Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an opportunity to give these uniforms their 90-day review. I love the colors and the name so I'd probably forgive everything else no matter what in most cases, but...

There have been times, even in HD, when the numbers were hard to read on the teal jerseys. I wouldn't advocate an outline necessarily, but a switch to white numbers, matching the wordmark and the classic Hornets unis wouldn't be the worst solution... IMO.

It's an opportunity to give these uniforms their 90-day review. I love the colors and the name so I'd probably forgive everything else no matter what in most cases, but...

There have been times, even in HD, when the numbers were hard to read on the teal jerseys. I wouldn't advocate an outline necessarily, but a switch to white numbers, matching the wordmark and the classic Hornets unis wouldn't be the worst solution... IMO.

Couldn't agree more
shado_logo.gif

tomtucker is a poster to watch in 2014. You heard it here first.

Who is the "poster to watch" in 2015?

JasonFromMiami

After checking the announcements thread, looks like he's got one foot out the door already. May need a backup.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So how long will it be before someone on here laments the loss of the Bobcats?

I actually thought I would see the Bobcats in the Unpopular Opinions thread by now.

I could say that...yeah the name/uniforms/identity is better now, but I am not a fan of teams just changing names when they don't relocate (Hornets to Pelicans; Bullets to Wizards; Devil Rays to Rays, though that's a bit cleaner). I like franchise names you can count on.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've been lamenting the loss of the Bobcats. I thought they finally got the color scheme right. They got everything else right, but I did like the way those colors looked. As it happens, the new Hornets have the same problem: that terrific color scheme with some merely adequate uniforms and a cluttered logo system that can't make enough room for Hugo the Hornet, their signature logo.

Had the Hornets stayed in Oklahoma City like they should have, perhaps the Bobcats could have reappropriated the teal and purple and the Hornets' avant-garde sensibilities while keeping the Bobcats name. I might have liked that. I'm sure the Charlotte faithful wouldn't have bought it, but it could have worked.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You may be alone in that.

If the Bobcats had an identity worth keeping, they would have kept it.

I won't claim I'm in the majority, but it seems as if I'm far from alone.

The Bobcats identity was lost because the team failed to win. The identity was seen as "inferior" to that of the Hornets, who pioneered the teal/purple trend that would take over sports in the 90s. Hornets nostalgia combined with a poor on-court performance? The Bobcats identity never stood a chance.

Which is strange because the original Hornets' contributions to middle school fashion far outweighed anything they did on the court. The nostalgia for a team that never made it past the second round of the playoffs is astonishing.

You may be alone in that.

If the Bobcats had an identity worth keeping, they would have kept it.

I won't claim I'm in the majority, but it seems as if I'm far from alone.

The Bobcats identity was lost because the team failed to win. The identity was seen as "inferior" to that of the Hornets, who pioneered the teal/purple trend that would take over sports in the 90s. Hornets nostalgia combined with a poor on-court performance? The Bobcats identity never stood a chance.

Which is strange because the original Hornets' contributions to middle school fashion far outweighed anything they did on the court. The nostalgia for a team that never made it past the second round of the playoffs is astonishing.

It's slightly more than that. The Hornets were the first major pro sports team in the Carolinas, and the organization made an effort to make it everyone's team. Not Charlotte, not North Carolina, everyone's team. That led to the selling out of all home games for years, which, while the team never made it to the conference finals, made good memories.

The Hornets 1.0 at least won a good bit of their games, but the Bobcats had the stigma of perineal losers. Their identity hit its peak around 2007-2008, when they added the new secondary logos/ pinstriped uniforms. Really, they should have stopped there, but fir whatever reason they chose to add Carolina blue is crazy.(MJ might have had a say) But whatever change they made, the losing kept on, so management realized that fan morale and sales would probably go up if they changed the name to Hornets.(Which it did. Substantialy) The Bobcats identity had good intentions, but when the on court product is a consistent storm of suck, like that seven win season, you may have to change your look to try and forget things like that.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

The Hornets 1.0 at least won a good bit of their games, but the Bobcats had the stigma of perineal losers.

It tainted their uniforms.

The nostalgia for a team that never made it past the second round of the playoffs is astonishing.

clzty1tgf8glzas62fq6fyphr.gifdhhc15gfgtog1qo5b5uwpz8h0.gif0uoumo4hp8daek0qfmje0rol3.gif

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived