Chicago Blackhawks rebrand (UPDATE #2)

Edubdesign

Unpopular opinion: this concept > what the Blackhawks wear now.

Of course you'd say that.

A consistent striping pattern

There's nothing inconsistent about the Hawks' striping pattern. It's a five-stripe pattern on both jerseys.

black as the primary color

FOR THE LAST TIME, THE 'BLACK' IN 'BLACKHAWKS' HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COLOR!

a strong, well-rendered crest

You're probably the only person in the world who has such a problem with the Hawks' logo.

Anyway, as for the concept itself, this could never replace their current sweaters but as an alternate, I might see it working. After all, Lady Liberty worked well for the Rangers and it was a complete departure from their traditional sweaters.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the C&C guys. I took some of your suggestions, and produced another attempt at rebranding the Hawks.

As a few of you suggested, the black-gray combo didn't really work, and neither did the stars in the logo. Both are now gone, and the jerseys are red again.

The wings in the logo are now cocked up on an angle, in an attempt to look less, "Third Reich"-y. (Thank you, Hockey Week. I don't know how I missed that.)

I added an alt to the set, using the shield logo from the shoulders of the home and aways. I tried taking influences from all the weird torso striping patterns the team used before.

fwWtalw.png

And in addition, here's a version of the logo I whipped up for hats, t-shirts, and the like:

TlfPpjD.png

As always, C&C is encouraged. Thanks for all the advice and tips, guys. I really appreciate it.

I'd drop the stripes at the cuffs of the jerseys, but with gloves on, they'd be hardly noticeable anyway. The third is alright, it almost waters down an unbelievably good home and road. Those are absolutely gorgeous. downright fantastic. The only Blackhawks rebrand I've not only approved of, but downright liked. I'm typically against watermarks on concepts (most people are oversensitive and/or overestimating their concepts), but for this, I actually recommend it. I would love to see this on the ice in real life. Actually, I hope you do a concept or two of this as modeled on a player, just to see more of it. This would be epic for a Blackhawks' affiliate, too, just swap out the shoulder logos for the Hawks' primary. Freaking beautiful stuff.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Thanks very much, Hockey Week. I watermarked the concept as you suggested. I might try to model this on a player, but I'm right in the middle of finals right now, so I wouldn't be expecting that anytime soon.

Anything else, everyone?

Really? This guy uses all the C&C, adjusts his concept, and nobody else is going to say anything? C'mon guys, this board is better than that. any other C&C? I'll throw in one more, red shoulders on the alt, to make it a little more like the 92 throwbacks and less like the new Sens jerseys

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I really like this. The alt's a bit weird for me, I'm not sure why (awful c & c, sorry), but the logo is really sharp. Put that in your pocket for more projects.

Really? This guy uses all the C&C, adjusts his concept, and nobody else is going to say anything? C'mon guys, this board is better than that. any other C&C?

cYZnhrX.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Obviously, I wouldn't want to change the current 'Hawks look, but this is a good concept, nevertheless. There's one change I'd make though... I'd change the numbers on the red jersey to white with black outline. That way it matches the player name.

I really like this. The alt's a bit weird for me, I'm not sure why (awful c & c, sorry), but the logo is really sharp. Put that in your pocket for more projects.

The reason it's a bit weird is because it's a logo with stripes, on top of stripes.

Actually, after taking a good look at that third, I'm not crazy about that alternate logo, or the laces. I would ditch the laces, and come up with another logo. That logo is decent as a shoulder patch, but it's not strong enough to be the crest logo.

I like where you're going with this Eric, although it's a tough assignment because you're taking on one of the nicest uniforms in any sport.

What makes the Hawks' sweater so unique IMO, is the jolt of multi-colours on the front crest and shoulder patches.

Perhaps add a gold chevron (army) to the bottom of the shield in the logo, and make the bars in the shield green (army).

Funky's right...the shoulder patches are a little boring, (however Funky, ALL hockey sweaters should have laces).

Maybe take the old Chicago "C", and replace the war-clubs with crossed lightning bolts, for the shoulder patches.

Try a very light vintage white on your alts.

Keep at it. You're close.

Guest darkpiranha

Great out-of-the-box concept. However, in spite of cocking the wings up, I'm still getting a Third Reich vibe from it. I'd follow up on Sparky's suggestion to bring in some of the original logo's splash of colors back in. Try adding some of the other colors in in various subtle ways.

As much as we'll all say "so-and-so-marquee-team is untouchable" when it comes to rebranding certain teams, once in a while it's nice to see something that's just totally different from what we're used to seeing. While the Blakhawks would likely never wear this in real life, in a vacuum this would be a truly fantastic look for them. Love that crest and the home and road uniforms, though I will comment that I'm not quite feeling the third jersey. I appreciate the thought process behind the crest here, but I think it's better suited to being a shoulder patch.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I like where you're going with this Eric, although it's a tough assignment because you're taking on one of the nicest uniforms in any sport.

What makes the Hawks' sweater so unique IMO, is the jolt of multi-colours on the front crest and shoulder patches.

Perhaps add a gold chevron (army) to the bottom of the shield in the logo, and make the bars in the shield green (army).

Funky's right...the shoulder patches are a little boring, (however Funky, ALL hockey sweaters should have laces).

Maybe take the old Chicago "C", and replace the war-clubs with crossed lightning bolts, for the shoulder patches.

Try a very light vintage white on your alts.

Keep at it. You're close.

Sweaters don't have laces.

Black numbers on red jersey are a bit risky.

You're right bleuet, which is why I'm also thinking that the white border around those numbers should be a little thicker.

I think that the Flames have black numbers on red, don't they?

I'm gonna look that up.....("Final Jeopardy" song)

(Edit) They do.

Here's another update. I tried throwing in some of the colours from the original Native head logo into the new hawk logo, while trying not to make it too obtrusive. I changed the city-flag element to actually match the city flag of Chicago. Also, this update has some simplified striping, and a new fauxback alternate.

Once again, if there's something you really either like or dislike, don't hesitate to post. I've got another couple of things coming down the pipeline that I'll post here later this week.

6bzdy9I.png

Oh, by the way, the reason it says, "FOSTER'S" instead of Reebok on the alternate is a nod to Reebok's past: at the time the Hawks first wore their barber-pole sweater, Reebok was still a small regional company called, "J.W. Foster and Sons". Just adds a bit of authenticity to them, I think.

This slowly has gotten better. Honestly the only jersey I like is the latest alt. sweater with the shoulder crest as the logo. That actually looks like the Blackhawks brand to me, everything else doesn't really fit in my opinion. I would rather see a circle logo there instead of the shoulder logo. Maybe change the collar and strings to the vintage white as well..

Archived