Houston Texans Secondary Logo

shaydre1019

So i've had this idea in my head for a while. Basically the H and the T from the wordmark, combined for what i think is a strong secondary logo, something which the Texans currently lack.

Here are four variations, I'm not sure which one works best.

Texanssecondary.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

I first saw these as slightly resembling a bull, then I wasn't so sure after looking at. If it is, it's pretty clever.

I think you should go with one of the variations with the star. I like how where the star is reminds me of the lone star flag on top of a map of Texas, without it it looks really plain.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Really good! I agree with TorinK29. The star variation is a good look for Houston. I have to say go for the blue one. Maybe try making one of the letters red and the other one blue. Other than that, it looks really good.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

I like it. I really like it. But my only "problem" would be that it looks kind of like a spaceship from a retro videogame. (Although given Houston's history with NASA and outer space, that seems very appropriate).

My only suggestion would be to have the H and T in separate colours.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Haha well here's the thing, I've had this idea, and versions of it in my head and in my school notes for years. Because of the shape I've tried to alter it to make it look more like a bull, and also tried to make it look more like Texas. But ultimately I just decided that the shape kinda does a little bit of both on its own and that it's best to keep it simple and not force anything.

The space video game thing though, I never thought of it like that and I guess it works out as well!

So I've thought about maybe coloring it the exact same way as the logo, maybe gonna see how that looks today but I've done all this on Sumo paint, which isn't the best to work with so well see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: people from Houston also tend to throw up the H with their hand which it also coincidentally also resembles lol.

the star isnt necessary, it actually just looks odd. you know they use it as the eye in the primary but what's it doing here? is it the eye in this abstract bull? is it the location in the abstract state shape (west texas dosnt work for this). it's best left out because theres no clear purpose for it. i like the bottom left best. it might work well if you made one of the letters red too.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

the star isnt necessary, it actually just looks odd. you know they use it as the eye in the primary but what's it doing here? is it the eye in this abstract bull? is it the location in the abstract state shape (west texas dosnt work for this). it's best left out because theres no clear purpose for it. i like the bottom left best. it might work well if you made one of the letters red too.

Okay, see the bottom left was my original one, but i thought i'd add the star to see how it looked, and then the starless one looked bland.

I thought about putting it on the right side to represent Houston, but I'm not sure yet.

I also tried doing like a BLUE/WHITE/RED 3d drop shadow? but it crashed.

////////////////////

This is kinda what i meant, just to give you an idea.

the star could make more sense on the right side as a representation of Houston, but then you see it on the primary first and here it would be on the wrong side. that would just be too odd for me. just the skew of the star itself dosent seem to fit with the angles of the HT. a red drop shadow could work too. or think of the numbers on the jersey, maybe it's just a red outline?

heres a quick mock of a red drop shadow, i think it works OK

screenshot20130411at637.png

or if a star gets worked in there i think you can do it best with a regular star shape. that way it dosent read as the primary logo's shape and look out of place. the angles and everything work a bit better.

screenshot20130411at645.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Love the shadow drop!

I disagree with you about the star though. It does make sense that Houston is in the east = Star on the right, but it looked really good on the left because it looked like it was "in" texas.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

the star could make more sense on the right side as a representation of Houston, but then you see it on the primary first and here it would be on the wrong side. that would just be too odd for me. just the skew of the star itself dosent seem to fit with the angles of the HT. a red drop shadow could work too. or think of the numbers on the jersey, maybe it's just a red outline?

heres a quick mock of a red drop shadow, i think it works OK

screenshot20130411at637.png

or if a star gets worked in there i think you can do it best with a regular star shape. that way it dosent read as the primary logo's shape and look out of place. the angles and everything work a bit better.

screenshot20130411at645.png

Wow dude yeah, that's what I was trying to do.

The star I think looks like its crammed in there and also I didn't wanna use a regular star because I didn't wanna look anything like Dallas.

But yeah I'm gonna try maybe a version with a red H in the back, to compare because I still am not completely sure which direction would work best. But thank you. This is the second concept where you've seemingly gone out of your way to better my designs, so I really appreciate that sir.

So I tried the red H with the blue T in front and it and it just doesn't work for me. Looks more like a Tommy Hilfiger logo.

Brandon do you think it would work with a thinner white like and a thicker red?? I feel like the middle looks just kinda out of place or it's lacking something. Not sure.

yea it could. i did the white/negative part that size so the red would go in between the letters. its just enough to push the color outside of everything. a thicker red stroke could work but doing it like i did you might get an odd 3D effect. if you made it go all the way around as a key stroke it could look cool. Zilligen likes to do those thick key strokes and they always work for him

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived