New WNBA Brand Identity

Conrad.

The Icon and new colour choices are nice. Hate the type treatment. Is it the WnBa? Why mix cases on an acronym?

Yes. Never understood on it here either:

856eohuzlq2cguwltk80e2yx3.gifWhy not just use a capital N?

Lower case N's often look better than capital N's. The Suns also use a lower case n in their new midcourt wordmark because it is just a flipped U. The diaginal part of capital N's can look out of place in some fonts. I think the lower case letters here are a good choice and match the curviness that the W and B have.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another version, from WNBA.com:

130328-new-logo-TS-670.jpg

I actually like the new identity and the fact that they decided to utilize a completely different color from all of the other leagues. While it does exude a little bit of that 'Home Depot Vibe' I can live with it. Anyone else wish that the white lines in the word mark went all the way to the edges of each letter? I kind of wished that it was more like the Blue Jays' font.

The new logo is doing layups. How appropriate.

<_<

This is the problem. Men make fun of the WNBA for the lack of dunking, but then question and mock Brittney Griner's gender based on the fact that she can and does dunk. This is the unfortunate paradoxical stereotype female athletes have. If they are too athletic they must be a man, if they are not athletic enough its boring, and if they are not sexy its not worth watching. Its a shame.

Not true for all men. I actually question Brittney Griner's gender because she (he) is rather mannish. And I don't watch WNBA games not because I find the players to be too athletic or not athletic enough and not because the players are not sexy enough. I choose not to watch because the play is too sloppy to keep me interested. It's on the same level as boys high school basketball (which I also don't watch) in terms of sloppy play. But I do get what you're saying. Women's professional sports is usually a Catch 22 for men.

As for the logo itself, I like it because it is not red/white/blue just to look "American".

(btw, Knoxville? same here - I guess I'm spoiled with the Lady Vols)

I'm a proud alum myself. GBO! But, yes, we're exposed to women's bball much more than other markets here in Knoxville. I guess that's why we have the Women's BBall Hall of Fame here.

I actually didn't attend UT, but I've lived here my whole life. Suppose I probably should be more of a fan of the school besides the LVs...

I never understood why the WNBA never tried to expand into Tennessee... if not in Knoxville itself, then certainly Nashville. Just load the roster up with UT and Vandy (if in Nashville) alums.

No team there is two-fold. First, local investors know it will be hard to be profitbale. Second, fans like Lady Vols or Vandy hoops and may not want to spend cash on anything else. Somewhat like you may enjoying watching your kid play and financially support youth soccer, but are not too keen going to see the MLS or NASL.

I think it'd be naive to think a hypothetical Tennessee WNBA franchise would be as popular as the Lady Vols right out the gate, but if they can consistently draw 7,000 fans to see women's pro ball in middle-of-nowhere Connecticut (another place that only has a team because of the success of a local women's college team), a team in Knoxville/Nashville is probably worth a shot. I seriously doubt they'd do any worse there than they're doing in NY, Chicago and Atlanta.

It looks like a 70s logo, but I like what they did.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

The logo's nice.

I have no comment on the league, as it doesn't merit discussion.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think the w, n, and a are all lowercase. the B is capital and I don't mind that as you can make it stand for "Basketball" being first and foremost. And aethetically speaking sometimes lower case simply fills the given space better than capital. Idk if thats the case with the Raptors though but in this case a lower case b has a lot of negative space in it, and an upper case A can sometimes look off. I think it works

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived