New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

Now that we've seen the sleeve stripes, i cant help but think of the pant stripe that never really seemed right. Given what clues we've received and the little skosh of white on the right edge, I came up with this:

VikesStripes.jpg

I could see this on a white sleeve as well, which would basically be a modern take on northwestern stripes.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that we've seen the sleeve stripes, i cant help but think of the pant stripe that never really seemed right. Given what clues we've received and the little skosh of white on the right edge, I came up with this:

VikesStripes.jpg

I could see this on a white sleeve as well, which would basically be a modern take on northwestern stripes.

While I like the look of that, the stitching at the right side of the mesh panel suggests we won't see a white mesh stripe. That would, however, make for an interesting take on Northwestern striping.

VikesStripes.jpg

While I like the look of that, the stitching at the right side of the mesh panel suggests we won't see a white mesh stripe. That would, however, make for an interesting take on Northwestern striping.

Good catch.

Here's my thought on how the sleeve stripe could transition from home to road (keeping the gold surrounded by purple), and as a bonus, visually connect to the pants stripe.

AJUNK_zps2fb8efc1.png

(By the way, I think this counts as my first time ever for posting a concept)

The sleeve stripes they appear to be going for kind of remind me of these Redskins sleeves. Yeah, they're not identical but it still brings them to mind.

williams-sbxxii.0_standard_352.0.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Here's my thought on how the sleeve stripe could transition from home to road (keeping the gold surrounded by purple), and as a bonus, visually connect to the pants stripe.

AJUNK_zps2fb8efc1.png

The sleeve stripes they appear to be going for kind of remind me of these Redskins sleeves. Yeah, they're not identical but it still brings them to mind.

That's actually how the redskins should look. They should have sleeve stripes, not invisible cuff stripes. They would look infinitely better if they did a bears/chiefs tweak.

I'm sorry if the term rubs you wrong, but "pretending" is the exact term I intended and still intend to use. I don't think it's a poor choice of words, and I certainly don't see how it's insulting or dismissive. That seems like quite a leap. I still think it's more or less pretending.

The problem with "pretending" as a word choice in this context is that it makes presumptions about your fellow posters and their motives.

The word implies a level of dishonesty, as if the other person knows something is not true but continues to act as though it is. It's impossible not to infer some sort of dismissiveness out of it, at the very least.

It's always better to discuss the opinion and not the person. This word choice makes that very hard.

I suppose so, but the conversation was already beyond the opinion, it was about the logic or reasoning behind the opinion.

And I was merely echoing CW's view that it's a "weak argument". I guess I could avoid the word pretending, but the bottom line is I don't it's not a valid line of reasoning because it's simply not true. The facemask is not just a piece of equipment overlooked in the design process. The color of the facemaks is a conscious choice in every uniform set in the league (except arguably the Raiders and Cowboys).

VikesStripes.jpg

I like the idea of this, but if this is what they're doing it looks like the stripes on the pants are going to be spaced out more than they are on the jersey. This will bother me a lot.

AJUNK_zps2fb8efc1.png

That's actually how the redskins should look. They should have sleeve stripes, not invisible cuff stripes. They would look infinitely better if they did a bears/chiefs tweak.

I'm shocked the Redskins didn't have Nike fix the sleeve stripes last year like the Chiefs did.

VikesStripes.jpg

This makes a lot of sense & looks alot better so I hope this is what we will see.

I'm sorry if the term rubs you wrong, but "pretending" is the exact term I intended and still intend to use. I don't think it's a poor choice of words, and I certainly don't see how it's insulting or dismissive. That seems like quite a leap. I still think it's more or less pretending.

The problem with "pretending" as a word choice in this context is that it makes presumptions about your fellow posters and their motives.

The word implies a level of dishonesty, as if the other person knows something is not true but continues to act as though it is. It's impossible not to infer some sort of dismissiveness out of it, at the very least.

It's always better to discuss the opinion and not the person. This word choice makes that very hard.

I suppose so, but the conversation was already beyond the opinion, it was about the logic or reasoning behind the opinion.

And I was merely echoing CW's view that it's a "weak argument". I guess I could avoid the word pretending, but the bottom line is I don't it's not a valid line of reasoning because it's simply not true. The facemask is not just a piece of equipment overlooked in the design process. The color of the facemaks is a conscious choice in every uniform set in the league (except arguably the Raiders and Cowboys).

The thing about that, though, is that I was discussing an alternative viewpoint. A way of looking at the subject that tends to not be considered specifically because everyone views the facemask as something that must be considered as part of the uniform. Of course that's how it is. I was simply stating that maybe, just maybe, that's not how it should be. There's a difference between saying "I know it's this way but maybe it should be that way" and pretending something is what it isn't, you know ;)

Or to turn it around on you, I remember the last time we discussed this argument, and you claimed that the comparison to the hockey helmet cages and visors weren't valid because in your opinion you felt they should be colour coordinated. If I was in a snarky mood I could say that you, in that instance, were pretending because you were trying to claim cages were part of the uniform and more then equipment when literally every team in the game views them as nothing but equipment. I didn't though, because that would have been a poor choice of words. You weren't pretending, you were simply stating your preference for an alternate way of looking at something. Which is what I'm doing with the "grey masks as equipment" argument.

As for CWx, again I really don't care what his opinions are on the matter. He hates grey masks. Ok, cool. That's his opinion, and he's certainly entitled to it. I only posted the "maybe we should simply consider it a piece of equipment, like a chinstrap" theory because he went on about how there's no legitimate justification for grey masks. I wasn't trying to change his mind on the subject, just to point out that reasonable argument exist, whether he agrees with it or not.

I do apologize for my tone getting a bit testy earlier, but I've heard that "piece of equipment" argument dozens of times before. I just don't think it holds water; to me, it seems like an excuse or a rationalization.

My view is that the facemask is part of the helmet - not a separate entity. Additionally, I feel that it should be a team color, and either the same color as the shell, or a darker color. I don't even like helmets like the Chiefs where the mask is White on a Red shell. Draws too much attention the facemask, which is front-and-center over the player's face. I think that the mask should blend more with the helmet; giving it a more overall unified look.

Chinstraps - IMO, they should also match the helmet shell color.

And yes, I think hockey and baseball equipment should follow suit. Although, I've never liked the look of team color baseball gloves...!

'tis all good. Like I said I wasn't trying to convert you or anything (I've been around here long enough to know that would be a waste of time :D ).

Though I do think the Cardinals would look incredibly sharp with a black mask should they ever tire of the grey :)

I do apologize for my tone getting a bit testy earlier, but I've heard that "piece of equipment" argument dozens of times before. I just don't think it holds water; to me, it seems like an excuse or a rationalization.

My view is that the facemask is part of the helmet - not a separate entity. Additionally, I feel that it should be a team color, and either the same color as the shell, or a darker color. I don't even like helmets like the Chiefs where the mask is White on a Red shell. Draws too much attention the facemask, which is front-and-center over the player's face. I think that the mask should blend more with the helmet; giving it a more overall unified look.

Chinstraps - IMO, they should also match the helmet shell color.

And yes, I think hockey and baseball equipment should follow suit. Although, I've never liked the look of team color baseball gloves...!

The NFL holds the helmet as the identity of the team and facemask is apart of the helmet. In fact, when I think of a helmet, I believe it is everything on the helmet. I have never thought of it as an attachment and I believe it is foolish to think so.

spacer.png

First off, sorry for keeping the fasemask thing alive but here's my take.

I really like the grey facemasks and ive always seen it as an attachment to the helmet. Never invested to much thought into it

BUT

I do get how you see it as one. Kinda like having a purple car with grey hood?

VikesStripes.jpg

Just by judging the size of the mesh holes in the stripe, this seems to be a lot more likely.

spacer.png

Hopefully this can settle the pants stripe argument. The mesh holes in the top image are pretty much the exact same size.

Vikings%20Pant%20Stripe_o.png

Nice work.

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that teaser pick is of an asymmetrical stripe... the visible seam at the far right edge right next to the white sliver already kind of settled it to me, but this nails it. The denials are pretty much a wishful thinking IMO. That is, unless this particular tease is intentionally designed to send us off in the wrong direction. (Remember the Notre Dame helmet tease for their strange one-off uniform from last year?)

Archived