New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

So that Vikings helmet seems like something very much in line with what the team has worn before. Purple shell, horns on the sides. There are differences, definitely, but it does look like what we'd expect a Vikings helmet to look like.

What's that now? Strike seven for Reddit Guy/BradyIsMyHomeboy?

I gotta interject here. I get that being an :censored: is your forte,

Aren't you special. See, I just get peeved when people do the whole "obviously lying but won't admit it" angle because it lowers the discussion. We all have to spend time debunking the troll instead of just talking about the topic. I don't know if you're connected to either BradyIsMyHomeboy or Reddit Guy, but if you truly aren't you're still contributing to the problem by spreading their rumours. Rumours which have repeatedly shown to be false.

and that the helmet was unlike any they had ever worn.

And yet the helmet we're seeing is very much like the past helmet designs the Vikings have worn. As for everything else, Gr3g3 covered it pretty well.

No. Reddit guy said the Jags would have three pants and the Dolphins would have a crazy 3rd jersey. So no. Just stop.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you set out to design an identity, and the best comments one can make are "I guess it's better than the last one," you have failed.

The number font is absolutely ridiculous. It is the Nikest of the silly gimmicky Nike fonts to date, and it's half-assed, to boot. Seriously, this is something which belongs on an embarassing Pro Combot uniform which will be worn once.

The sleeve stripes are bad. The idea isn't the worst ever, but they don't work on today's cap sleeves. Nearly the whole sleeve looks white from the back. They don't look bad on the replicas, however.

The pants stripes are okay. I'm not a fan of the assymetrical stripes, personally, but at least they span the whole length of the pants and don't flair in or out. So, that's good.

The helmet is a fail. The horns look worse nearly touching. They also had an opportunity to re-orient the horns so they aren't cut off on the new helmet style, and they didn't do that. The black facemask is also terrible. It isn't as much of a visual affront because it will disappear from a distance, but it's a terrible decision that makes no sense at all, and was done like the number font, so Nike could leave their mark.

All in all, a promising set with a few fatal flaws. I would give it a C+. But at least it's better than the last set, I guess.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Wow, the white stripe DOES go up in back. That looks bad. As do the numbers. AND A BLACK FACEMASK! BWAHAHAHAHA!

hahahaha a jaguars fan making fun of this......

that's funny.......the gold rustoleum on the back of the jags helmet is hilarious also

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

So if you go to the Nike reveal site here is their design explination, it is all about the bow of the ship:

"The environment in Minnesota also served as a foundation for the Vikings new design – a harsh, yet beautiful combination of land, water and weather. A Viking is a man of adventure, strength and exploration. They built their ships and tools with a refined craftsmanship and ornamentation, and in much the same way the uniform design features strong simple lines that reflect the curves found in the bow of a Viking ship. The same design lines are seen on ancient Viking horns as depicted on the side of the new matte purple football helmets.

The unique new numbers and font are reminiscent of early Viking uniform designs but now feature curved serifs also reflecting the bow of a Viking ship.

As a reminder to the athletes as they suit up for the season, the inside back jersey neckline features a simple ornamental design also similar to those seen in traditional Norse culture."

Yup, there will be an inside collar design...

That away jersey is easily in top 3 unis in nfl IMO.

Don't know if anyone's gone over it but in the Nike discription it says matte helmet. I love it. BW3 away uni here I come.

Also, don't the sleves on the Allen replica look a little longer than normal?

Wow, the white stripe DOES go up in back. That looks bad. As do the numbers. AND A BLACK FACEMASK! BWAHAHAHAHA!

that's funny.......the gold rustoleum on the back of the jags helmet is hilarious also

This

This is going to be among the weirdest comments ever, but:

If you turn the Jared Allen jersey picture counterclockwise 90 degrees, the space between the 6 and 9 looks like the top of the Hartford Whalers logo.

I told you it was weird.

Oh: And this is a job well done. I'm a big fan of this set.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Good thing I've already stated I hate the new Jags helmet.

The shape of the horns on the helmet must be a little bit different. In the back, they seem a bit flatter, as though they don't curve up as much as on the previous helmet, reminiscent of the older/original helmet horn shapes. This might account for why it is now closer to touching in the back.

Hard to find a good picture straight-on of the back of the previous helmet, but here is a bit of a comparison:

620x460q80.jpeg

20121021__Peterson%201.jpg

Helmet: No opinion really on the finish of the helmet. I would have been fine with pretty much anything. The horns touching on the back is stupid, though. It makes sense for the Seahawks because of what the logo is, but there's no reason that the horns should be touching in the back. The black facemask is unnecessary too. They were fine with purple facemasks and this just seems like changing something just so that it's different. I guess there's a little black in the helmet logo, so it's not totally out of the blue, but still looks out of place with the rest of the uniform.

Jerseys: Would have absolutely loved these if the stripes were straight. I get what they were going for with widening the stripes, but it just doesn't work. The numbers are probably my least favorite part. Simple block numbers would have been perfect. Even that rounded font without the edges flaring out would have been fine.

Pants: The only part of the uniform where they didn't do something unnecessary to make them look cooler, so they're the best. Kind of disappointed that the striping on the white jerseys doesn't match the white pants. Especially since we'll probably see that combination on the road most often.

Overall, it's a definite upgrade and a great looking uniform set, but it's disappointing that it's so close to being perfect. They got too cute with everything when they just needed to settle on a classic look. Straight stripes on the pants, no goofy numbers, and a purple facemask would have been perfect.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

This is going to be among the weirdest comments ever, but:

If you turn the Jared Allen jersey picture counterclockwise 90 degrees, the space between the 6 and 9 looks like the top of the Hartford Whalers logo.

I get it.

To continue the boat theme, the serifs on the first number in relation to the non serif second number creates a boat shape in the vertical space between the two. Kinda neat.

Ohhhh, I see it now. Good idea in theory, not so much in execution.

To continue the boat theme, the serifs on the first number in relation to the non serif second number creates a boat shape in the vertical space between the two. Kinda neat.

So a single digit player gets a sole, non-serifed numeral?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

So a single digit player gets a sole, non-serifed numeral?

After thinking about it, I dont think it was their attempt. They say the serifs mimic the bow, and as far as I know, the bow is the part that sticks out to help the Hull cut through the water. So the negative space creating a boat is just a happy accident.

One swoop, the shoulder stripes I can deal with (actually looks cool) Two swoop, the jersey numbers not so good. Three swoops, just happy no third on the pants like I was thinking. Two swoops ok!! - I also am happy with the fact that the back of the uniform looks a football uniform. I never liked the Viking logo and the name lettering lower coupled by the smaller numbers.

6hrq0k.png

Archived