2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs and Final logo

dbadefense1990

So the 1st wave of NHL Playoff commercials came out on TV this last weekend, and I noticed that the logos are kinda like the ones from the last couple of years, except the Cup design itself has been polished to look more realistic, especially at the top cup rim and at the bottom base. After some investigating, I've come up with these logos:

Stanley%20Cup%20Playoffs-year-2012-2013%20Season.jpg

zz_2013_stanley-cup-playoffs-finals_basic900x900.jpg

stanley-cup-2013.jpg

For comparison, here's last year's Cup Final logo:

250px-Stanley-cup-finals-2012-logo.gif

I want to know if the 2013 logos are the official ones or are they fake.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would the 2013 marks be fake? :lol:

Looking forward to the official versions. Always been intrigued on various ways that trophies are displayed in illustrated form.

I will add, however, that until now I never realized how out of place the treatment on "FINAL" is when taking a closer look at the marks. The cup, ribbons, etc have a more illustrated feel, while "FINAL" has a more realistic gradient. Now I can't unsee it.

There's something really juvenile and cartoonish about the NHL's leaguewide logos like the playoffs and the conferences since 2005. They remind me of comic books or something. They're all terrible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's something really juvenile and cartoonish about the NHL's leaguewide logos like the playoffs and the conferences since 2005. They remind me of comic books or something. They're all terrible.

I'd agree with you on the ones immediately after the lockout, with the red/blue shield thing. But I've liked these silver/black ones. They've grown on me.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's the same typeface, though. Too "edgy," too something. It doesn't match the Stanley Cup's branding of tradition and the oldest trophy in North American sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's the same typeface, though. Too "edgy," too something. It doesn't match the Stanley Cup's branding of tradition and the oldest trophy in North American sports.

I mean it's not exactly the same. (On closer expection, it looks like you're right. They just italicized it all and switched the sizes on "Stanley Cup" and "Final".) I think they're trending in a better direction though. The initial post lockout ones were bad. (And I'll agree wholeheartedly that 1) it needs more and 2) the old logos were better)

6862.gifa1sz8j0jjfle5e04zlpiheltj.gif

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I like the silver and black logos they use now, but I wish they went with something that felt a little bit more classic and old-timey to show the history of the Stanley Cup. Instead they have this sharp edged, futuristic, "edgy" (as someone else said) font that has also never sat quite right with me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The problem with the current mark is that the font is italicized. It throws off the symmetry of the logo. The good thing about the pre-04/05 lockout logos is that the Cup is clearly the main focus. The script is basic, small, and doesn't draw much of your attention. The newest logos seem like the script and the Cup are competing for you're eyes.

Come to think of it, it's funny to see how much "bashing" is done to the Super Bowl logo system standardization, when the NHL has practically done the same thing. Though it can be argued that the SCF logo is different in it's held in the respective team's locations.

Just funny that i've never seen anyone bring up the "standardization" from year to year of the logos.

NHL_2013_StanleyCupPlayoffs_English_Primary.jpg

Yes. These are the changes I was referring to. Compared to the cup design in the recent past (2006-2012), the top of this cup design and its shadow effect have changed (looks like this design sees the trophy straight, with the past design having a slight below-the-center point of view) and the bottom base now has horizontal rings matching those of the real cup. I can't wait to see a full version of this year's Cup Final logo to solidify my findings.

The newest version is the nicest I've seen. I still would like to see them go even more regal and classic and use a very old timey, modern classic font for the text though.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

6862.gif

I'm not really sure what you're complaining about. This was a perfectly befitting logo for a year when all the best teams in the league were knocked out of the playoffs before the calendar even flipped to May.

I liked this logo. Was perfect for that final since the Oilers representing the West dressed in Blue while the Hurricanes from the East dressed in Red. Didn't fare as well in 07 though...

6862.gif

I'm not really sure what you're complaining about. This was a perfectly befitting logo for a year when all the best teams in the league were knocked out of the playoffs before the calendar even flipped to May.

I've always hated that notion that "the best team didn't win". If they were so damn good they wouldn't have been eliminated, they had 7 games to prove they were the better team.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived