MLB Uniform Concepts

rroy0824

Brewers: I could tolerate the current scripts if you just lost the superfluous dropshadows. The font also needs a change... no team should be using a stock MS Word font. But I do agree, the athletic gold makes what they have now a lot more tolerable.

Cardinals: Lose the red alt... it dilutes what is otherwise a gorgeous set.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Diego Padres

Next up is the Padres. I decided to go back to brown and gold. It may be the easy thing to do, but I think it's what they need. I don't think the current set is as bad as most people say, but when you've worn things like this and this, you can afford to be different then everyone else. I realize it is not the 70's anymore and things like that would not work today. I found my inspiration for this concept in what they wore in 1974. It is traditional enough, while still being able to work today. The stripes on the sleeves are a bit thinker to mimic the originals. A gold bill hat for home games and an all brown replaces the "Taco Bell" hat. I felt that it made the set fit more in today's game. Friar now on all uniforms.

Padres1_zps6d4c8004.jpg

Padres2_zps5feb7666.jpg

Padres3_zpsd8dec4fd.jpg

Boy do you do some good work! I love it. Only thing is, I'm not too keen on the current Padres script. I'd love to see this script colorized to match your uniform set:

83q63w76qodl95th5tq1soseo.gif

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I think the ARI home primary jersey is missing piping down the center. Consider the Reds' home jerseys, for example -- they use a piping to fill out the otherwise white space that would make things look a tad too empty. Otherwise, the home jersey is a drastic improvement which I really enjoy. For the piping pattern, mimic the piping currently featured on your sleeves. (Same goes for the brick home alternate.)

It's funny you say that because about a half hour before I posted that concept I had this ready to go.

xKSpClm.jpg

Originally I had that piping on all of the jerseys. I really didn't like it on the road uniforms because I think it cluttered it up too much and that may have influenced me to take it off the home. I am curious to know if people like it on the home uniform because it is something I thought about. I'm glad that people like the basic idea of it though.

One suggestion: Did you consider a red hat with a black bill for the primary road set? I think that set could use some more black, unless you don't want more than two hats per team. Overall, nice job.

Yep, I set a rule that teams have to and can only have two hat each. It was done to limit the amount of hats some teams have and to make me think outside the box for some of the more classic teams.

Thanks guys. Depending on how the rest of the day is, I may have the Dodgers up tonight.

I prefer the piping, and one thing that I noticed...having the A in red on a red jersey looks a little off. What if the A was "sand" colored on the red alt?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Cubs: I really like the changes to the road and the new road alt. Three complaints though. First, I'm not a fan of the reversed front numbers on the road unis. I would have them match the back ones. Two, I would add the sleeve piping to the home alt. I really like how it looks, and the 80s alts had it, so there's precedence. Three, please get rid of the absurd NL patches. I think these last Cubs blues are the only uniforms ever to have a league patch, and I personally don't think that's a good thing. Add the walking cub to the road alt, and I think it would be fine to not have a sleeve patch on the home alt.

Pirates: No complaints, that's a great looking set. I love the return of the vests and yellow hats.

Brewers: Very bold. I think I'd have to see it in action to decide if that yellow is too bright. I do agree that their current logo set is fitting for the brewery theme.

Cardinals: Hate the team, love the concept. Only suggestions would be blue belts on the alts (this may have been mentioned earlier) and to make the script on the road alt white.

I'll posted updates once I finish the division. As a note, the hats are interchangeable. I just pair them with what I feel they would mostly go with.

Los Angeles Dodgers

Next up is the Dodgers. I think the home and road uniforms are perfect. So perfect that I didn't change a thing with them. The alternates were where I let myself have some fun with a traditional team. The home alternate is based on the Brooklyn throwbacks they wore a few years ago. In basically an update of that, I changed the wordmark to the Dodgers logo instead of the Brooklyn one, updated the font, added a NOB, and made the pants white. I feel it is a modern twist on a throwback. The road alternate is pretty self-explanatory. The gray bill hat is an update of a hat that I felt could worked for the team if the logo was white and the hat wasn't paired with that uniform.

Dodgers1_zps74ee2bce.jpg

Dodgers2_zpsdda8dc71.jpg

Dodgers3_zps95aac8dd.jpg

I like it because not much was drastically changed. I do think the road uniform should have white behind the Los Angeles script though. I always thought it looked boring without it. Also, the Dodgers are one of those teams that never needed a sleeve patch. It's the same as the cap logo anyway.

spacer.png

San Francisco Giants

Well I'm back with the Giants. Basically, the gold drop shadow was dropped from the home and road wordmarks and the sleeve patch on the home was changed to the circle logo because I felt the other one was kind of bulky. New orange jersey uses cream more to give it some more color. A new black jersey is added with an orange wordmark, instead of the black one with an orange outline. Stripes on socks are also now mandatory. Orange billed hat to be worn with alternates or Sundays or whatever.

Giants1_zpscd34e9d1.jpg

Giants2_zps0c77ae45.jpg

Giants3_zps4f333d02.jpg

This looks much better without the drop shadow. What about changing the road script to having the same font as the home?

spacer.png

Okay, well next up

Chicago Cubs

The home jersey is one of the best in baseball. That and the home alternate went untouched. With the road and road alternate, I incorporated red and added some piping. No real reason behind it, I just like the way it looks. I thought about useing navy blue for the road alternate, but it just didn't look like the Cubs. Red billed hat, which was great, returns for the road jerseys.

Cubs1_zps0af503e0.jpg

Cubs2_zps98ccbe02.jpg

Cubs3_zps57a24a68.jpg

So here's one where I have a few more tweaks than normal. On the home, why not bring back the solid blue cuffs and the baby bear head?

jgcecy2vwgb6kkl0spnrkimhv.gifmlb_g_dawson_576.jpg

Leave the blue cuffs on the road jersey instead of red/blue, and just use the home alt as the road alt as well.

spacer.png

Okay, well I should be posting on a more regular baisis now, so hopefully that leads to more responses.

Pittsburgh Pirates

I've always thought that the Pirates are one of those teams that should be wearing vest. They have a history of it and it is just a good look for the team. Basically, it's a return to what they were wearing before the latest update and with no pinstripe uniform. The alternates are a button down version of their new alternate, with more of a gold than mustered and a black version as a road alternate. Logo changed to eliminate red. I know its been done before but it still looks better than what they have.

Pirates1_zps3b095ed5.jpg

Pirates2_zps91df2a6d.jpg

Pirates3_zpsdea85780.jpg

Home/Road/Home Alt....awesome. Road alt...I say just keep the P logo one they have now. What really needs to change is the primary logo. The Pirate head they have now has always looked goofy. I don't know if you are able to create a new Pirates primary from scratch, but that's what this needs.

spacer.png

Milwaukee Brewers

The easy thing to do here would have been to replace the logo with the ball in glove and call it a day. I wanted to do that because its one of my favorite logos, but I think that their current logos are actually pretty perfect for a team named the Brewers. They just give off that beer and brewery feel. I just think that the gold they use now makes the uniform a little dull. I changed it to more of the gold they use to use to brighten it up a bit, while still keeping the navy. Everything else stays the same and a new hat is added that is based on this one.

Brewers1_zps50e90b46.jpg

Brewers2_zps7b12e103.jpg

Brewers3_zps3cbabd87.jpg

Only thing missing is their Throwback Friday ball in glove alternate. What if there was the TBF alternate, but it used today's script?

spacer.png

One last thought....if you redo the Marlins...bring back TEAL!!!!

spacer.png

Boy do you do some good work! I love it. Only thing is, I'm not too keen on the current Padres script. I'd love to see this script colorized to match your uniform set:

(Image Removed)

This looks much better without the drop shadow. What about changing the road script to having the same font as the home?

Home/Road/Home Alt....awesome. Road alt...I say just keep the P logo one they have now. What really needs to change is the primary logo. The Pirate head they have now has always looked goofy. I don't know if you are able to create a new Pirates primary from scratch, but that's what this needs.

First off, thanks for your comments. There are some good ideas in there. As I said on the first post, my goal with this series was to use the current logos that teams have and use them in a way that looks good. I did allow myself to recolor though.

Cubs: I really like the changes to the road and the new road alt. Three complaints though. First, I'm not a fan of the reversed front numbers on the road unis. I would have them match the back ones. Two, I would add the sleeve piping to the home alt. I really like how it looks, and the 80s alts had it, so there's precedence. Three, please get rid of the absurd NL patches. I think these last Cubs blues are the only uniforms ever to have a league patch, and I personally don't think that's a good thing. Add the walking cub to the road alt, and I think it would be fine to not have a sleeve patch on the home alt.

The reversed numbers were going off of what the Cubs do now, but you're not the first to say that so I'll probably fix it. Piping on the home alt sounds like a good idea. It would make it less plain. I always thought the league patch was kind of unique and that why I left it. I wasn't sure how others felt about it.

Okay, well I should be posting on a more regular baisis now, so hopefully that leads to more responses.

Pittsburgh Pirates

I've always thought that the Pirates are one of those teams that should be wearing vest. They have a history of it and it is just a good look for the team. Basically, it's a return to what they were wearing before the latest update and with no pinstripe uniform. The alternates are a button down version of their new alternate, with more of a gold than mustered and a black version as a road alternate. Logo changed to eliminate red. I know its been done before but it still looks better than what they have.

Pirates1_zps3b095ed5.jpg

Pirates2_zps91df2a6d.jpg

Pirates3_zpsdea85780.jpg

Nice job on those Pirate concepts! It will be interesting to see if any changes to their existing set will happen next year with the new Pirate logo. I would like to suggest black pants with the black top, that look seems to fit the club nickname. Another idea I have is to bring back the gold pinstripes, this time with a black "P" on the chest. The jersey number would also be on the front, the gold pins may not be popular, but I liked them anyway.

Last one before I start posting some updates

Cincinnati Reds

I think some may not like this, but I took a chance. The insperation behind this one was from this picture. I think the C is strong enough to be on its own and give it a classic clean feel. Basically, I swapped out the primary with the plain wishbone C...and I kept black. I know people hate it, but I think black can be used with the Reds as long as it's only an accent color. Instead of being Red-Black-White, I think it works as Red-White-Black. I think the number font goes with the logos, so I kept it. The Reds have a history of a white hat (I know it had pinstripes) and If any team was going to have white hats, I think it would be the Reds.

Reds1_zps9afc3b78.jpg

Reds2_zps0170e3d3.jpg

Reds3_zps66d4e7d3.jpg

Here's my suggestions for the Cubs:

Home: Leave it as is

Home Alt: Bring back the "Cuba" script (1994-96) in red w/ white trim, with the numbers also in red w/ white trim. The piping should be red and white. The walking cub logo on the left sleeve.

Road: Add blue and red piping, and bring back the red billed caps.

Road Alt: "CHICAGO" script in red w/ white trim. The numbers also in red w/ white trim. Red and white piping with the walking cub logo on the left sleeve.

Cubs: Stellar.

Reds: I would like to see one uniform with the word "Reds" on one of their jerseys. I also think that you could replace one of the red alts with either a red pinstripe jersey, or a vest jersey, since both of those looks are a part of Reds culture.

Also, I second the idea of "re-tealing" the Marlins. I would caution against the over-use of black. Also, here's a shameless plug for my Marlins redesigns

The black doesn't look good. Remove that and this is a good look.

I really thought I would get rid of the black when started this. I personally really liked the Ken Griffey era vest with the black sleeves, but I knew that if I added more black, most people would probably hate it. When I decided to go with the wishbone C I noticed that it just looked too plain without an outline. That is really why I kept it.

Home Alt: Bring back the "Cuba" script (1994-96) in red w/ white trim, with the numbers also in red w/ white trim. The piping should be red and white. The walking cub logo on the left sleeve.

Besides it not being a current logo, the fact that it is called the "Cuba" script kind of shows that it's not a great logo. Plus, I just don't really like it on the Cubs.

Reds: I would like to see one uniform with the word "Reds" on one of their jerseys. I also think that you could replace one of the red alts with either a red pinstripe jersey, or a vest jersey, since both of those looks are a part of Reds culture.

Also, I second the idea of "re-tealing" the Marlins. I would caution against the over-use of black. Also, here's a shameless plug for my Marlins redesigns

The vests are something I thought about. Like I said, I used to like the Ken Griffey era vest for whatever reason. They always could be added in an update. I always thought the general opinion on that Reds script was that people didn't like it. I don't really mind it on the BP personally.

And since you are the second person to ask and Miami is coming up quick, teal is one of their colors.

Besides it not being a current logo, the fact that it is called the "Cuba" script kind of shows that it's not a great logo. Plus, I just don't really like it on the Cubs.

While the "Cuba" script isn't the greatest of Cubs logos it's certainly better than sticking the walking cub logo on the front of the alternate jerseys. To tell you the truth, when the Cubs first switched to the current set in 1997, they replaced a perfectly functional alternate jersey with a half baked one. What I proposed in my last post is a sensible compromise in which the home jersey is left untouched, the mistakes concerning the alternates are rectified, and the road jersey is given a minor update.

If you're gonna use black with the Reds be consistent. I don't mind it, but I'd like to see black outlines on the road jersey, and maybe thin black outlines on all piping as well. (Or just do what everyone else is gonna suggest and drop the black)

Great job on all of these. Mets next?

Archived