Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

I don't think it is right for the Bobcats to change their names to the Hornets. The only reason that they're doing this is to please the fans in Charlotte. None of this would happen if the Bobcats had a couple of postseason berths. I think Charlotte should focus on improving the team instead of changing their names. I put that blame on Michael Jordan and their GM for not improving the team. It's just pointless for the Bobcats be the Hornets because that Charlotte Hornets franchise is in New Orleans as the Pelicans. Just give the Bobcats name a chance. :angered:

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOOOOOOOO! Bring back this court

0.jpg

The Bobcats identity is one of the worst in sports and the Charlotte Hornets were one of the best. You still see Charlotte Hornets gear. They're like the Hartford Whalers of the NBA. And now that New Orleans has graciously given it up, it's time to take it back. This move makes too much sense not to happen.

As for the histories - New Orleans gets the Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets, Oklahoma City Hornets, New Orleans Hornets, New Orleans Pelicans 1988-present history. Charlotte gets the Charlotte Bobcats, new Charlotte Hornets 2002-present history. It's no messier than the Winnipeg Jets situation.

Nobody is pretending this is the same team that grandmama and Divac played for on the greatest court in the history of basketball. Charlotte is just getting their team back instead of the pretenders that have worn blue and orange for the last decade. It'll be the same sorry players, but some times a name change is all you need.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'll assent to this only if they have Mugsy Bogues throwback night. With Mugsy actually playing.

Hell, he's still probably good enough to start for the Horncats.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

0.jpg

The Bobcats identity is one of the worst in sports and the Charlotte Hornets were one of the best. You still see Charlotte Hornets gear. They're like the Hartford Whalers of the NBA. And now that New Orleans has graciously given it up, it's time to take it back. This move makes too much sense not to happen.

As for the histories - New Orleans gets the Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets, Oklahoma City Hornets, New Orleans Hornets, New Orleans Pelicans 1988-present history. Charlotte gets the Charlotte Bobcats, new Charlotte Hornets 2002-present history. It's no messier than the Winnipeg Jets situation.

Nobody is pretending this is the same team that grandmama and Divac played for on the greatest court in the history of basketball. Charlotte is just getting their team back instead of the pretenders that have worn blue and orange for the last decade. It'll be the same sorry players, but some times a name change is all you need.

Maybe it is high time for Utah to graciously give up the Jazz name and bring it back to New Orleans, then the Utah team can get a new name like SLC Pioneers, Utah Saints, Utah Blizzard, Utah Speed (for the Bonneville Salt Flats), Utah Buzz (The Beehive), etc....

AS far as Charlotte goes, if they do not want the Hornets name, they could try the Charlotte Fury or the Charlotte Speed, both in tribute to NASCAR.

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Why are you still allowed to post.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

EDIT: Stupid board software doesn't parse kanji.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good riddance to the Bobcats. I've hated just about every part of the identity since they debuted: the name, colors, jerseys; all of them were bad in my eyes. Even if they technically wont be the original Hornets (I'm not against them using the old Hugo logo, but I hope they try something different, like something along the style of the Fleur de Bee), Im most likely to think of them as such regardless (in my mind, with this possible name change, the Pelicans become the "expansion" team).

If that's what they do, great...I'm just a bit taken aback that all the stories say things like "going BACK to the Hornets name." We can argue on what should be done about the history, but as it currently stands it is not debatable...the "going back" headline is false.

Here is ESPN's Story:

http://espn.go.com/n...e-hornets-again

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Maybe it is high time for Utah to graciously give up the Jazz name and bring it back to New Orleans, then the Utah team can get a new name like SLC Pioneers, Utah Saints, Utah Blizzard, Utah Speed (for the Bonneville Salt Flats), Utah Buzz (The Beehive), etc....

AS far as Charlotte goes, if they do not want the Hornets name, they could try the Charlotte Fury or the Charlotte Speed, both in tribute to NASCAR.

The Jazz are not a charity organization. The Jazz brand is worth tens of millions of dollars that they are not going to flush down the toilet in order to have LESS brand recognition, but ease the mind of people who...after 30 years...still fall to pieces at the idea of the name.

Frankly, I'm glad the Hornets name is being used by Charlotte again. That's one more component of those idiotic name transfer ideas dead...who are the Jazz gonna swap names with now to ease people's minds?!?!?!?

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I don't think it is right for the Bobcats to change their names to the Hornets. The only reason that they're doing this is to please the fans in Charlotte. None of this would happen if the Bobcats had a couple of postseason berths. I think Charlotte should focus on improving the team instead of changing their names. I put that blame on Michael Jordan and their GM for not improving the team. It's just pointless for the Bobcats be the Hornets because that Charlotte Hornets franchise is in New Orleans as the Pelicans. Just give the Bobcats name a chance. :angered:

Yeah, why would they want to please the people that buy tickets?

I'm just a bit taken aback that all the stories say things like "going BACK to the Hornets name." We can argue on what should be done about the history, but as it currently stands it is not debatable...the "going back" headline is false.

The "going back" headline isn't necessarily false. Its accuracy is dependent upon how it is used.

If lazy reporters make the mistake of stating that the Charlotte Bobcats FRANCHISE is going back to the Hornets name, then the headline is false. After all, the Bobcats never bore the Hornets nickname to begin with.

In order to accurately describe the situation, it should be stated that the Bobcats are "going back to the Charlotte MARKET'S former NBA franchise name, the Hornets".

The Charlotte Hornets and the Seattle Supersonics will both be making their triumphant returns soon.

All is right in the NBA again.

Umm...check your crystal ball on the latter one.

Today, we are all otaku.

0.jpg

No. Hell no.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I'll assent to this only if they have Mugsy Bogues throwback night. With Mugsy actually playing.

Hell, he's still probably good enough to start for the Horncats.

love that guy. my one true celebrity autograph i have is from that wonderful man. most inspirational NBA-er ever?

On a related note...

IG4kHcy.jpg

I almost completely forgot the Hornets had an alternate.

Also is it too much to assume the Bobcats will break out Hornets throwbacks next season? The jerseys don't even say Hornets on them so they could get away with it being an alternate.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived