Browns owners caught in fraud scandal

panthers_2012

I don't know Pilot, but from what I'm reading about it, this stuff just didn't come out of nowhere. It had been brewing for the last decade.

The NFL had to know this could be a potential issue down the road when they accepted his bid and just didn't care, or were just really naive in thinking it would never be a problem.

I'd be surprised if anything comes of it. The country as a whole could give two craps about going after companies with monopoly power because apparently that's anti-capitalism now or big government getting in the way of the free market and its not something the justice department likes going after either, so rarely if ever does it actually get enforced. They'll probably settle out of court for a good sum of money. The justice department gets to say they did something about it and Pilot will be allowed to continue business as usual, so everyone wins that's directly involved in the case.

I heard on our local radio station, WKNR, stating their opinion that the NFL might ask Haslam to step aside from the Browns until the investigation is done. I would call this "The 'Why can't the Browns have anything good go their way'".

Nevermind. The NFL came out and said that they will not have Haslam step away from the Browns.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

I heard on our local radio station, WKNR, stating their opinion that the NFL might ask Haslam to step aside from the Browns until the investigation is done. I would call this "The 'Why can't the Browns have anything good go their way'".

Nevermind. The NFL came out and said that they will not have Haslam step away from the Browns.

OITGDNFL?

Haslam is going to make a "significant" announcment at 3 today. Here's the link.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/04/cleveland_browns_owner_jimmy_h_4.html#incart_m-rpt-2

More details on story at cleveland.com

I'm pretty sure all that was announced was that he was personally calling the trucking company to "make things right." I dont think there was actually anything concerning him stepping down.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Now the Browns could be in trouble....

http://www.yardbarke...e_feds/13517771

Will it ever end?

Unless we see a legitimate news source on this, I suggest we take it with a large grain of salt.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Regardless of whether or not the story is/was true, under the hypothetical assumption that it was, that would be 2 major pro sports teams being funded at least in part by governments on different levels. OITGDNFL stands.

I'm not sure the Feds could take the actual team. Pretty sure under NFL by laws the league controls the name and history, the City of Cleveland owns the stadium. Haslam owns a license from the league, which is one large organization with thirty-two franchises, not thirty-two separate companies. That was the NFL's strategy in the cap-license monopoly suit a couple years back, and they won on those merits.

Now, the Feds could probably force a sale of that license, and take the proceeds, but I'm not convinced they can seize the team itself.

There has now been a 4th lawsuit filed against Pilot Flying J, claiming 10s of millions of dollars.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived