Long Live ASAP: Colorado Rockies

Discrim

A while back, I'd posted a few Rockies alts & one-offs, one of which was a purple-heavy white alt. Decided to revisit it, as a full set this time, and as Buc had put it in that past thread, the Rockies should own purple. Not kinda wear it, like they do now, but OWN it. To that end...here goes.

home/away

colrockiesmain.png

The scripts are based on what the Denver Bears wore in the 50s, with a rather distinct underscore. Though I don't really feel one way or the other towards the CR, I know most here aren't exactly fans of it. Thus, the C from the road script becomes the cap logo. And before I forget, far as colors, I dropped black and silver, replacing the latter with lavender.

alts

colrockiesalt.png

On your lefthand side is an 80s Nuggets tribute...complete with purple rainbow and Nuggets-style script. The other alt is a lavender vest.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Woulda preferred a comment on the concept, but oh well, a comment's a comment. Except when it's spam. Anyways...there exist the Colorado Rockies. There also exists A$AP Rocky, noted for his singles "Goldie" and ":censored:in Problems." The two seemed to go hand in hand for a thread title.

2016cubscreamsig.png

I like that you kept the purple mountains logo and that Nuggets tribute is beautiful as a pullover. I like how you used a light purple to complement the darker purple, rather than using straight up black. The zig zag mountain-like pattern on the sleeves are a nice touch, but I feel like it's a bit too thick and needs to be on the ends of the sleeves more. Sort of what the Diamondbacks used to have before on their black alts.

I think that the script text would indeed help freshen up the Rockies' identity a bit, but your script font is a bit too curvy and bold. The "o" in the script look like "e" from far away. The "swoosh" under the script feels tacked on especially on the "Colorado" script.

All and all, its better than what the Rockies are currently wearing

I see exactly what you're doing with those scripts, Discrim and I love them.

Denver_Bears_Baseball_Mel_Nelson_1966-300x364.jpg

I like your attention to detail not only in the tails but also in other aspects like how the R in Rockies favors the B in the original Bears script.

As usual, an excellent thought process went in to these designs. Nice work.

Coyote-thank you...the zigzags, I'd had the pre-edge Avalanche, as well as Denver's flag, in mind, and if not for the fact I was only using purple and lavender, I'd thought about coloring the sleeve ends before deciding it'd be too much. Granted, the D-backs aren't using the zigzag cuffs on any of their currents, but the Avs-style zigzag is a local influence, something one wouldn't be able to say about what would be thought of as an early 2000s D-backs ripoff. Far as the script, a lot of lowecase o's look somewhat like e's in scripts, which is nothing really new, and for why the tail looks like it does, see the pic Ted Cunningham posted, though I'd thought about retouching the scripts a bit...nothing major, I simply wanna get as close to the 50s Bears script here as I can (while being Rockies scripts, obviously.

kevinmets-The main reason I'd picked lavender to complement the purple was because I'd seen Kansas State basketball wear it rather well IMO. But you know...considering the only purple/light blue team I can think of immediately is the late 90s Jazz (and technically the current Hornets, though their blue is still tealish enough that everybody still calls it teal)...I think I'll try that.

Ted Cunningham-Thanks...oddly enough, I'd first been inspired to create a Bears-style Rockies script after I first saw a picture of these infamous babies...

75169a_lg.jpeg

Thankfully for most involved, there won't be any strike zone remakes in this set...I'd included one in my earlier Rockies alts set, and it was about as well received as the real things were.

2016cubscreamsig.png

This...is...the remake

colrockiesmain2.png

colrockiesalt2.png

=Change Log=

• Light blue, specifically the Nuggets' shade, replaces lavender
  • Wound up changing the C
  • Both scripts were...tweaked from scratch, kind of. In any event, I feel I better accomplished my goal of resembing the Denver Bears script this time out.
  • Alt jersey changes from lavender vest to sleeved purple jersey with light blue lettering; also added alt cap with powder blue bill
  • Avs-inspired piping is closer to the cuffs and less pronounced
  • Nuggets tribute's rainbow striping recolored a bit, now lavender-blue-purple; front lettering changes to blue with purple trim; cap changes as well, blue C with lavender/purple stripe.

2016cubscreamsig.png

This...is...the remake

colrockiesmain2.png

colrockiesalt2.png

=Change Log=

• Both scripts were...tweaked from scratch, kind of. In any event, I feel I better accomplished my goal of resembing the Denver Bears script this time out.
  • Alt jersey changes from lavender vest to sleeved purple jersey with light blue lettering; also added alt cap with powder blue bill
  • Nuggets tribute's rainbow striping recolored a bit, now lavender-blue-purple; front lettering changes to blue with purple trim; cap changes as well, blue C with lavender/purple stripe.

I can get behind that! Damn those would be some good looking uniforms on the field!

With your permission, can I show these designs to the Monforts? I'm good friends with one of their sons.

Please let him discrim, I can't die in peace until the Rockies wear a pull over nuggets rainbow inspired jersey!

Pennies this idea NEEDS to be heard by the monforts, make sure you mention the spike in nuggets jersey sales with there yellow Alt.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

With the caveat that I won't expect much to come out of this...knock yourself out. You have my permission.

2016cubscreamsig.png

You're talking about the first set, right? Hate to disappoint you, but the roads in set 1 are still plain ol' gray. There are some things even I won't do. I'd simply chosen to use lavender instead of silver in the logos, scripts and such. Wouldn't have made a lavender vest, really, had the roads been all lavender.

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 3 weeks later...

Long overdue updates..the purple/blue first, basically the same, except for a tweak in the home script (in between the e and s in Rockies...that, and streamlined outlines on the home and away)

colrockiesmain3.png

colrockiesalt3.png

Back by popular demand...Lavender...with a lavender road uni this time out too

colrockiesmain4.png

colrockiesalt4.png

Sorry for the long wait, I'm a bit weird like that.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Lavender is definitely better than light blue, which is way overused these days. The lavender just works how you're using it, out of the box whilst still looking traditional--very hard to pull off. Kudos.

rATMcmK.png

This...is...the remake

colrockiesmain2.png

colrockiesalt2.png

=Change Log=

I can get behind that! Damn those would be some good looking uniforms on the field!

With your permission, can I show these designs to the Monforts? I'm good friends with one of their sons.

Come on, man -- if you're going to do rainbow jerseys, then you are short numerous potential colors;

denver-nuggets-uniform.jpg

Packers-2.png

Archived