Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

Given that the 2014 Charlotte Hornets palette was mistakenly posted by the NBA, only to be subsequently taken down by them, we are going to err on the side of discretion and remove references to said colors here in the CCSLC, as well.

Sorry, folks. We simply don't want to run afoul of the powers-that-be at NBA headquarters.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that the 2014 Charlotte Hornets palette was mistakenly posted by the NBA, only to be subsequently taken down by them, we are going to err on the side of discretion and remove references to said colors here in the CCSLC, as well.

Sorry, folks. We simply don't want to run afoul of the powers-that-be at NBA headquarters.

Just curious...what issues would you guys possibly run into with the NBA? I understand you prefer not having to go back and remove images or posts in the future IF asked to do so, but...the colors are just going to undoubtedly show up on many a blog or website. One would think that a website and forum devoted to uniform and logo design would be the ideal place for such a leak to appear. And so it did.

But here's my issue: why is it necessary to "erase" this leak of colors when most every other logo/uniform leak is permissible (and dare I say desired -- it's why many people come back to this site)? Such policing seem quite inconsistent in my opinion.

Just curious...what issues would you guys possibly run into with the NBA? I understand you prefer not having to go back and remove images or posts in the future IF asked to do so, but...the colors are just going to undoubtedly show up on many a blog or website. One would think that a website and forum devoted to uniform and logo design would be the ideal place for such a leak to appear. And so it did.

But here's my issue: why is it necessary to "erase" this leak of colors when most every other logo/uniform leak is permissible (and dare I say desired -- it's why many people come back to this site)? Such policing seem quite inconsistent in my opinion.

It COULD cause a C&D order. But yet again I'm only assuming this...

Saying a team's history belongs to a city completely disregards fans outside of that city -- and perhaps some in the city -- who continued to follow the team when it left. If an Oilers fan stuck with the Oilers/Titans upon the move to Tennessee, should that history be ripped from his fandom because an expansion team showed up and the Oilers name was available?

I respectfully disagree and was a HUGE Oilers fan in the 1970's and 1980's as well as a Sonics fan during the same era. I couldn't care less about the Houston Texans and if Seattle were to land the Kings and not re-name them the Sonics, I'd feel the exact same way about them too.

I don't think the NBA can send a cease & desist to stop talking about uniform colors they mistakenly revealed. I understand removing the image, but what's done is done ... and done by the NBA.

I've gotten C&D's for the most ridiculous things, they most certainly could have sent one for this

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I don't think the NBA can send a cease & desist to stop talking about uniform colors they mistakenly revealed. I understand removing the image, but what's done is done ... and done by the NBA.

I've gotten C&D's for the most ridiculous things, they most certainly could have sent one for this

True, they can send one. I'm just not sure how you truly put a lid on that. I'll abide and not mention what colors I saw.

And mafiaman, I had to re-read my post from June you quoted, but I don't see how you disagree. If you don't care about the Texans, then that was sort of my point. If they had been called the Oilers you suddenly would? Or if they decided tomorrow to pretend to be? Why? They aren't the Oilers either way.

I'd rather have the Oilers identity alive in Tennessee than not at all. It'd be easier for fans to continue to identify with them post-move. I'd be curious if any Browns fans stuck with the Ravens. Sounds ridiculous in theory, but the payoff would have been much better than the imitation that replaced it. And if you're a Browns fan from Montana, Maine or Mississippi who cares? (I get the Cleveland pain.)

They called me at home once for revealing the Memphis Grizzlies' new colors a week early.

This action also screwed me out of getting decades' worth of NBA Style Guide information sent to me. I had filled out all of this paperwork to receive it (from a former NBA Creative Services employee who had kept stacks of the stuff), but my stupidity ruined it.

Tried again a couple years later to no avail.

They called me at home once for revealing the Memphis Grizzlies' new colors a week early.

This action also screwed me out of getting decades' worth of NBA Style Guide information sent to me. I had filled out all of this paperwork to receive it (from a former NBA Creative Services employee who had kept stacks of the stuff), but my stupidity ruined it.

Tried again a couple years later to no avail.

That's pretty harsh on their part!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Was there any discussion, or was it just a one-way conversation?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm fully aware that this post will likely get deleted by a mod, and by no means do I say this with intent to instigate, but I simply want to go on record in this thread by saying I think it's silly and overboard to have deleted the previous post I made that contained best "guesses" for what the new Hornets colors will be. I feel strongly that other members of this board should be aware of this.

I think the attempt to erase a suggestion that can't open up this site to any potential "C&D" was unnecessary and is an example of how the value of this board can be hindered.

Archived