New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

The black mask isnt that big of a deal, seriously. When you look at the helmet from a distance, like most of the camera views of the TV during action, the black does not jump out, and doesnt force your focus to the facemask like the grey would... at least the outline of the horns are black, yes i realize some of you are against that, but whatever, it is how it is, and that outline has been there for a while now... the grey would look so out of place with these new modern-traditional uniforms. purple masks would be nice, but they are black, and will be black for a few years now...

and just wait a few years and watch them add black trim to jerseys because hey it on the helmet and facemask and than a couple more and we have ourselves a kewl black alternative jersey just like the lions

Yeah, this is my concern, as well. The small bits of black on the helmet are by no means egregious on their own (I never really minded the black horn outline... I thought it was unnecessary, but fairly harmless) but the facemask does open the door a crack, to black making its way onto the rest of the uniform, and then a crappy black alt. Money talks, and all the young pinheads who cheer on those embarrassing youtube videos every time some podunk college team drags out a tired black alt, would go wild for them.

(By the way, I should say my concerns about the black facemask are not an endorsement of a gray mask on this particular uniform. When I was advocating a gray mask it was with the thought that this new uniform was going to have more of a connection to throwback look. This uniform is, to my eyes, pretty modern, and therefore would look silly with a gray mask. Needs purple.)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like striped socks especially these from the Rams

Pay dennis no mind. He is a clown and a tired excuse for a troll.

iv'e said for a couple of years now what CWX mentioned above. black is a modern neutral. the idea for the Bills was the same as the Vikings, to have a modern-retro design. the Bills went more for the past while the Vikings went more for the future. i love the addition of the black mask and it's not random at all. no more then a grey mask on the Colts or Browns. there's even black in the logo, so you cant say it's the only peice of black in there (not that you did, but its not "random"). i'm guessing the standard glove and shoe color is also black

yes, with the satin finish, the black makes even more sense. you want to see tacky and cheap? look at where the matte finished helmets are met with a gloss mask of the same color. the most recent is the Jaguars. i dont know who has swapped sides of the mask color debate, but it is about attitude. design is communication and everything has a personality. on this helmet, black dosent act as a distraction because of high contrast like a grey mask would. grey mask on a dark shell would lok a bit odd (but its oddities like that i like when it fits. again i bring up the Colts and browns) the black is hardly noticeable and that's the point. i think this is one of the very best helmets in the league now

I normally disagree with you about pretty much everything. This is no exception. Designers can try to claim that black is a modern neutral, but it's not. It's just not. It doesn't work. Neutral works with all colors. White is obviously neutral. Gray is traditionally neutral. That's why there are gray road uniforms in baseball and not black ones. Black is overpowering when added to other schemes. Royal blue, navy, dark red, dark green, and purple all disappear against black when not in large amounts and with thick outlines. Black clashes terribly with navy and especially brown. Black absolutely is not neutral, no matter how much people claim it to be. This black facemask is only better than gray in that it doesn't look black from a distance, your mind just tells you that it's purple like the rest of the helmet.

well thats what makes the world interesting :)

which makes it neutral

all i can do is defend the decision and try to provide some of the thought process for it, even though i wasnt there for any of it i think i have a good understanding for the reason they did it. it dosent have to work with navy blue or any other color, just satin purple. its context and in any context the grey scale from white to black are neutral options. black being the best here for communication and aesthetic reasons. i think it does work and the feel i get from the helmet is that it is a modern representation on an idea from the 1960s. the black mask is a part of that. but i dont expect everyone to agree or like it. nor would the Vikings or Nike. i still think this was the right thing to do. was it the only solution? no there are options, but if i were making the calls, it's what i would have done myself

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

We already have another Purple and Black (and Gold) team - the Ravens. However, I've always thought the Ravens should've been a Purple, Black and SILVER team from the start...

The Chiefs haven't added any black to their uniforms. Don't let the Lions blind you with their stupidity.

And as long as Clark Hunt is running the team, that'll hold true. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

We already have another Purple and Black (and Gold) team - the Ravens. However, I've always thought the Ravens should've been a Purple, Black and SILVER team from the start...

I'm not going to get into a gold/yellow debate right now, but you know damn well that adding black to the Vikings' scheme doesn't give them the same color set as the Ravens. That's like saying the Texans have the same color scheme as the Oilers did.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Even if some of you are right that black isn't a 100% neutral color, it's not not one either. :)

There's black in the logo trim, and the cleats, I think maybe the gloves. There's no gray anywhere, and IMO gray looks too old. White probably looks too old too.

You might prefer a purple facemask to a black one, but let's not talk about it as if going with black on the facemask is on some crazy "where did that come from?!?" plane tantamount to opting for a Seahawk green facemask. Black is already involved, and black is neutral enough in this context.

I'm not going to get into a gold/yellow debate right now, but you know damn well that adding black to the Vikings' scheme doesn't give them the same color set as the Ravens. That's like saying the Texans have the same color scheme as the Oilers did.

Didn't say that.

You should know me better than that.

Even if some of you are right that black isn't a 100% neutral color, it's not not one either. :)

There's black in the logo trim, and the cleats, I think maybe the gloves. There's no gray anywhere, and IMO gray looks too old. White probably looks too old too.

You might prefer a purple facemask to a black one, but let's not talk about it as if going with black on the facemask is on some crazy "where did that come from?!?" plane tantamount to opting for a Seahawk green facemask. Black is already involved, and black is neutral enough in this context.

Most teams use black shoes. As for black being in the logo and on the horns, would that mean the Redskins would be fine to use a brown facemask, the Steelers to use red and the Cardinals to use yellow?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Didn't say that.

You should know me better than that.

Well, you said we already had a black, purple and gold team while addressing the Vikings adding black to purple and gold/yellow. If the Vikings added black to their scheme full-fledged, it still wouldn't be the same colors as the Ravens have, even if both feature a color called gold.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I know that. But with a fairly unique color (in the NFL anyway), having two teams with a SIMILAR, and yet unique color scheme might not be the best idea.

Just as I wouldn't want two Green and Gold teams either.

True enough, however...

ff_1022711_xl.jpg

It's safe to say, black is a BIG part of their overall identity. Not what I want for the vikings.

Well, the Vikings have had black coaches hats for a while already. And it's a shame that they can't make Chiefs gear with the team's actual freaking colors on it, but if the "people only want to wear dark colors" crap messes up fan gear but can stay away from the uniforms, I'd say we can cut our losses.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Most teams use black shoes. As for black being in the logo and on the horns, would that mean the Redskins would be fine to use a brown facemask, the Steelers to use red and the Cardinals to use yellow?

Well, it would be inaccurate to say those colors appear no where else if they did, but no, I don't think that's the same thing.

rhodes-stage-hp-cp.jpg

Ponder_Sleeves_zps968990a2.jpg

On thing I noticed is that there are two types of longer sleeved jerseys. One with the strips at the bottom of the sleeve, like the draft jersey (and the ones for sale) and then there is one like Ponder is wearing where the stripes stay up near the shoulder.

Thoughts, preferences?

I was at the draft party (left before the draft started :) )

Few things. The white/white was definitely introduced as the road. The purple was a road alternate.

PURELY SPECULATIVE: I assume once a year, tops. But the fact they are matte purple I think is means they are much more likely to be worn.

I didn't even notice the facemask was black in the dome lighting. Here are a few pics. Sorry I missed ya, Josh. Left that thing pretty quickly.2e88d050adff11e28b9422000a1fbe38_7.jpg46c46d0aadff11e2bfbf22000a9f1935_7.jpg

11b0ea3eae0011e2bf1822000aaa0492_7.jpg

The 2 on the #52 jersey doesn't have the serifs like the #52 jersey Greenway wore. I wonder which one is correct? Hopefully the jersey on the mannequin is the correct one.

Archived