Budweiser bowtie-shaped can

rcb05

zN6Tw8W.jpg

Congratulations, you'll be paying the same amount for less beer.

This is equivalent to when the soda industry changed the shape of their 1980s standard cans, so that there's a bell curve on the base and the sides curve at the top:

No.

OK then, you explain the changes to the soda can.

The tapered shape of soda cans was done to increase it's strength when stacked. The BowTie gimmick is purely to capitalize on the distinctive logo-thingy.

It also allowed for two- as opposed to three-piece construction and (probably) less material used. Rather than rolled and seam welded, the can's form pressed. The end product was stronger, safer, and cheaper from a material's standpoint. Great blend of engineering and design right thurrr.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zN6Tw8W.jpg

This is equivalent to when the soda industry changed the shape of their 1980s standard cans, so that there's a bell curve on the base and the sides curve at the top:

No.

OK then, you explain the changes to the soda can.

The tapered shape of soda cans was done to increase it's strength when stacked. The BowTie gimmick is purely to capitalize on the distinctive logo-thingy.

It also allowed for two- as opposed to three-piece construction and (probably) less material used. Rather than rolled and seam welded, the can's form pressed. The end product was stronger, safer, and cheaper from a material's standpoint. Great blend of engineering and design right thurrr.

Maybe, but I bet you wont see Pepsi or Coke adopt this model. They made it bow-tie with gimmick in mind. The intention wasn't to improve the design of the American can.

Wouldn't the bowtie shape of the can significantly reduce the can's strength? I feel like that design would really easily crumple if under some weight.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Who the hell drinks Budweiser in 2013 anyway?

Going out and ordering marco-brewed beer is our generation's leisure suit. :P

Maybe it's the St. Louisian in me, but I'll enjoy a Budweiser from time to time. Or a Bud Select. Not a big fan of any light beers, so I don't do much Bud Light.

I'm pretty into beer, and yes, I love any number of craft beers and trying as many new ones as possible.

But the craft beer trend has led to this really wide spread beer snobbery that just rubs me the wrong way. There's nothing wrong with a simple American Lager from time to time. It's often more affordable and not as heavy, and it tastes fine.

Now the can? Whatever. Seems kind of silly, but I don't really care.

The only place I can fathom drinking marco brew is at a music/sports venue where you're not likely to be sitting down somewhere long enough to enjoy a beer. Ironically, in such places it tends to be much more expensive than a bottle of decent micro brew at a bar.

Granted, part of the reason I tolerate beer snobbery is because pretty much anything that can be done to undermine Miller's influence on local politics and culture is okay by me.

AB InBev and Miller are doing everything they can to stop micro brews in Texas. Stupid laws from a previous era require that all alcohol in Texas must be sold through a distributor before going to the public. It just so turns out that one of the largest distributors is a subsidiary of Anheuser Busch. All the small breweries have to go through the distributor to be sold to the public. That is why if you go to a brewery in Texas, they can't sell you any of the beer there. Lawmakers have brought it up to do away with these laws the past couple of years, but they tend to get pushed aside every year when a vote arises. AB and Miller are doing everything they can to ensure they receive a cut of every beer sold in Texas.

Does the Miller Lite vortex bottle even do its job?

No. In fact, putting a spiral in the spout is known to have ill effects when it comes to smoothness of pouring. If you ever take a ceramics class, your instructor will probably teach you to remove the spirals from your spouts to aid in pouring. The reason a longneck bottle doesn't pour smooth is because it doesn't have a vent.

Maybe it's the St. Louisian in me, but I'll enjoy a Budweiser from time to time. Or a Bud Select. Not a big fan of any light beers, so I don't do much Bud Light.

I'm pretty into beer, and yes, I love any number of craft beers and trying as many new ones as possible.

But the craft beer trend has led to this really wide spread beer snobbery that just rubs me the wrong way. There's nothing wrong with a simple American Lager from time to time. It's often more affordable and not as heavy, and it tastes fine.

Now the can? Whatever. Seems kind of silly, but I don't really care.

Thank you for this. I'm tired of snobs turning up their noses at me. I love beer of many types, brands and styles, but it's simply not feasible, smart or fun to drink IPA and porter every day.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Do they even brew Bud in St. Louis anymore? Since AB-InBev is obsessed with cutting costs, it seems like something they'd outsource.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Am I the only person that is bugged by the fact that the "bow" in the can is straight, and the "bow-tie" on the label is italicized, meaning the two apexes don't line up?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

AB InBev and Miller are doing everything they can to stop micro brews in Texas. Stupid laws from a previous era require that all alcohol in Texas must be sold through a distributor before going to the public. It just so turns out that one of the largest distributors is a subsidiary of Anheuser Busch. All the small breweries have to go through the distributor to be sold to the public. That is why if you go to a brewery in Texas, they can't sell you any of the beer there. Lawmakers have brought it up to do away with these laws the past couple of years, but they tend to get pushed aside every year when a vote arises. AB and Miller are doing everything they can to ensure they receive a cut of every beer sold in Texas.

This reminds me of when I went to a game at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. The Club Level had a different liquor license than the main levels, so you couldn't buy a beer on the main concourse and take it to the club level or vice versa. Crazy, and something I've never seen anywhere else.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

No. In fact, putting a spiral in the spout is known to have ill effects when it comes to smoothness of pouring. If you ever take a ceramics class, your instructor will probably teach you to remove the spirals from your spouts to aid in pouring. The reason a longneck bottle doesn't pour smooth is because it doesn't have a vent.

While that is true, I don't think the "intent" was for smoothness of pouring. I think the "intent" was to open up the aromatics of Miller Lite when you drink from the bottle.

Either way, it was a stupid idea solely done for marketing purposes.

Do they even brew Bud in St. Louis anymore? Since AB-InBev is obsessed with cutting costs, it seems like something they'd outsource.

Yes. While InBev has cut costs, A-B still operates out of St. Louis in very much the same way it always has. The brewery is fully functional as always.

As an aside, one of the Busch family members, William (Billy) K. Busch started his own company a couple of years ago after the acquisition by InBev. He felt it wrong that the Busch family themselves were no longer brewing beer in St. Louis.

His goal wasn't to jump on the craft beer trend, it was to start a mass-produced American Lager. Basically a competitor with Budweiser and Bud Light. He's been very patient with the venture, obviously not expecting to compete in the near future. He's slowly building marketshare locally and expanding from there. Kräftig and Kräftig Light are both contract brewed for now, but Busch hopes to be brewing it on site in St. Louis some time in the next couple of years.

He has a lot of support around here, but he also has a lot of the snobbery to deal with. Because it's not a craft beer or even an established domestic beer, it gets ragged on pretty hard. But it's a fine beer, just as I said about Budweiser. It is distinctly different from Budweiser. I enjoy both, though.

As I said, of course I love craft beers and neither of the above mentioned are my favorites. But that doesn't mean they're bad either.

For those wondering:

zN6Tw8W.jpg

I still admire the creative genius behind this idea. But like you said, just because it's cool doesn't mean I'm going to purchase it because I know I'm being screwed.

As as employee of a beer distributor, there is solid reasoning for the existence of the 3 tiered system of distribution.

1) If Super Liquors bought directly from Budweiser and sold 5000 cases per month, their bulk buying discount and lower price to consumer would be impossible for Mom & Pop's Liquor to match. No way they could stay open, forcing Super Liquors as the only option, to raise their prices. Distributors set a price.

2) Craft Breweries do not have the infrastructure in place to distribute/market/sell their own beer.

3) Taxes

Distributors argue the system also benefits small producers. They say if direct sales were allowed, a small brewery would be at a disadvantage. Large retailers, like Costco, are used to purchasing goods in very large quantities to get the best price possible. Larger breweries would be able to undercut small brewery prices, and only macro beers would be available. Since all brewers are required to go through an independent distributor, this levels the playing field for all brewers. One distributor can get many beers into a retail store at once, since there is incentive to provide a diverse selection.

The distribution model also benefits retailers. The distributor reduces inventory costs for the retailer by managing the large portfolio of beers. This is an advantage because beer is a perishable product. The distributor makes sure the retailers are always carrying fresh beer.

As a MillerCoors house, they don't do anything to discourage my distributor from selling crafts. Craft beer is driving the market right now, not cheap domestic stuff. Nobody goes to beer dinners and sampling events to try Coors Banquet.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

I like the can, and I also like Budweiser...and beer from a can. I'm also from St. Louis, like 'STL FANATIC', which probably attributes to that.

Beer from a can gets colder A LOT faster than bottles. I like bottles, but cans are fine for certain things. Plus, they don't fill the trash can as fast when you're having a party.

I like all kinds of beers except for summer beers, because if I want an orange juice, I'll buy it instead of beer. Like others have said, it's hard on the wallet AND the stomach to drink craft beers all the time. A cold Bud diesel on a hot day is pretty hard to beat. And seriously, if you have an ounce of personality, the broads at the bar will like you just as much if you approach them while drinking a Bud as they would if you were drinking a limited brew Marzen. Stop being so pretentious. :D

And Budweiser(full flavor only) HAS to resort to some kind of gimmick, they are treating water badly

FTFY?

Anyway, I'm sure this will be a big hit in Cincinnati.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

While that is true, I don't think the "intent" was for smoothness of pouring. I think the "intent" was to open up the aromatics of Miller Lite when you drink from the bottle.

Either way, it was a stupid idea solely done for marketing purposes.

Aromatics? We're still talking about Miller Lite, no? :P

I like the can, and I also like Budweiser...and beer from a can. I'm also from St. Louis, like 'STL FANATIC', which probably attributes to that.

Beer from a can gets colder A LOT faster than bottles. I like bottles, but cans are fine for certain things. Plus, they don't fill the trash can as fast when you're having a party.

I like all kinds of beers except for summer beers, because if I want an orange juice, I'll buy it instead of beer. Like others have said, it's hard on the wallet AND the stomach to drink craft beers all the time. A cold Bud diesel on a hot day is pretty hard to beat. And seriously, if you have an ounce of personality, the broads at the bar will like you just as much if you approach them while drinking a Bud as they would if you were drinking a limited brew Marzen. Stop being so pretentious. :D

The best summer beers aren't the orangey ones. A crisp, clean true Pilsner is second to none.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived