New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

I've always loved the Vikings' helmets. But I have to admit that learning real vikings never had helmet horns has kinda spoiled it for me. Looks cool and all but if a large part of your identify is not based in reality...that's a bummer.

"reality isn't reality. perception is reality" - Rand Paul. most people think of vikings with horns. thats the viking brand

Sorry, but I had fix your Rand Paul quote, he is my senator.

Oh dear god. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

2ec520676c53b91a11177e6f49cf3cd3.gif

I am sorry about the original reply. By the way, who it that in your .gif?

Morgan Freeman.

fixed it for you

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always loved the Vikings' helmets. But I have to admit that learning real vikings never had helmet horns has kinda spoiled it for me. Looks cool and all but if a large part of your identify is not based in reality...that's a bummer.

"reality isn't reality. perception is reality" - Rand Paul. most people think of vikings with horns. thats the viking brand

Sorry, but I had fix your Rand Paul quote, he is my senator.

Oh dear god. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

2ec520676c53b91a11177e6f49cf3cd3.gif

I am sorry about the original reply. By the way, who it that in your .gif?

Morgan Freeman.

fixed it for you

From Shawshank Redemption.

spacer.png

You guys see any clues in this Vine the NFL just posted?

https://vine.co/v/bPeqT5rTDIB

I paused it basically frame by frame and couldn't see jerseys for the Jags, Dolphins, or Vikings. They must have conveniently left them out.

Does the neck roll look skinnier than last year on some of these?

Yes. Some of the teams have switched their collars to the new jersey template from Nike. For instance, the Chargers removed their toilet seat collars altogether.

The neck roll is also thinner on the low end replica jersey.

At this point, I'll be surprised if there isn't a gray mask.

And that would be a shame. I don't dislike gray facemasks in general, but they are clearly wrong in some cases. I could understand using a gray facemask if this was an actual throwback set, such at the '70s set with an updated horn and matching purples. However, if they are changing stuff up, going with a :censored:ty rounded block font and using an entirely new striping pattern, there is no reason whatsoever to use a gray facemask. It's like the Bills - their "traditional" uniform really isn't traditional because they put crappy collars, muddied everything with navy, and put a widening stripe on the helmet, but after all that, they throw a freaking gray facemask on.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I won tickets to the UNIFORM PARTY (where coincidentally the draft party takes place) So i'll have some pictures up very quickly as a sideline reporter.

steele3.jpg

For what it's worth, by luck of the dispatch I will also just so happen to be in Minneapolis on Unveiling Day.

muahahahaha.gif

:P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Cowboys (ranch hands) didn't wear stars, that was for law officers.

The star on the Cowboys helmet is for Texas. "The Lone Star State". That is why it isn't shaped like a badge.

And that would be a shame. I don't dislike gray facemasks in general, but they are clearly wrong in some cases. I could understand using a gray facemask if this was an actual throwback set, such at the '70s set with an updated horn and matching purples. However, if they are changing stuff up, going with a :censored:ty rounded block font and using an entirely new striping pattern, there is no reason whatsoever to use a gray facemask. It's like the Bills - their "traditional" uniform really isn't traditional because they put crappy collars, muddied everything with navy, and put a widening stripe on the helmet, but after all that, they throw a freaking gray facemask on.

I tend to agree with you. I dont mind gray on throw backs at all, or if it's in your color scheme. The whole reason they were gray in the first place was technology, or lack there of, to color match the plastics on those days. Yes, part of it had to do with people not even thinking of the idea to change the color. Think of it as the Michigan Fab Five wearing black socks for basketball. People just didnt think of doing it then till someone, ya know, actually did think of it.

Now days, going with gray face masks is not needed when there is technology to do other colors. I mean, look at what Oregon State did with their face masks... stripes!

I guess what i am trying to say is that they had their place back in the day and certainly on throw backs, but to use them today just to use them because its your aesthetic preference is not smart design. As in everything, the design should be purposeful and objective based, not subjective.

Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Cowboys (ranch hands) didn't wear stars, that was for law officers.

The star on the Cowboys helmet is for Texas. "The Lone Star State". That is why it isn't shaped like a badge.

