New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week on CSI: CCSLC, the team investigates the new Vikings stripes in a :censored:ing mirror.

My gods, how I love this site.

Are you a Battlestar Galactica fan, is that a typo, or do you really worship multiple deities?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Is there any way that you can imprint helmet logos onto the helmet itself or are teams that cheap that they stick with shiny decals?

I think it's actually the opposite of cheap. From what I've read about the Texans and other teams (so I'm assuming it's true of them all) players have at least two helmets, one for practice and a game day helmet which is reconditioned WEEKLY! It's striped and re-decaled every week in order to prevent the helmets looking knackered by week 16.

If you for want of a better word, imprint or sublimate a graphic onto the helmet there's no way to improve it's appearance once damaged. You can remove a torn or damaged decal and refresh the helmet easy enough from one week to the next but a player isn't going to want to break in a new helmet every week.

But I'm with you on the fact that gloss decals on matte helmets looks naff to say the least, although of all the instances I've seen this Viking helemt appears to be the least worst, if that makes sense.

Hmm. Well in that case there's got to be a way you can have those decals created so that they don't have a glossy finish. It looks inexcusably bad.

Or, they could just go with a glossy finish on the helmet, so that the glossy decal doesn't stand out. Why change to a matte finish, knowing that the decal is glossy, other than 'because we can'?

I asked about this in the Jaguars thread, because the glossy decal is so jarring to me on the matte portion of the helmet. I can't get past that point. The Seahawks helmet at least isn't matte, so the effect isn't so pronounced. Maybe that is what the Vikings helmet will be (satin, not matte, not gloss).

It's where I sit.

Clever one-liners aside, I don't understand the mockery of people who are examining the photos and trying to extrapolate the elements of the final Vikings uniform design. Everyone was eager to whip up concepts and speculate based on 3 inch segments of the uniform shown in the teasers, staged videos of Jared Allen, and extremely vague quotes. But now that we have actual pictures of the actual uniforms, we shouldn't "investigate" these images? Doesn't add up.

That said, here is what we know:

1) We have seen a photgraph of a reflected image of the home jersey that strongly suggests there will be some tapering / flaring of the white shoulder stripe. The distortion of the reflection makes it difficult to determine the exact shape of this stripe, but it is virtually certain that the striping does not continue in the same skinny-parallel-line fashion as shown in the teaser.

screenshot20130423at224.pngcCODEzS.jpgShoulder_Stripes.jpg

2) We have seen a photograph that clearly demonstrates the yellow in the pant stripe gets thicker as it approaches the bottom of the pants (look at the bottom of Greenway's pants). The teaser (assuming it was indeed the pants stripe) showed only an a symmetrical striping pattern that did not appear to taper at all. So it would appear as though the pant stripe begins as shown in the teaser, but then progressively widens as it moves down the pants.

New-Dolphins-Vikings-Jaguars-Uniforms.jpgBHkmwFhCcAAqUFk_medium.jpg

3) The facemasks are black (....right?) and the helmet is either a matte or satin finish. The horns may or may not be differently oriented and/or sized.

What is strange to me is that it appears the Vikings deliberately misled the fanbase with their teasers. The teasers emphasized the traditional and simple look of the uniforms, and conceleaed all of the flaring / tapering and the spikey serifs on the first digit of the numbers. I suppose this was to enhance the element of surprise, but obviously that's no longer possible.

It would be cool if some one could design a quick and dirty concept based on the information / speculation we now know. Unfortunately I don't think my MS Paint skills will suffice. Or, we could always just wait another 32 hours, but where's the fun in that?

Okay, I didn't notice until the whole mirror-stripe thing but look at the right edge of this pic. It's not much but the white stripe is clearly slight wider on that side than on the left where it originates at the seam. Look at the top edge of the white stripe compared to the top edge of the gold (yellow, whatever) stripe. The white one appears to have a curve upward where the gold one is straight across.

Shoulder_Stripes.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Here's my super-pixelated blurry-reflection hypothesis. At first I could see the upturned white stripe amidst the face of Jesus and Chewbacca, yadda yadda.

However, I think it may be the overlap of the road jersey in the reflection. This shows the original, both jerseys, then just the home, and just the road:

screenshot20130423at224.pngvikingsboth.jpgvikingshome.jpgvikingsroad.jpg

This, then, makes me think that it will end up looking like OSV's concept...which would be a GREAT thing.

Not by any means, does this mean ANYTHING. But it's fun to speculate until tomorrow!

Okay, I didn't notice until the whole mirror-stripe thing but look at the right edge of this pic. It's not much but the white stripe is clearly slight wider on that side than on the left where it originates at the seam. Look at the top edge of the white stripe compared to the top edge of the gold (yellow, whatever) stripe.

Shoulder_Stripes.jpg

You're not the only one who thought that. I was literally about to post the same thing.

I didn't see this, but I travelled to the NikeBlog and found this:

Edit: WOW. It was right above this. I feel very stupid right about now

I've been in denial, but it looks like it's true. I'd say you can just see the taper starting on the white stripe in the above photo of the purple jersey. I suppose that could be the curve the sleeve, but it looks like it's starting to go upward. Disappointing, if true. This sort of blows the "traditional" look away. Nike just has to put its little stamp on there (and the team just has to let them do it). I wish uniform design was about visualizing the team and not about promoting the manufacturer.

(of course, I am clinging to that 5% chance that we are wrong and these are just two normal stripes...then all my whining is for naught).

Also disappointing is that the more I see these photos, the more I think that mask is black. Just like the U of Minnesota. Why? There is no need for either team to do this. This mask would like fine in purple.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here's my super-pixelated blurry-reflection hypothesis. At first I could see the upturned white stripe amidst the face of Jesus and Chewbacca, yadda yadda.

However, I think it may be the overlap of the road jersey in the reflection. This shows the original, both jerseys, then just the home, and just the road:

This, then, makes me think that it will end up looking like OSV's concept...which would be a GREAT thing.

Not by any means, does this mean ANYTHING. But it's fun to speculate until tomorrow!

It is fun indeed. And thanks for putting this together. If it is indeed a mirage and only shows the white uniform overlapping the purple, that still does not explain what appears to be a tapered pants stripe.

The yellow is definitely thicker (and, as a result, the purple is thinner) on the bottom of the pants. Assuming this is not another mirage, I think the shoulder stripe will have to taper as well to maintain some design consistency. I envison the new shoulder stripe being an update version of the stripe/horn/swoosh thing on the '06-'12 shoulders.

Well, maybe these uniforms won't reflect poorly on the Vikings.

I'm done now.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

It seems that a lot of people don't know what the word "clearly" means.

BlueSky said the white stripe was "clearly" wider that the yellow stripe on the right side of this image. It is. Shoulder_Stripes.jpg

I said that the leaked uniform picture "clearly" shows the yellow gets thicker as it moves down the pant. I suppose you have a point here. All that the picture "clearly" shows is that the yellow stripe is much thicker at the bottom of the pant than the yellow stripe released in the teaser image. So if we are to believe that the teaser image shows the top of the pants striping, then it does clearly demonstrate that the yellow gets bigger as it moves downward.

New-Vikings-Uniforms-2.jpg

Archived