Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

Also Carolina Hornets would sound even better than Charlotte Hornets.

I think Charlotte works much better, as Charlotte has two syllables, just like Hornets. It's good balance. Much the same way Denver Nuggets works better than Colorado Nuggets.

Plus, the Hornets nickname refers specifically to the nickname for the city of Charlotte as the Hornet's Nest. Carolina Hornets makes no sense.

The Revolutionary War thing always struck me as odd, seeing as the city's still named after the wife of King George III.

Eh, not as odd as the New ENGLAND Patriots.

That's a commonly bestowed name for a region used for more than a century and a half at the time of the American Revolution. Charlotte had only been settled in 1775 and incorporated in 1768, so the ink on the town charter was barely dry. Apples and Oranges.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, if someone could post into this thread, or send to me via PM, the new Charlotte Hornets wordmark, the new primary logo, the secondary logo with the "H" on the chest, and the full body Hugo logo, each in at least 1000 pxls tall and png format with transparent background, I would be greatly appreciative. All the ones I have been able to locate are much smaller than this and pixelate when I try to enlarge them for computer wallpaper. Thanks in advance.

As big as I could find on google-

http://www.csnnw.com/sites/csnnw/files/screen_shot_2013-12-22_at_9.47.59_am.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/414943850759593986/QgnO-IRK.jpeg

http://hoopdiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Primary_Hugo.png

http://hoopdiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Primary_Word_Mark.png

I'm not sure if they all have transparent backgrounds or not, but you should be able to make them that way.

I actually think that an article may have been posted here a year or so ago during a dicsussion of the NFL in England series. While Admiral may have been making a joke, I vaguely remember that there is some truth to that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The British fans I know who follow them (almost exclusively in the Wembley series) do so because they play in London a lot, and win a lot. Much more fun to watch a winning team, I'm told, especially since most of them follow football clubs like Charlton, Fulham and the like. Very wary of any "England" identification.

Hello, if someone could post into this thread, or send to me via PM, the new Charlotte Hornets wordmark, the new primary logo, the secondary logo with the "H" on the chest, and the full body Hugo logo, each in at least 1000 pxls tall and png format with transparent background, I would be greatly appreciative. All the ones I have been able to locate are much smaller than this and pixelate when I try to enlarge them for computer wallpaper. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if they all have transparent backgrounds or not, but you should be able to make them that way.

Nah he'll just request em on a transparent background too.

I don't think I've added my two cents on the package yet. Aside from Hugo having a basketball abdomen, I really like this set. The colors are great and the logos have a sharpness to them that I'd expect from a team called the Hornets.

Well done, Charlotte.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

The British fans I know who follow them (almost exclusively in the Wembley series) do so because they play in London a lot, and win a lot. Much more fun to watch a winning team, I'm told, especially since most of them follow football clubs like Charlton, Fulham and the like. Very wary of any "England" identification.

Yeah, I think it has more to do with the Pats being a dynasty when football's popularity in Britain was on the rise. New fans are attracted to the most successful team. Seems reasonable.

If I remember correctly the 49ers and Dolphins have fans over there for similar reasons (the NFL getting popular in the UK while they were powerhouses).

and there's no issue with the name Carolina who King Charles II named in honor of his father King Charles I?

I don't have a problem with Carolina or Charlotte as names. The east coast of North America was settled by the British, so of course names that reflect those British roots will remain even after American independence was achieved. That's fine. It just seems silly to hear Charlotte fans claim that the Hornets name NEEDS to be brought back to the city to celebrate its Revolutionary War heritage when the city itself is still named after the wife of the guy the Revolution was being waged against.

Geez what have I started here. I only wanted Carolina as the prefix because it would give the team appeal all around the Carolinas and match up with the Panthers and Hurricanes prefixes.

But now I started a discussion about Queen's , England and someone mentioned eating an apple with an orange while ink was still drying or something!

The Catch of the Day!

It just seems silly to hear Charlotte fans claim that the Hornets name NEEDS to be brought back to the city to celebrate its Revolutionary War heritage when the city itself is still named after the wife of the guy the Revolution was being waged against.

I'm not sure I really see the connection. The city's name works just fine on its own; George Washington didn't have to change his name either, when war was finally declared.

It just seems silly to hear Charlotte fans claim that the Hornets name NEEDS to be brought back to the city to celebrate its Revolutionary War heritage when the city itself is still named after the wife of the guy the Revolution was being waged against.

I'm not sure I really see the connection. The city's name works just fine on its own; George Washington didn't have to change his name either, when war was finally declared.

How committed are you really to the revolutionary cause when you refuse to change your Monarchist name like other places did? And yeah, there were a decent number of counties and towns that renamed themselves after the Revolution.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm surprised they haven't renamed it Earnhardtopolis yet.

Until that great day comes, of course they should be Charlotte, not Carolina. The Panthers should be the Charlotte Panthers, too. The Carolina Hurricanes shouldn't even be anything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks for posting these links. All are in nice large size and have transparent backgrounds, except the "partial primary logo" version, so this was very helpful. I appreciate the assistance.

If anyone has or knows of a source for a large size of the "partial primary logo" with a transparent background, please post. Thanks!

damm....i am really curious to see if their jerseys will say charlotte or hornets , or one of each

Obviously this is completely factless speculation, but I would guess both jerseys will say CHARLOTTE. More teams are leaning towards putting the city on their jerseys instead of the nickname, and the original Hornets had the city on both the home and roads to begin with.

yes, strange that some teams have the teamname on both home and away (Bulls) and some have city (New York) on both...........i wonder who makes the decision and why

I think that it comes down to a number of factors that depend on the team. I know the Knicks wear "NEW YORK" on both the home and road jerseys out of a sense of tradition. The Nets and Pelicans both went with city names on both jerseys out of a desire to emphasize the location aspect of their brands (the Nets being the first pro team in Brooklyn since the Dodgers, and the Hornets re-branding to the Pelicans specifically so they can tie the team name into the locale). The Bulls going with "BULLS" on the home and road jerseys may have started off as an aesthetic choice, but I think it's become tradition by this point. The Raptors dropped "TORONTO" from their road jerseys in an effort to appeal to the rest of Canada.
for exactly these reasons I think at least one of the hornets jerseys will say HORNETS because that is the portion of the rebrand they want to promote. New Orleans and Brooklyn really wanted to promote the city, but Charlotte is promoting the nickname change, and to sell jerseys with Hornets across the front makes sense to me in keeping with that promotion.
goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I don't like the forced basketball in the profile logo. Hugo's basketball nut sack is bad too

That was my first thought as well.

These colors are so pleasing though. I'm glad to have them back in major pro sports.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thanks for posting these links. All are in nice large size and have transparent backgrounds, except the "partial primary logo" version, so this was very helpful. I appreciate the assistance.

If anyone has or knows of a source for a large size of the "partial primary logo" with a transparent background, please post. Thanks!

Called it!

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

How committed are you really to the revolutionary cause when you refuse to change your Monarchist name like other places did? And yeah, there were a decent number of counties and towns that renamed themselves after the Revolution.

Thomas Jefferson really had no problem with the name "Charlottesville"...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Regarding this supposed rule which prevents teams from returning to discarded logos: didn't the Jazz and the Sixers do just that?

Not that I am complaining about the Hornets' new logos! But it seems to me that this rule must be pretty new.

Well the Hornets are a reincarnation, so to speak, of the Charlotte Hornets and not the original, so it's one thing for the original Hornets, who are now the Pelicans, to surrender their Hornets logos to the NBA. The jazz and Sixers are the same franchises that used those logos, so I don't see this rule applying to them. They're simply the same team returning to their own logos. That's not the case for these Charlotte Hornets.

Sorry to be a noodge on this and to prolong this interminable thread. But I just wanted to nail this down.

Here is a comment that cites the league rule:

I like it! Looks like the NBA wouldn't let them use the old logo.

From the Charlotte Observer:

Similar as the new-look Hornets will be to the old look, they didn't have the option to simply adopt exact replicas from the 1990s.

"We wanted to connect to the historical element, but we had to stay by league standards," said team president Fred Whitfield. "That forced us to refresh, rather than just go back to the old look."

Whitfield was referring to NBA rules that discarded logos go under league control and are marketed separately under what the NBA calls its "Hardwood Classics" brand.

That's the brand the Bobcats currently sell in their team store, with the original Hornets logos or replicas of jerseys worn by Larry Johnson or Alonzo Mourning. Whitfield said the team will start selling new Hornets-logo merchandise around the weekend of Jan. 18.

The league rule, as cited, just mentions "discarded logos": "discarded logos go under league control". It doesn't seem to make any distinction between a team going back to its own former logo and the unique case of the new Hornets potentially adopting a logo of the old Hornets.

So, I am still a bit confused. Didn't the Jazz go back to the wordmark with the note after not using it for a long time? And didn't the Sixers go back to the ball logo with the stars over the 7 in 76ers?

(Lights Out said that the Sixers tweaked the font and added the city name; but I am pretty sure that the circular logo on the floor of their arena is the same as the one they used in the 80s. And I am absolutely certain that it is presented there without the city name.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived