New Jaguars Uniforms

PaleVermilion81

934056_10151491718993863_2002539669_n.jpg

It's pretty amazing how these absolutely get worse every time a new image of them shows up.

I think it's pretty amazing how unanimously disliked these are. Even the nike apologists and normal contrarians hate them. On the message boards where opinions can vary so much it's incredible that one element is so universally panned.

If this was rottentomatoes.com, these helmets would have a 1% rating.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That helmet is grounds enough to fire everyone ever associated with this team. It would most certainly be enough to make me a non-fan. I couldn't watch them play in that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm just waiting for other teams to copy it or even go one step further.

At least the actual painting of the helmet is done professionally for the jaguars. When amateur teams here in England try to replicate it at home using spray paint from a DIY store, that is when I will go on a killing spree.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

You know...

I've always been a Nike apologist and love the modern/edgy designs. (especially most things Oregon trots out)...

But this? haha

Before this unveiling, I wanted Nike to give the Titans a makeover so badly. Now? I pray that they don't come near my team's uniforms/helmet. I hate the Titans helmet more than anything... except the Jags helmet.

Though I will say... A Jaguar going in to the shadows makes more sense for this franchise. Maybe they should have designed an element that symbolized a Jaguar moving to Los Angeles.

That helmet is bad.

I bet the marketing team would be like "It makes people take notice!" but they have to realize we're taking notice because you look like absolute clowns in that helmet. It seriously looks like Madden glitched and put out the wrong texture for one half of the helmet.

bSLCtu2.png

I was a teenager when the Bengals helmet was released, so I remember a bit of the uproar, and I think it's wrong to compare it to the complaints that this pile of dung is getting. There are a number of big differences. First, in the early 80's, there was no interwebs, no message boards, and just barely any ESPN. The talk about the Bengals' striped helmet came from your local TV sports guy, who was trying to be funny in his little 5 minute segment... show a quick image, drop a "can you believe this?" type line, and move on to the hockey scores. Other than that, it was face to face conversations, which as we all know, are quite a bit different than on line postings. Second, at that time there wasn't even close to the creative explosion of ideas (for good or bad) we have now. Back then, almost every helmet was stripes on top, logo on the side. The Bengals' new design jumped out like nothing before. But today, we are seeing crazy new "innovations" all the time. College football as dropped dozens of stupid designs on us to the point it's a bit numbing... and still, this new Jags helmets stands out as truly horrible. That's quite a feat.

The Bengals' helmet is about to turn 32 and it still looks great. The Jaguars' helmet won't finish the decade. That's the important difference.

And supporting your argument with "the youths love it" only proves it's an ugly piece of s***. When have young people ever been known for having a good taste? The answer is never. On top of that, the youth aren't buying your season tickets, and in Jacksonville, catering to your ticket base is kinda important.

I'm kinda offended here. I'm considered to be in the "youth" category (I'm 18) and I can't stand that helmet. It looks like someone barfed tar on a gold helmet, and it doesn't work at all with their uniforms. In fact, my favourite helmet design in the entire league is a toss-up between the Eagles and Browns for me. Two classic designs that will last till the end of time.

sport-scarf_leafs_zps5f769288.png

seahawks_banner.png

I'm 18 and don't feel offended at all, most people this age have awful taste in most things, uniforms no exception.

Then again I don't know which age group he's talking about, when I was 9-10 I thought the falcons had the best uniforms in the league... *throws up*

Thankfully I've come around.

To those saying these won't make it until the regular season... really? I think it's a virtual certainty these make it through at least one season (sadly). It would be so embarrassing for the Jaguars and, more importantly, Nike to reverse course after such a big unveiling. I know the helmets aren't by Nike per se, but Nike is the brand tied to the whole uniform set.

I would expect them to either stubbornly stick with them for a few years or quietly try to kill them off after the 2013 season.

Yeah, sadly most people have terrible taste when they're young. I preferred classic aesthetics even back in high school, but I was clearly in the minority. One of my best friends on my high school hockey team wouldn't shut up about how "awesome" we'd look if we had black and neon green sweaters, even though our colours were red, white, and grey.

I'm waiting for the complaints to come from their QBs that they couldn't tell who they were throwing too due to the differing helmet colors - especially when they play a team with either black or gold helmets. It will be like the Bills helmet color change from white to red all over again.

It's where I sit.

Yeah, sadly most people have terrible taste when they're young. I preferred classic aesthetics even back in high school, but I was clearly in the minority. One of my best friends on my high school hockey team wouldn't shut up about how "awesome" we'd look if we had black and neon green sweaters, even though our colours were red, white, and grey.

and that's really what I meant. Kids as a whole have terrible taste in clothes, books, music, design etc because they don't know any better. So the argument that "the young people on twitter love the Jaguars helmets" is actually a ringing endorsement of how terrible it is.

Those of us here are probably odd birds when it comes to uni preferences at a young age. My high school hockey team's colors were green and gold and it bothered me to no end that we wore black pants without any black in the rest of the uniform (even our helmets were dark green). When I mentioned that we should wear green shells for our breezers I was ridiculed for suggesting that "we'd look like a bunch of skating bushes". Every time I see the Minnesota Wild or Bemidji State or any other green-pantsed hockey team it reminds me and I know I was right.

PvO6ZWJ.png

One of my best friends on my high school hockey team wouldn't shut up about how "awesome" we'd look if we had black and neon green sweaters, even though our colours were red, white, and grey.

So, what was dennisbergan like in high school, anyway?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

One of my best friends on my high school hockey team wouldn't shut up about how "awesome" we'd look if we had black and neon green sweaters, even though our colours were red, white, and grey.

So, what was dennisbergan like in high school, anyway?

Couldn't spell then either.

I was a teenager when the Bengals helmet was released, so I remember a bit of the uproar, and I think it's wrong to compare it to the complaints that this pile of dung is getting. There are a number of big differences. First, in the early 80's, there was no interwebs, no message boards, and just barely any ESPN. The talk about the Bengals' striped helmet came from your local TV sports guy, who was trying to be funny in his little 5 minute segment... show a quick image, drop a "can you believe this?" type line, and move on to the hockey scores. Other than that, it was face to face conversations, which as we all know, are quite a bit different than on line postings. Second, at that time there wasn't even close to the creative explosion of ideas (for good or bad) we have now. Back then, almost every helmet was stripes on top, logo on the side. The Bengals' new design jumped out like nothing before. But today, we are seeing crazy new "innovations" all the time. College football as dropped dozens of stupid designs on us to the point it's a bit numbing... and still, this new Jags helmets stands out as truly horrible. That's quite a feat.

I don't think the bengals helmet is a good analogy at all to describe the current train wreck. Jax picked an amateurish 2 tone paint job and slapped a logo decal on the side. Nothing cutting edge about that just a horrible mashup of styles on a single helmet.

If you put the bengals in a historical context their design was not really new/modern or cutting edge as there were several teams that incorporated aspects of the mascot into the entire helmet.

Examples:

• Rams (the original helmet decoration)
  • Vikings
  • Eagles

While the bengals design may have been a tad more loud because it mimicked an animal print there clearly was precedent for such a design.

Archived