would be fine, just like they were when everyone's goalie pads and baseball gloves were brown, everyone's shoes were black, and everyone's underbill was green or grey. You like colored facemasks, but a lot of people don't see it the same way, and that's the way it is. To me, football is an old, tough game, and I like it to have an old, tough look. Personally, I don't get that from a yellow mask and a pearlescent or chrome shell.

I don't exactly dislike colored facemasks. Design-wise, most of them work just fine, but I tend to like uniforms that have a more historical look and character to them. Part of that is a sensical incorporation of neutral colors. Neutral greys, browns, blacks and tans add interest and balance to an ensemble and give the eye proper focal points to latch onto. In "real life" you rarely dress head to toe in bright colors (Craig Sager excepted). You might wear a bright red shirt, but it's balanced out with khaki chinos and brown oxfords. I like to see how I can incporporate a bit of balance when it comes to how much team color is used.

I generally like traditional design elements that look like they belong on a football uniform, but maybe they've been cleaned up or combined in such a way so that the uniform is less dated than it might otherwise be. It looks more unified and considered that way, or it could be that the mishmash of differing elements is the calling card, as the case may be. I also like digging into historical designs that we no longer see, because they are often as wacky as anything out there today.

My ideal uniform is one that looks like it could be from the 1950s when you pair it with a grey mask, but one that looks perfectly at home in 2013 with a colored mask. That's timeless design to me. Given that, my preference is as follows:

1. A grey mask (I think it looks tough and gritty, better embodying the game of football and its history for me, just like brown goalie pads in hockey)

2. A mask the same color as the helmet (this is best on dark helmets like the Bears' or Vikings' for me)

3. A mask that is the dark team color (for light helmets like the Packers' or Jets')

Obviously, all of this goes out the window with the way things are today (I don't like much of the design that's been done on the sports uniform front in the past 25 years).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Trying to get this back on track, grey facemasks have a long history with the Vikings. To me, using one in their design is plenty appropriate.

Thats NOT my quote. You edited out the actual poster. Go back and look at it again. I think you should be directing this to the true originator of this quote.

My apologies - the formatting was acting up when I posted. I'll edit it so it's correct.

So the Helmet is the same w/ just a grey mask? Is this for sure?

No. In fact, the helmet is what we know least about. We have seen nothing outside of the Jared Allen descriptive video.

While I am expecting a gray mask, we don't know for sure about that. And I think there is a possibility of a matte finish or a Seahawk-like pattern in the middle.

The helmet is probably the only true mystery left.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Know what I mean?

First off, how much time do you think I spend thinking about what you appreciate in a post? B) Second, in relation to this particular debate, everything is subjective. (When you can prove otherwise, please let me know. I already asked Lights Out but he hasn't gotten back to me on it.)

That said, if I had a better reason than I just like the way a gray facemask looks on certain uniforms, I would have stated it. The best I can give you is that I think it looks good with certain uniforms. For example, I think a gray facemask looks good with a traditional style uniform like SF's or Minnesota's throwbacks. I'm not crazy about Cleveland's gray facemasks, but it does work with their look. It works with Buffalo because a.) gray looks good as an accent to their color scheme and b.) their uniforms are a traditional style. On the other side of the coin, Arizona's gray facemasks look pretty bad with those clown suits they call uniforms. And I still can't give you a better argument than I just like how a gray facemask looks with certain uniforms.

I get that there are people here who want to apply rules and regulations to how things are supposed to work with uniform design. That's fine, and those folks are certainly entitled to that philosophy. But the very idea that there is a "legitimate" argument for why we like or don't like something is downright ridiculous. No matter how well, or how poorly, someone articulates the reasoning behind their opinion, when it's all said and done, it still comes down to "I like it" or "I don't like it." Sorry if that doesn't meet your expectations. Actually, I'm really not but I thought I'd be polite. B)

BB52Big.jpg

The arguments for/against grey facemasks are exactly why I love this board.

I'll just echo what some have said about preferring colored facemasks to grey ones if possible but I really wouldn't mind either. What we've seen of the coming Vikings unis so far sways me more towards a purple facemask because for as simple as the design looks to be, it doesn't harken me back to the old uniforms like a true retro look should.

No need to capitalize on a fauxback look by going with a grey facemask when they have the opportunity now to create a solid new identity moving forward.

Midway.png

Grey face masks aside, does anyone else think the stripes look like they aren't straight across, like perhaps they take the shape of a ships sail?

Maybe it's just me idk.

I actually wouldn't mind if they use a chevron design, but I think they are going for simple and a straight stripe is the best way IMO

Go A's!

The arguments for/against grey facemasks are exactly why I love this board.

I'll just echo what some have said about preferring colored facemasks to grey ones if possible but I really wouldn't mind either. What we've seen of the coming Vikings unis so far sways me more towards a purple facemask because for as simple as the design looks to be, it doesn't harken me back to the old uniforms like a true retro look should.

No need to capitalize on a fauxback look by going with a grey facemask when they have the opportunity now to create a solid new identity moving forward.

While that definitely makes sense, the "tough" comments from Allen (coupled with the relatively restrained uniform teasers we've gotten) suggests to me that the helmet is probably going to go with a matte finish and grey.

That's completely speculative and not based on much of anything other than the commentary from people here (and other places) mentioning how they think grey facemasks look tough and matte looks manly.

So the Helmet is the same w/ just a grey mask? Is this for sure?

No. In fact, the helmet is what we know least about. We have seen nothing outside of the Jared Allen descriptive video.

While I am expecting a gray mask, we don't know for sure about that. And I think there is a possibility of a matte finish or a Seahawk-like pattern in the middle.

The helmet is probably the only true mystery left.

I'm hoping for just a grey mask so I can just take off the purple one and screw on one of the extra grey ones from left over mini helmets. Otherwise I'll be buying 3 new minis this year instead of 2. I wonder how riddell will tackle the 2 tone on the jags mini.

Getting back to the jersey numbers, someone did a great job on a jersey mock-up, based on the clues we have. Well, I thought I would throw in a mock-up with a font that I thought looked pretty good. Two versions: rounded & squared. One with outlines, one with plain white. Who'll be first to correctly guess the font I used?

VikingsUniform-28-tv_zps05cd886a.jpg?t=1366324394

Looks to me like the Captain America font (Also used in the college football schedule posters thread)

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Here's the main issue with the "facemasks are just a part of equipment" defense: it's just pretending.

Facemasks aren't just a random piece of equipment. There a part of the uniform design, and we all know it. They are colored intentionally. There is no going back on that.

Chin straps have not reached that point. And until they do, it'll be an apples to oranges comparison and a lame rationalization.

My own two cents: grey facemasks can look super out of place. See the Cardinals for that one. However, like someone a page or two before this had said, the Vikes do have a history with grey and I don't think it would take so much away from the overall design, especially if you're watching a game. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a purple facemask, although I wouldn't love that. Gold and white masks would just be silly.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Here's the main issue with the "facemasks are just a part of equipment" defense: it's just pretending.

Facemasks aren't just a random piece of equipment. There a part of the uniform design, and we all know it. They are colored intentionally. There is no going back on that.

Chin straps have not reached that point. And until they do, it'll be an apples to oranges comparison and a lame rationalization.

Chinstraps have definitely reached that point in NCAA competition.

They haven't in the NFL because rules don't allow it. If the NFL were to mandate all facemasks to be one color, the equipment argument stands just as it does now.

I mean, the helmet is just equipment, but you can use it for design elements if you so choose. Same goes for the facemask - it's equipment, but if you choose to do something with it, cool. I just think all of the grey facemask hate is a bit silly (and often comes down to a "my opinion is more valid than yours!" type of argument).

Archived