Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

Several elements of the uniforms are inspired from, and pay homage to, the original uniforms according to the team website..

The side stripes & use of light blue, teal alternate with Charlotte wordmark, logo on the shorts waistband, & overlapping collar.

Also explained why they went with purple road & teal alternate, the opposite of the original team....

They know how much people love the teal Charlotte throwback uniforms, so they did it this way so they can wear the teal at home.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And also, they shoulda gotten creative with the alt uni and not just recolored the template from the home and away. Use that 3D honeycomb pattern from the court or somethin...

Exactly. Kinda disappointed. Love the side pinstripes. Unique. But No outline color on the HUGE numbers. No teal SLEEVED alt jersey but its nothing special?!

simpsons-frogurt_480x360.jpg

This is how it makes me feel! Like im buying frogurt.

shado_logo.gif

I bet that Adidas can't or didn't want to do sublimated stripes on their new fabric. Since the holes in the fabric are an irregular pattern and the size of the holes vary throughout the jersey, pinstripes might not have looked good anyway.

Several elements of the uniforms are inspired from, and pay homage to, the original uniforms according to the team website..

The side stripes & use of light blue, teal alternate with Charlotte wordmark, logo on the shorts waistband, & overlapping collar.

Also explained why they went with purple road & teal alternate, the opposite of the original team....

They know how much people love the teal Charlotte throwback uniforms, so they did it this way so they can wear the teal at home.

Teams can wear road uniforms at home. The Heat have worn the regular black jerseys at home numerous times over the last few years.

The uniforms aren't great. The purple would look better with "Charlotte". The number font kinda sucks, and it needs an outline. The logo on the back is stupid (and the weird thing is, fashion Swingman jerseys have the NBA logo on the back neck, so these Hornets jerseys look like cheap fashion jerseys). The same-color wordmark on the shorts is dumb (that's what cheap Walmart gym shorts have).

Completely underwhelmed. They look cheap...almost as bad as the Sixers.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Teams can wear road uniforms at home. The Heat have worn the regular black jerseys at home numerous times over the last few years.

The uniforms aren't great. The purple would look better with "Charlotte". The number font kinda sucks, and it needs an outline. The logo on the back is stupid (and the weird thing is, fashion Swingman jerseys have the NBA logo on the back neck, so these Hornets jerseys look like cheap fashion jerseys). The same-color wordmark on the shorts is dumb.

Completely underwhelmed.

That is your irrelevant opinion. The fans of the team love them.

The uniforms aren't great. The purple would look better with "Charlotte". The number font kinda sucks, and it needs an outline. The logo on the back is stupid (and the weird thing is, fashion Swingman jerseys have the NBA logo on the back neck, so these Hornets jerseys look like cheap fashion jerseys). The same-color wordmark on the shorts is dumb.

Completely underwhelmed.

That is your irrelevant opinion. The fans of the team love them.

Cool story, bro. I doubt every single fan loves the uniform. Even the fans on this board have mixed reactions.

Go find someone else to annoy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just look at the lakers

Unpopular opinion: I never liked the pinstripes. So I'm glad to see them gone. The side stripes are bold and distinct. I love them! My only real complaint is the lack of a number outline.

All in all? I really like these. Which says a lot because I'm not super down with the name change and I thought the logos were underwhelming.

Still, a good uniform is a good uniform. These are distinct, bold, simple yet not boring. I'm glad they didn't try to get overly cute with subliminated honeycomb patterns or the like. Well played HorniCats.

Who designed the uniforms?

Like the overall brand identity, the uniforms were designed in collaboration with senior executives within the Hornets organization; Jordan Brand, a division of Nike; and the NBA’s Global Merchandising Group. Both Jordan Brand and Nike have a long history of working with professional teams and universities in developing brand identities and utilize some of the world’s most highly recognized designers.

Yeah it sounds like they did their homework on this look and it came out great. The old pinstripes were awful so I'm glad they put them on the side instead of the front. I prefer a symmetrical design but this asymmetrical design is a nice nod to old school designs. It is strange the primary logo isn't anywhere on the uni but there are a few teams that do this as well. The location of the NBA logo is weird too. The only other thing I would fix is to match the numbers and wordmarks.

Overall it is a solid look and it is a look unique to this version of the Hornets. I think that was the point. These aren't your daddy's Hornets, but they are still the Hornets and they have enough nods to that old team. I give these an 8.5

Some high res shots:

BqgNeYbIMAAGfak.jpg

BqgNYaLCMAA7aQD.jpg

BqgNS9xIYAAOgTa.jpg

Aw man...I expected better than the Phoenix Suns, Charlotte-style. Just like those jerseys, the unique color scheme is the only thing that saves these, it's minimal and simple in all the wrong ways. The numbers are huge, and look weird paired with the contrasting wordmark. I honestly would've taken a recolored Bobcats pinstripe jersey over this.

It's just lifeless.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I am loving it. I wrote a blog post with my thoughts on it: http://butattheendoftheday.com/2014/06/19/charlotte-hornets-unveil-new-uniforms-and-i-like-them/

Their homage to the old Charlotte team by the collar and pinstripe is subtle and nice. The asymmetry is a great homage to the 90s. Overall, I am not disappointed. It's not everything we wanted, but it gave us more than what we deserve in this cookie cutter design of the NBA trend. I think it's fantastic

Go A's!

I think it's telling that there aren't any sleeved jerseys in this set. Fan and player backlash may have forced Adidas to back off on that front.

jordan/nike designed the unis, Adidas only manufactured them. There is no way Jordan would design a competitors design feature into their unis

Archived