Thanks, you saved me from having to say that.

And my original post should have included, "Cue posts saying "well, (whatever) doesn''t have (whatever) too." Yeah, I know. And if Notre Dame had beards on their helmets then that would bother me too. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I tend to agree with you. I dont mind gray on throw backs at all, or if it's in your color scheme. The whole reason they were gray in the first place was technology, or lack there of, to color match the plastics on those days. Yes, part of it had to do with people not even thinking of the idea to change the color. Think of it as the Michigan Fab Five wearing black socks for basketball. People just didnt think of doing it then till someone, ya know, actually did think of it.

Now days, going with gray face masks is not needed when there is technology to do other colors. I mean, look at what Oregon State did with their face masks... stripes!

I guess what i am trying to say is that they had their place back in the day and certainly on throw backs, but to use them today just to use them because its your aesthetic preference is not smart design. As in everything, the design should be purposeful and objective based, not subjective.

I'll give this horse one more thump. Often the teams that use gray facemaskes do so to invoke a sense of nostalgia. A kind of 'this is the team your grandpa watched and we still embrace that brand of hard-nosed football', so it is definitely purposeful and I feel it works for teams like the Browns, Niners and Bills. The Cardinals have no excuse.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I'll give this horse one more thump. Often the teams that use gray facemaskes do so to invoke a sense of nostalgia. A kind of 'this is the team your grandpa watched and we still embrace that brand of hard-nosed football', so it is definitely purposeful and I feel it works for teams like the Browns, Niners and Bills. The Cardinals have no excuse.

I grew up a Browns fans and during my time as a youth, we did not wear gray facemasks so your point may be misleading. By the way I grew up in the Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar era when the team looked outstanding.

Brian_Sipe_best(1).JPG09000d5d8051a33e.jpeg

spacer.png

White facemasks on a colored helmet never look good. They end up being way too bright and distracting. The facemask should be a compliment to the helmet and not a distraction. This is what the Chiefs, Redskins and Patriot's helmets all have wrong.

I grew up a Browns fans and during my time as a youth, we did not wear gray facemasks so your point may be misleading. By the way I grew up in the Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar era when the team looked outstanding.

Brian_Sipe_best(1).JPG09000d5d8051a33e.jpeg

When I said that they are trying to invoke a sense of notalgia, I didn't mean for any team in particular, but more for an era where most teams wore gray masks...Love those orange pants, by the way.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

White facemasks on a colored helmet never look good. They end up being way too bright and distracting. The facemask should be a compliment to the helmet and not a distraction. This is what the Chiefs, Redskins and Patriot's helmets all have wrong.

Chiefs and Redskins have two of the better-looking helmets in the league. The Skins' gold facemask is what makes the helmet great.

Compare and gell me what looks better:

3001283_RM_Redskins_72_77_2.png

23-41654-Y.jpg

Again:

dhf_82058_l.jpg221001139.jpg

kansas-city-chiefs-replica-mini-helmet-3349635.jpg

The Patriots look fine with the red facemask, but the horrible logo kills their helmet.

87Redskins.png

I gotta tell you, I REALLY appreciate that this particular thread has become the dumping ground for this endless bitchfest about gray facemasks. I check back here to see if anything has leaked, get all excited when the page count has bumped up, thinking something has actually happened, and get to read the same arguments over again. We get it. Some of you *cough nuordr cough* hate gray facemasks and feel the need to say so in every post. Awesome. And, yes, I'm aware that I'm a giant hypocrite who has also been pulled into this discussion... nothing makes you more annoyed than when you're also annoyed with yourself.

Can I sum this up? Some people like gray facemasks for the image they project. Some people dislike gray facemasks because gray isn't a team color. Have I forgotten anyting?

How about starting a new thread on gray facemasks? This Viking fan is currently obsessed and anxious for news on the new uniform, and looking for that here.

End of rant... extreme appologies all around.

And by the way, since somebody asked... the Redskins' helmet looks ridiculous with the yellow mask. Oh, yeah... IMO.

not to Cleveland jack this but the Browns best look was 85-95 white masks included, but then I like white facemask especially on white helmets glad to see the dolphins going to that

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Archived