2013 NBA Playoffs

JMurr

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Jason Kidd(!) will be the Nets' new head coach. According to Woj, they're ironing out a contract and agreeing on a staff. I'm surprised at how much I like this idea for the Nets - if any player could make the leap to head coach this fast and pull it off, it'd be someone like Kidd.

IIRC, Don Nelson is the only other HC who went from a player to HC in one off-season. It should also be noted that both Doc Rivers and Mark Jackson never spent time as an assistant (or front office) when they were hired by Orlando and Golden State respectively, just seasons working on TV.

Larry Brown?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Looks like Jason Kidd(!) will be the Nets' new head coach. According to Woj, they're ironing out a contract and agreeing on a staff. I'm surprised at how much I like this idea for the Nets - if any player could make the leap to head coach this fast and pull it off, it'd be someone like Kidd.

IIRC, Don Nelson is the only other HC who went from a player to HC in one off-season. It should also be noted that both Doc Rivers and Mark Jackson never spent time as an assistant (or front office) when they were hired by Orlando and Golden State respectively, just seasons working on TV.

Larry Brown?

Larry never played a game in the NBA. But, Larry took a college gig first, but he began his roaming punk ass by taking the ABA gig before coaching at Davidson.

LeBron's started off 6-for-7 with 13 points. Can we put the "choker" label to rest now?

I did a search of "LeBron" and "choker," and exactly one person has called him that: Tank, once, a year ago. The results are illuminating-- you've upset about a label no one's actually using for two years.

EDIT: You can't actually link to search results. Bummer.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

LeBron's started off 6-for-7 with 13 points. Can we put the "choker" label to rest now?

I did a search of "LeBron" and "choker," and exactly one person has called him that: Tank, once, a year ago. The results are illuminating-- you've upset about a label no one's actually using for two years.

I didn't say people on here specifically were calling him that, just NBA fans in general.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Has there ever been a series that every game has been a blowout... for a different team?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Has there ever been a series that every game has been a blowout... for a different team?

Probably the closest I can think of was 2005, where both the Spurs and Pistons won their first two home games, each in humiliating routes, San Antonio in Games 1 and 2, and Detroit in 3 and 4.

Then came "Big Shot Bob" in Game 5, Detroit winning the close Game 6 on the road, and finally, the Spurs putting Detroit away for good in Game 7, all under the song, "This Is How a Heart Breaks" playing on ABC.

Regardless of Game 5, the Heat aren't losing two home games in this series.

You probably said the same thing entering Game 5 in 2011. I mean, they're the freaking Spurs. There's no way in hell a Poppovich-coached team can be that scared of just submitting themselves in Miami, whether they're up or down 3-2 in the series after Sunday night.

If there's any team capable of beating Miami on its floor, my money is still on these Spurs. That being said, I'm interested in seeing how Game 5 turns out.

The only way I concede this series after Sunday is if Miami wins the next game in a blowout. Even if it's a close loss for the Spurs, I still like their chances of stealing the last two games in South Florida.

You're right, I did say that.

Call me cynical. I always expect the Heat to win when they hold HCA in a given series.

So that makes the 2011 Mavericks victory an "upset" in your books?

And isn't it interesting how in their three overall trips to the NBA Finals, the Miami Heat won both of their titles without needing HCA to start the series (2006, 2012), but lost the series in the year they did have it (2011)?

Something to think about.

There was that 7 game first round series in 2009 between the Hawks and Heat where there was no game that was single digits.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

You're right, I did say that.

Call me cynical. I always expect the Heat to win when they hold HCA in a given series.

So that makes the 2011 Mavericks victory an "upset" in your books?

And isn't it interesting how in their three overall trips to the NBA Finals, the Miami Heat won both of their titles without needing HCA to start the series (2006, 2012), but lost the series in the year they did have it (2011)?

Something to think about.

Absolutely. I had no expectation of Dallas winning that series and, truthfully, the only reason they really did was because they were insanely hot from distance that entire postseason.

Look, the way I perceive it is that Miami is only, at best, likely to drop one home game in any playoff series. They already dropped their's here. I just can't see them letting 2011 repeat itself in the event of a Game 6 where the Spurs lead 3-2 in the series. If it does happen, I'll be the happiest person around.

spacer.png

I'm really trying to get into this series, but these 20+ point blowouts are really killing it for me. Outside of Game 1, each game has been well before the 4th quarter even begins. Neither team really playing like a championship team who's been there before.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived