New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

So you guys count the main pant color as part of the stripe? But not the jersey? If the pants go gold-green-white-green-gold wouldn't the jersey be green-gold-green-white-green-gold-green, making it inconsistent?

Bear with me, I'm new.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does bother me. They got the pants stripe right from 1984-87 and then went back to the wrong ones for some reason after that.

ottis_anderson_1986_12_20.jpg

The helmet stripe should match, too.

Dude, those pants are TERRIBLE. The center yellow stripe makes no sense on a look that is overloaded with yellow, it's not in the classic brashier pattern, and most importantly, it deviates from the classic helmet and the look which the team became famous in. Literally the only thing worse than those pants would have been stripe-less green pants. That is the absolute worst the Packers have ever looked.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't have a problem at all with the Packers' striping. As said, the green jerseys' sleeves match the helmet/pants. It's fine to stop there, as porting the same exact pattern over to the white jersey (with the white center stripe) is getting either two cutesy or too anal. The Florida Gators do it and it looks like crap on their white elements. The ONLY team that has ever made it work was the Houston Oilers. Rather than the Packers sticking with the yellow-green-white-green-yellow pattern, it's perfectly acceptable to do the next best thing and stick with the convention of dark on the outside and light in the center. I don't think eliminating the white stripes improves things.

Another thing, I think people get too caught up in matching sleeve stripes to pants stripes. Sure, it works on the Chiefs (and the aforementioned Oilers), but it's really not necessary. Sleeves traditionally had more area to work with than the pants, so the patterns were more complex. For example, the Bears' white jerseys don't have the same pattern as the white pants, instead throwing white in between the stripes. It might not match those pants, but it keeps with the three stripe idea form the home jersey and can be viewed as a blown-up version of each stripe from the navy jersey (navy-white-orange-white-navy). If a team uses the same striping style on all elements (for example, three stripes), they should be the same, however. It would look wrong if the Chiefs' white jersey had yellow-red-yellow stripes while the pants had the opposite.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It does bother me. They got the pants stripe right from 1984-87 and then went back to the wrong ones for some reason after that.

ottis_anderson_1986_12_20.jpg

The helmet stripe should match, too.

Dude, those pants are TERRIBLE. The center yellow stripe makes no sense on a look that is overloaded with yellow, it's not in the classic brashier pattern, and most importantly, it deviates from the classic helmet and the look which the team became famous in. Literally the only thing worse than those pants would have been stripe-less green pants. That is the absolute worst the Packers have ever looked.

I remember that uniform as being a real nightmare, too. The helmet logo floating in the middle of those huge-ass sleeve stripes? And that ridiculous hip number? When did those seem like good ideas?

I remember that uniform as being a real nightmare, too. The helmet logo floating in the middle of those huge-ass sleeve stripes? And that ridiculous hip number? When did those seem like good ideas?

Forrest Gregg might have been the best player Lombardi ever coached, and he was a respectable coach himself, but he shouldn't have tried to put his stamp on the uniforms.

Even today, I hate the home collar striping, and that's the only "improvement" of his remaining.

Don't think we can blame him for Elbert Watts wearing a dozen sweatbands on one arm, though.

I see the point you guys are making but the purple jersey with the white pants still doesn't really look like it matches to me. The purple on purple does however as they're both mainly purple with a single gold and white stripe on it.

This is what i see as matching

matt_cassel_106880182.jpg

220px-Andrew_Luck_(cropped).jpg

a_moss_il.jpg

Just curious, do the Packers stripes bother you guys? How on the jersey there's a gap between the stripes but on the pants there isn't?

packweb12s-1-web.jpg

No, absolutely not. In both cases the stripe goes gold/green/white/green/gold. They should get rid of the gap on the road jerseys but keep it on the homes.

This would be fine if the green stripes were thicker and the yellow stripes were thinner like Florida does.

Here is a good example of how the horns don't always touch in the back and how they avoid some of the openings on the helmet. Overall, its nearly impossible to have the horn shape miss every vent for every type of helmet available.

temprookmini3-003050513--nfl_mezz_1280_1024_zpse704ae54.jpg

Hope none of y'all bought a Kluwe jersey.

Oh, yeah... we all ran right out and bought a punter's jersey.

Didnt think my comment needed sarcasm font, but I guess it's hard to decifer through the internet.

Hey... how did this Viking thread suddenly get clogged up with Packer stuff?

Pack Jacked.

Anyway, here's an example of the invisible stripe being on the jersey rather than the pants like in the previous example. I'd say that this is also perfectly consistent.

3498_kansas_city_chiefs-road-2012.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here is a good example of how the horns don't always touch in the back and how they avoid some of the openings on the helmet. Overall, its nearly impossible to have the horn shape miss every vent for every type of helmet available.

temprookmini3-003050513--nfl_mezz_1280_1024_zpse704ae54.jpg

The horns don't touch on the back on any of the helmets. It was just on the initial photoshopped promo photo, thankfully.

And I agree, the helmets are gorgeous. Oh, and I might be the only person who doesn't mind the holes breaking up the horn. I mean. yeah it would look better with out, but if you had to completely alter the horn or have no horn to avoid that then no way, broken horn it is.

Archived