New Jaguars Uniforms

PaleVermilion81

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BIjeqVLCMAAdijg.jpg

Jagshelmetconcept2_zps0cc6b5d8.jpg

Sorry...I just had to. Don't want to turn this thread into "Lets fix the helmet brigade!" But I just had to try to see what it could have been

The two tone just doesn't work here. Only instances it has worked San Diego state and Arkansas only because its fading into black at the end and not sharing half a helmet. Stupid concept. If the world football league, xfl, arena didn't do it then that should tell you to stay away!!

I think it could work if the gold was more mustard and darker like the old Pitt Panthers helmet. But then it would look like a mustard stained helmet. When there is too much of a contrast between colors then two toned helmets don't work.

So I guess in the end you are right...it just doesn't work here no matter how you cut it.

BIjeqVLCMAAdijg.jpg

Jagshelmetconcept2_zps0cc6b5d8.jpg

Sorry...I just had to. Don't want to turn this thread into "Lets fix the helmet brigade!" But I just had to try to see what it could have been

The two tone just doesn't work here. Only instances it has worked San Diego state and Arkansas only because its fading into black at the end and not sharing half a helmet. Stupid concept. If the world football league, xfl, arena didn't do it then that should tell you to stay away!!

If they were set on using the gradient, I'd almost rather they simply left the logo decal off. Hard edge logo over smooth gradient simple isn't working.

At what point, aesthetically, did we give up the idea of design that worked, and start focusing in on things that gave shock value, pushed the envelope too far, and ultimately, only produce stuff for people to talk about?

I feel like sports aesthetics has essentially turned into Jersey Shore / TLC / My Crazy Obsession / Reality TV. It's mind boggling.

When did we forget about balance, good design, restraint (ie not just doing something because you can), subtlety, dressing like professionals, trying to design a timeless uniform on the first shot? (fully aware of who my favorite team is and the ridiculous uniforms they wear).

You guys are both spot on. Every time something like this comes out, I weep for this industry, and society as a whole. It's disposable, wasteful, cheap, phony, pandering design. People don't even realize they're being made into fools by marketers and creative directors.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

At what point, aesthetically, did we give up the idea of design that worked, and start focusing in on things that gave shock value, pushed the envelope too far, and ultimately, only produce stuff for people to talk about?

I feel like sports aesthetics has essentially turned into Jersey Shore / TLC / My Crazy Obsession / Reality TV. It's mind boggling.

When did we forget about balance, good design, restraint (ie not just doing something because you can), subtlety, dressing like professionals, trying to design a timeless uniform on the first shot? (fully aware of who my favorite team is and the ridiculous uniforms they wear).

You guys are both spot on. Every time something like this comes out, I weep for this industry, and society as a whole. It's disposable, wasteful, cheap, phony, pandering design. People don't even realize they're being made into fools by marketers and creative directors.

Paul Lukas echoes many of these sentiments in his review. For those who haven't yet read it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/21215/uni-watch-analysis-new-jaguars-uniforms

I have to admit that he makes a great point about the color gradient on the helmet being "backwards". If the jaguar "hunts from the shadows" then why make the black gradient start in the front???

Archived