New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

I know we have had this discussion before, ya know, whether or not it is necessary to put something in the collar. It's for the players and team after all.

Oh, I am far from sure that is the case. I'd tend to think just the opposite.

I should say, the inspirational quotes such as the Panthers, "Keep Pounding" which was the saying Sam Mills, who was a player and coach for Carolina and later Died of cancer. Mills told the team to "Keep Pounding" in an emotional speech before the Panthers' victory over the Cowboys. So yeah, that's for the players and organization. Nothing wrong with a nice detail that relates to the team.

Question - is "Keep Pounding" on the jerseys that are available for fans to purchase?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we have had this discussion before, ya know, whether or not it is necessary to put something in the collar. It's for the players and team after all.

Oh, I am far from sure that is the case. I'd tend to think just the opposite.

I should say, the inspirational quotes such as the Panthers, "Keep Pounding" which was the saying Sam Mills, who was a player and coach for Carolina and later Died of cancer. Mills told the team to "Keep Pounding" in an emotional speech before the Panthers' victory over the Cowboys. So yeah, that's for the players and organization. Nothing wrong with a nice detail that relates to the team.

Question - is "Keep Pounding" on the jerseys that are available for fans to purchase?

Yes.

EDIT: I did these before seeing what the seven serif looks like. I'll fix it (eventually)

Didn't see anyone post up a number set for the Vikings yet. Probably because no one wanted to strain their eyeballs bad enough.

This is what I've worked out. It's not perfect but until perfect shows up it should do.

qmP1bmC.jpg

I went over it and did a second version - this one removes serif collisions.

6yncZ56.jpg

Am I the only one who likes the "interlocking" effect of the numbers?

You're the only one who likes a lot of stuff. The numbers look like they're trying too hard, imo

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I like it a lot on certain numbers, certain others it's ok, and others yet I don't like at all.

That's where I am, too. Most numbers in the 80's look particularly awkward (because the serif 8 is such a strange looking digit), but 84 is biggest mess. Might be the worst number in the whole set.

Maybe the best looking number in the set is 10, but unless Fran unretires, no one will ever see it.

For all the debating about who the in-collar designs are for, I think the answer is pretty clear. It's for Nike, they're showing off what they're capable of in uniform design and doing something nobody else does (I don't think). It's a low-risk design feature because it has no outward appearance.

Nobody else does it because there's no need to do it (of course there's no need to do a lot of the things that manufacturers do.)

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's just so they can have it in the brochures and marketing things so that it looks like they're on the cutting edge.

The skeptic in me says that's not the case though, and they are there so that they give fans a reason to buy jerseys year after year even if the design itself hasn't changed a bit.

If these slogans are the same every year, then that would be a start at proving me wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Again, that argument is stupid until one of the collar designs changes. And then it's still stupid. What's wrong with a nice little extra detail? With a huge percentage of Vikes fans being of Norwiegan heritage (myself included), I love it. Panthers "Keep Pounding" is meaningful and Seattle's "12" is awesome.

Nobody else does it because there's no need to do it (of course there's no need to do a lot of the things that manufacturers do.)

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's just so they can have it in the brochures and marketing things so that it looks like they're on the cutting edge.

The skeptic in me says that's not the case though, and they are there so that they give fans a reason to buy jerseys year after year even if the design itself hasn't changed a bit.

If these slogans are the same every year, then that would be a start at proving me wrong.

But I guarantee your average fan knows nothing about these collar designs and only finds out about them when they buy the jersey and say "hey, look at that" and then never think about it again...ever. They don't care about design the way anyone who frequents these boards does.

I'd challenge that guarantee. I have a pal in Seattle who's not terribly interested in design but bought the Nike jersey and was very taken with the "12" tribute in the collar. He saw it as a sign that Nike really appreciated the special relationship Seahawk fans have with their team.

Archived