Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, but that's not what was said.

And again what did the original Hornets do on the court to earn this wealth of nostalgia? Last I checked they could never make it out of the second round. Not exactly a legacy worth resurrecting. Especially not when the original team is still active.

And again what did the original Hornets do on the court to earn this wealth of nostalgia? Last I checked they could never make it out of the second round. Not exactly a legacy worth resurrecting. Especially not when the original team is still active.

They were a mark of legitimacy for Charlotte as a sports town. While it was perhaps inevitable that Charlotte would be a town where big-time pro sports would appear, it wasn't until the Hornets that it was a reality. I can see why people would connect to that.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

They were a mark of legitimacy for Charlotte as a sports town. While it was perhaps inevitable that Charlotte would be a town where big-time pro sports would appear, it wasn't until the Hornets that it was a reality. I can see why people would connect to that.

Which is all well and good, but this is the first time I've heard that argument. The driving forces for this Hornets nostalgia seems to be a fondness for teal and purple and Starter jackets.

Which is all well and good, but this is the first time I've heard that argument. The driving forces for this Hornets nostalgia seems to be a fondness for teal and purple and Starter jackets.

I think you have to have grown up in area with team to understand what the Hornets mean to that community

Go A's!

Aside from what the team meant to the locals, they were also one of the biggest teams around the world - their rise in the early 90s coincided with the NBA going truly global, and the Hornets were one of the most marketed teams. For years sports shops in Europe were filled with Hornets merchandise, and they were shown on TV more than any other teams, with the exception of MJ's Bulls. Yes, they were mostly mediocre, but they were still a cult phenomenon.

I think you have to have grown up in area with team to understand what the Hornets mean to that community

Sorry, I'm not buying the Cleveland-esque "you just have to be from here to understand" argument.

I think it's because the Bobcats identity is so :censored:ty and the team's play so :censored:ty that Charlotte never actually felt any attachment to them. If the identity of the team they loved is available then why not use it?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yea this whole argument that the Hornets were a "fad" and it wont change anything now is just silly to me. Like... those colors, the purple and blue, are AWESOME. Buzz City is fun. It WILL make the Hornets cool again. More people will go to their games and maybe if it's only because they want to see this new phenomenon, there is a better chance they stick around. It brings people in, creates buzz (excuse the pun), and really has no downside.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I never got the see the original Charlotte Hornets back when they were in their hay-day (mostly cause I wasn't born til '95) but I definitely think the excitement exists because of the colours and logos essentially. Some guy just made a brand that rubbed people the right way and that caused great crowds, not to mention the team did pretty fair to what I understand. I mean I can walk around Halifax even and I see Charlotte Hornets hats, jerseys, jackets and shirts. I definitely agree with the "we cheer for clothes" idea and this is a case of that. Is this a bad thing? Heck no! I absolutely adore the colours, reminds me of my favorite Poptarts! Honestly all the excitement makes me feel like a kid again and reminds me also why I'm on this forum.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

What you think of the Bobcats and their identity is irrelevant. They were never the Hornets. Therefore they cannot go back to being the Hornets.

Let's all remember this if/when Seattle gets the Sonics "back."

Not quite the same. The Sonics, in name, never left. The identity stayed with the city. There also won't be a new team with a new identity that is changing to become the Sonics.

Glad for Charlotte, but I imagine there's a temporary dip in sales for the Charlotte NBA franchise next year because no one will buy Bobcats stuff.

Also, I think the NBA wanted to have a year between the changes to try to lessen the confusion some people will inevitably have.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Glad for Charlotte, but I imagine there's a temporary dip in sales for the Charlotte NBA franchise next year because no one will buy Bobcats stuff.

Also, I think the NBA wanted to have a year between the changes to try to lessen the confusion some people will inevitably have.

I wonder if they will start selling Hornets merchandise this year.

Were you rooting for the Jets to be named something else, because the Coyotes are still active, and despite Winnipeg's 30-year history under that moniker?

As far as the Hornets go, the name is awesome and so is their old identity. The Pelicans has been using that name, and then they took it and threw it in the garbage. I guess they weren't proud to be the Hornets. So why should we be debating over something that the team doesn't even want?

Archived