Lights Out

Charlotte Hornets?

^ So you're saying in this case of the black jersey, the fill should be red and the outline should be white?

i bet you guys complain about the bears navy jersey with orange numbers with no outlines...

the horror.

Stop taking legitimate complaints regarding your team's new uniforms so personally. Heck, I even said I like them overall. The lack of an outline on the numbers is the one issue I have with these from an aesthetic perspective.

? im pleased with the reception its gotten otb, usually things have 4-5 things nitpicked to death. This for the most part only has one. Im glad youre concerned though!

The hornets unis look awful with that number outline. A clean, modern and sharp uni becomes instantly subpar.

The hornets uni's look awful with that number outline. A clean, modern and sharp uni becomes instantly subpar.

That's my sense as well. I was right to call it a fussy detail they avoided.

I'd be fine with the no-outlined numbers if they weren't so large. Numbers that big should have outlines, unless they're on a jersey with only two colors to work with.

The boldness of the numbers (which is partially a function of size, I guess) is why I don't think they need outlines. There's no mis-reading them on a jersey.

The boldness of the numbers (which is partially a function of size, I guess) is why I don't think they need outlines. There's no mis-reading them on a jersey.

It's hard to mis-read them with outlines. Pretty sure those numbers still say 44 in those altered pictures.

Legibility isn't why I think the size is a problem, it's just that highlighting the one contrasting element on the jersey is a bad idea. The size of the numbers bring undue attention to them, drawing your eyes to the one thing on the jerseys that's completely at odds with everything else. The Phoenix Suns jerseys have the same problem, because even though the numbers are smaller, the sun rays/speed lines highlight and call attention to the fact that they don't really match anything else by their lack of outline (especially the home jersey).

Yes, but they have an unnecessary element in them.

I don't see them as unnecessary. I see them as visually complete. The versions without the outline look like they're missing something.

Yes, but they have an unnecessary element in them.

Agree to disagree. I think the outlines would make them look better. Plus, one-color numbers always remind me of youth-league jerseys and shoe-string budgets.

^ So you're saying in this case of the black jersey, the fill should be red and the outline should be white?

That's one option.

Another would be to make the name red. Most people would object to that because of legibility/contrast, but I see the name as non-essential. It's icing on the cake to me, and so I don't really care if it's as legible as the team name or numbers. I'm more concerned with it working with the rest of the design. I liked when Oregon did the black on black names.

The third option would be to do a two color name, but that gets cumbersome on a basketball jersey because there's so little real estate. it works better for football, hockey and baseball.

That's one option.

Another would be to make the name red. Most people would object to that because of legibility/contrast, but I see the name as non-essential. It's icing on the cake to me, and so I don't really care if it's as legible as the team name or numbers. I'm more concerned with it working with the rest of the design. I liked when Oregon did the black on black names.

The third option would be to do a two color name, but that gets cumbersome on a basketball jersey because there's so little real estate. it works better for football, hockey and baseball.

I get what you're saying about "completeness" - if mixing single color and double color, match the stroke of the double color - not the fill. Makes sense, and is probably one reason why the Braves look so good.

I like single color numbers (generally) and think that they can really enhance a good design - especially in football jerseys. A simple single color number can really make the rest of the design elements stand out as opposed to being the center of attention. I feel that the Steelers are a good example of this, even though they use a non-standard font. I really think the Bills could have gone with single color numbers in their last redesign.

I just don't think the Hornets pulled it off very well, because due to the size and design, the number has essentially become the focal point. It's a relatively plain jersey (at least on the front and back) and IMO just needs more. The more I think about it, matching the letters / numbers (on the front) would have worked better. I like your idea for the back (sacraficing legibility) and they could have pulled that off as well.

Or go with two color NOB - lots of teams have pulled this off well, including the Bulls, and the Iverson-era Sixers (who had a relatively large font.)

OK...Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is blocking a malicious site here...

What did one of you do?

OK...Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is blocking a malicious site here...

What did one of you do?

Oh no!!

i bet you guys complain

you are correct.

I prefer for the purple numbers to have no outlines when paired with the teal name on back.

jefferson-hornets.jpg?w=255&h=272

Very happy with the overall rebranding process, this article pretty much sums it up for me: Fresh, clean and classy.

That picture doesn't do the uniforms much justice. Those numbers look goofy and the light blue nameplate and purple numbers looks goofy.

I don't know, I want to like it, but I'm just not a fan. It looks like a amateur attempt at recreating the "buzz" (pun intended) that was the Charlotte Hornets.

I prefer for the purple numbers to have no outlines when paired with the teal name on back.

jefferson-hornets.jpg?w=255&h=272

Very happy with the overall rebranding process, this article pretty much sums it up for me: Fresh, clean and classy.

That picture doesn't do the uniforms much justice. Those numbers look goofy and the light blue nameplate and purple numbers looks goofy.

I don't know, I want to like it, but I'm just not a fan. It looks like a amateur attempt at recreating the "buzz" (pun intended) that was the Charlotte Hornets.

I like these jerseys alot but Im still bothered a bit..no outlines on those BIG numbers makes em look a lil amateurish. ? just saying. (Beatin a dead horse)

The teal NOB without a purple outline above the purple number without a teal outline looks a lot better than the front of the jerseys where there's a teal wordmark with a purple outline above a solid purple number. If you're going to go minimalist then go full minimalist.

I like how the 76ers do it

evanturner.jpg

though they have the darker color on top, which I think looks better than having darker color below the lighter color (another problem I have with these Hornets jerseys).