Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jordan has mentioned in a letter to fans that the colors may not necessarily be teal and purple, and the logo may change as well.

IMO, you can't bring back the Hornets without bring back Teal, Purple, and the Hugo logo. Sure, let the brand evolve in the next few years, but bringing back what people remember the Charlotte Hornets to be will bring a peak in what this move was made for in the first place: excitement and embracing of the team.

If Jordan screws this up, he's cemented himself as the biggest owner failure of NBA history, in terms of branding.

It may be my computer screen, or the lighting in the photo, but that season ticket poster (and please pardon my non-designer terminology) seems to be of a "bluer" shade of purple, and I swear that's closer to Carolina blue than it is to teal.

(BTW, what's the difference between "teal" and "turquoise"? I always considered the Hornets, Carolina Panthers, and San Jose sharks to "turquoise" as opposed to the Jacksonville Jaguars "teal." Or are the Crayola names just fooling me?)

Oh boy...here we go again...

There's not some sort of magic formula determining Turquoise (or Aqua) from Teal...probably the best way to determine it would be in regards to the lightness of the color. Turquoise tends to be a lighter color, and also emphasizes Green over the Blue in the color. Teal tends to be somewhat darker, and favors Blue over the Green.

I've done this more than a few times on this board, but here's a comparison of some of the Teals, Aquas, and Turquoises being used - not to mention, a few others that are mislabeled as Teal, Turquoise or Aqua.

Here are some examples:

JacksonvilleJaguarsTeal_9999_SCC_SRGB.pngMiamiDolphinsAqua_9999_SCC_SRGB.pngNewOrleansHornetsTeal_2008_SCC_SRGB.pngSanJoseSharksTeal_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Notice that Jaguars Teal and Sharks Teal are EXACTLY THE SAME COLOR.

MemphisGrizzliesTurquoise_2004_SCC_SRGB.pngFloridaMarlinsBlue_2011_SCC_SRGB.png

These colors are essentially various shades of Light Blue, and should not really be considered Teal/Turquoise/Aqua:

NewOrleansHornetsBlue_2013_SCC_SRGB.pngCharlotteBobcatsLightBlue_2014_SCC_SRGB.pngCarolinaPanthersBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.pngNorthCarolinaUOfBlueAthl_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Just yesterday, I corrected the Wikipedia entry for the Charlotte Bobcats. It had listed the Bobcats' colors as Navy, TEAL, Orange and Silver. If you're going to call that color Teal, then you're also going to need to call the Houston Oilers, current Denver Nuggets and Tennessee Titans as also wearing Teal.

Thanks for posting that. I've always had a problem with the old Wizards colors. Sometimes it looked blue, sometimes it looked more green to me although it is officially slate blue. Same with the T-wolves. I also didn't realize just how dark the Jaguars teal is.

It would it be Joker .gif worthy to see the new Hornets come out in red, white, and blue gear. I don't think Jordan's going to screw it up, but if there's one owner who's capable of it, it's him.

Anyway on the topic of logos the original Charlotte Hornets version of Hugo is incredibly dated. Both updates used in New Orleans are superior, with the 2008-2013 version being the best version of that logo to date. That logo with a slightly modernized Charlotte Hornets wordmark would work. Plus using a modern take on the Hornets' look will allow them to wear the original Charlotte set as throwbacks. By using a modernized logo/uniform you double your merchandising opportunities by selling the old stuff alongside the new stuff.

What would be really cool, however, would be if they used a version of the initial unused Hornets logo from 1988. It won't happen because so much of this Hornets nostalgia is tied up in Hugo, but I think it's both a sharp logo and a good way to differentiate this Hornets team from the old one (because they're, you know, not the same team). See Winnipeg Jets 2.0 and their branding for further info on that talking point.

Donovan, can we get a comparison of the above purple and "teal" with the old Hornets colors and the current Bobcats colors? ;)

That looks like PANTONE 279 C being used for the lighter color - which is Bobcats Light Blue. The Purple looks like the original Hornets' Purple.

CharlotteHornets_FRC_2002_SCC_SRGB.png

CharlotteBobcats_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Used my computer to specify the RGB. I get the idea of using subtle unique colors in team sports, but damn! Can we get a little more variance?!

RGB: 0, 130, 186 (Creole Blue)

RGB: 0, 133, 202 (Panther Blue)

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

no team in the east wears purple

only the lakers and kings do in the league (phoenix is phasing out purple, right?)

these look pretty nice

ELMoFdZ.jpg

90's cartoony, but upgrade them. i dig the purple and teal or whatever blue they're using in the teaser

Archived