Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

I think the number-thing might have to do with the new materials Adidas went with a few years ago...they stripped down a lot of the design out of the numbers due to how they're manufactured and applied to the jerseys themselves.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new uniforms are boring. How can you make Hornets jerseys without pinstripes? These new ones are cookie cutter modern NBA uniforms. There will be nothing about them to be remembered. Would there have been an outcry if they just brought back the classic 90's uniforms? Of course not, they were great. I dont get the forced update to the look. The old logo and old jerseys were great.

I actually really liked the jerseys, until I noticed a lower case "n" in the middle of "HORnETS". Now I can't unsee it and it's ruining the jerseys for me. Sorry if I just ruined the jerseys to someone else with mild OCD

It's not a lowercase letter, it's the font, it's impossible to do an "N" that looks like that because of the font. Have you ever seen Burn Notice? They use a similar font in the credits, the "N" is like that.

I actually really liked the jerseys, until I noticed a lower case "n" in the middle of "HORnETS". Now I can't unsee it and it's ruining the jerseys for me. Sorry if I just ruined the jerseys to someone else with mild OCD

It's not a lowercase letter, it's the font, it's impossible to do an "N" that looks like that because of the font. Have you ever seen Burn Notice? They use a similar font in the credits, the "N" is like that.

No I haven't seen it, but thanks for clearing that up. I guess I dislike it a little less now

The new uniforms are boring. How can you make Hornets jerseys without pinstripes? These new ones are cookie cutter modern NBA uniforms. There will be nothing about them to be remembered. Would there have been an outcry if they just brought back the classic 90's uniforms? Of course not, they were great. I dont get the forced update to the look. The old logo and old jerseys were great.

How many times does it have to be stated that Charlotte could not use the old logo/uniform or anything that closely resembled them? The NBA doesn't allow it and made Charlotte create something entirely new. They own the original stuff as throwbacks now and will wear it occasionally down the road, just not this year.

I think the number-thing might have to do with the new materials Adidas went with a few years ago...they stripped down a lot of the design out of the numbers due to how they're manufactured and applied to the jerseys themselves.

That's right. Memphis is a glaring example.

uxtagn7lhf0lt32klthn7piof.gif2571_memphis_grizzlies-road-2011.gif

ujsignature.png

How many times does it have to be stated that Charlotte could not use the old logo/uniform or anything that closely resembled them? The NBA doesn't allow it and made Charlotte create something entirely new. They own the original stuff as throwbacks now and will wear it occasionally down the road, just not this year.

I don't advocate bring back old uniforms verbatim, however I don't care about "NBA doesn't allow...", because the "NBA" is essentially the teams, and being one of the teams, they could push for an exception or to just change the rule. It's not like it has to go to SCOTUS to get an injunction or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't advocate bring back old uniforms verbatim, however I don't care about "NBA doesn't allow...", because the "NBA" is essentially the teams, and being one of the teams, they could push for an exception or to just change the rule. It's not like it has to go to SCOTUS to get an injunction or something.

Making something that resembles the originals would be stupid. It would demolish the value of the throwback gear, which the team now sales. They also plan on wearing the original jerseys down the road as a throwback. That would also be rendered pointless.

These new sets look better than the old ones. The originals are vastly overrated. Yeah, they're ridiculously popular, but that's just because of the colors & how different they were in the 80/90s. They stood out & everyone sent crazy over teal. The actual design itself is about as bland & boring as it gets. Paint the originals any color other than teal/purple & they're the most boring, bland set from the era.

Disagree totally. Sure the teal was the biggest thing, but the stripes were a big deal at that time. Also not too many teams were using non-standard number fonts.

My point is that the whole point to this exercise was to capitalize on the nostalgia of the old team and to essentially "bring them back". I'm fine if this was the direction they wanted to take it (I don't like it, but that's fine) but there could have been a transitional set - kind of like the old NO Hornets set, which was a nice update of the old set.

At the very least, I think putting the stripes back on the front in some fashion, and putting CHARLOTTE on the main uniforms should have been no brainers. I'd've preferred a more rounded font, but that's not the end of the world.

Not having stripes literally is the end of the world. Literally. If they take the court with these, a comet will hit the earth and do us like the dinosaurs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Threw a few tweaks to them this morning, would the NBA considered these too much like the old uniforms?

1795387_10152259345691429_85890101150700

The teal alternate color, paired with the pinstripes is such a fantastic color combination.

After seeing so much of the purple on the uniforms, I think the focus should be primarily on the teal. The purple is just too "grape" so to say. I think it's too dark, but I understand why the chose it.

I like these. That being said, they're far from perfect. Like BBTV, the biggest omission is the pinstripes. Besides the colors, the pinstripes are the first thing you think of about the old Hornets and those should have been incorporated. It didn't even have to be pinstripes across the front of the jersey. I think just having side panels (note that it's plural) with pinstripes in the side panel would've been a nice nod to the original uniforms.

But forgetting the pinstripes for now, I actually like the side panel. I like the different colored stripes, I just wish they would have been more direct with the reference to the old uniforms. And only having it on one side is stupid. It screams 90s and not in the cool nostalgic way that people look at the jerseys with giant logos on the front or the crazy court designs.

The numbers should definitely have an outline. I don't even mind that the wordmark and numbers are different colors, I actually kind of like it, but going without an outline just looks cheap.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I can understand not doing the pinstripes on the new unis. If they did, the new unis would look too much like the old ones, which would mean throwback game unis wouldn't look much different than the current ones.

The only thing I really don't like about this new set is the panel on only one side. Because I think the four wide stripes down to a logo make for a great side panel. And I'd like to see two of them, not one.

Threw a few tweaks to them this morning, would the NBA considered these too much like the old uniforms?

1795387_10152259345691429_85890101150700

The teal alternate color, paired with the pinstripes is such a fantastic color combination.

After seeing so much of the purple on the uniforms, I think the focus should be primarily on the teal. The purple is just too "grape" so to say. I think it's too dark, but I understand why the chose it.

Man, those are gorgeous.

The new uniforms are boring. How can you make Hornets jerseys without pinstripes? These new ones are cookie cutter modern NBA uniforms.

Find me other NBA uniforms with asymmetrical striping. A very prominent design element in this set, one they own.

"Cookie Cutter" doesn't mean what you think it means.

The collar clashes with the rest of the jersey. I get it's an homage to the past, but then why not anything else? You have a 2014 uniform with a 199x collar.

Archived