Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

This kind of feels like when Creighton redid their logo, everybody was raving OMG BEST BLUE JAY LOGO EVAH, and I was just kind of like, "Okay. It's decent."

I would've preferred an updated angry Hugo, like the modernization posted earlier. That would be an instant best logo in the NBA.

So basically putting their wordmark and their secondary logo together like this?

CharlotteHornets2014_zps3f44d872.png

...and considering they're playing right this minute, who's ready to see this matchup next year:

HornetsvsBucks_zps4b0705e7.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bobcats as originally designed were kind of interesting. I liked the color scheme, the non-traditional uniforms, even the logo, which everyone here seems to really hate. Must have been too interesting for the NBA, because they chipped away at the identity too many times over the years. Their insistence on keeping their ugly proprietary typeface through every change baffled me. The color scheme they came up with last year was kind of promising. Oh well.

The state of these three franchises was best in 2007.

Ugh. Nothing was right in any aspect of the NBA in the mid-2000s. The teams, the unis, the logos, the video games, the broadcasters, the officiating scandal, the whole aspect and structure of the league was dull in that time. The current uplifting of the NBA began around 2008 and has been enjoyed since (minus the screeching halt because of those awful sleeved jerseys).

The Bobcats as originally designed were kind of interesting. I liked the color scheme, the non-traditional uniforms, even the logo, which everyone here seems to really hate. Must have been too interesting for the NBA, because they chipped away at the identity too many times over the years. Their insistence on keeping their ugly proprietary typeface through every change baffled me. The color scheme they came up with last year was kind of promising. Oh well.

Ugh. Nothing was right in any aspect of the NBA in the mid-2000s. The teams, the unis, the logos, the video games, the broadcasters, the officiating scandal, the whole aspect and structure of the league was dull in that time. The current uplifting of the NBA began around 2008 and has been enjoyed since (minus the screeching halt because of those awful sleeved jerseys).

Are you implying the NBA 2K games weren't good? No way.

bSLCtu2.png

Are you implying the NBA 2K games weren't good? No way.

Any NBA game on PS3 and XBOX 360 before NBA 2K9 sucked. That's just me.

2m3fic7.jpg

I think the primary sort of has the same problem as the Pelicans' primary. Looks like a head and wings tacked onto a word mark. Can't tell if those are supposed to be arms/lega or what, but that shape is just kind of odd.

And I was trying to say before that the alt has an odd home plate shape that looks out of place too. I like the side facing hornet though.

I'm happy the Hornets are back in Charlotte where they belong and I'm also happy they created a new logo. They original Hugo should stay as a Hardwood Classic and a part of the original Hornets. The Charlotte Hornets 2.0 should have their own look while still using the colors and hornet theme. Great job overall.

Rebrands like this gives me hope for the Supersonic 2.0 (whenever that will happen).

Rebrands like this gives me hope for the Supersonic 2.0 (whenever that will happen).

At this point, I'd put my hopes on expansion. The Kings dodged a bullet and the franchise was saved at the very last second.

I don't think anyone is on the verge of relocation anytime soon.

Milwaukee's making some early "give us a new arena or else" noises, so we'll see.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, and it's just the kind of sad-sack noise you'd expect from a low-level operation like the Bucks. "Our doors are rusted! Our windows leak!" Replace your doors and caulk your windows, numbnuts. You sound less like a team trying to get out of Milwaukee and more like a dad trying to get out of going to Lowe's.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would completely disagree with this. Nothing was right in the NBA in the late 90s through 2003. The 2003 draft was probably the best draft of the entire decade. Basketball was actually watchable from then on. The Pistons, though they whined constantly, brought back the essence of team basketball, and the Suns probably had one of the funnest offenses to watch.

I don't know how the broadcasters were awful in the mid-2000s, since they're pretty much the same as now.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like the logo, I just don't like the wordmark written in front of it. I like logos to be pictures or symbols that can be recognizable on its own without cities or names written all over it.

I don't like it when a logo has writing on it because in my opinion it detracts from the actual design of the logo. If it was just the hornet sans team name, it would be even cooler in my books. And my books are best sellers.

Also Carolina Hornets would sound even better than Charlotte Hornets.

The Catch of the Day!

Also Carolina Hornets would sound even better than Charlotte Hornets.

I think Charlotte works much better, as Charlotte has two syllables, just like Hornets. It's good balance. Much the same way Denver Nuggets works better than Colorado Nuggets.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, and it's just the kind of sad-sack noise you'd expect from a low-level operation like the Bucks. "Our doors are rusted! Our windows leak!" Replace your doors and caulk your windows, numbnuts. You sound less like a team trying to get out of Milwaukee and more like a dad trying to get out of going to Lowe's.

well when you are paying to use the arena, you expect it to be in good condition, and not the ish hole they play in

damm....i am really curious to see if their jerseys will say charlotte or hornets , or one of each

Obviously this is completely factless speculation, but I would guess both jerseys will say CHARLOTTE. More teams are leaning towards putting the city on their jerseys instead of the nickname, and the original Hornets had the city on both the home and roads to begin with.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

This kind of feels like when Creighton redid their logo, everybody was raving OMG BEST BLUE JAY LOGO EVAH, and I was just kind of like, "Okay. It's decent."

I would've preferred an updated angry Hugo, like the modernization posted earlier. That would be an instant best logo in the NBA.

So basically putting their wordmark and their secondary logo together like this?

...and considering they're playing right this minute, who's ready to see this matchup next year:

charlottefinalboardhugo2_zpsef07e5b8.png

More of like this.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived