"Hate the font"

CitizenTino

Almost inevitably, one of the first criticisms I see for new uniforms - whether it's college or pro - is that the proprietary font for the numbers is terrible. Proprietary fonts are going to be polarizing by nature, if only because they aren't something we're used to seeing (which is kinda the point of using them, but alas...).

So, my question: Is there a proprietary font in use now (especially one that has been unveiled within the past 5 years) that you like?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon Ducks. Not a super fan of the uniforms overall, but the "Belotti Bold" font (named after former-former Coach Mike Belotti) is a cool font. The number font is a variant of that.

Local businesses and politicians use it as a way of "playing to the base."

smithfont.jpg

4359991.png?681

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The ones done for Army and especially Navy are pretty good, mostly because they're authentic and not overdone like so many of these others are. I think the one UCLA wears is unique, but still pretty classic, functional and non-intrusive.

ArmyFootball.jpg

Fa12_AT_NAVY_gloves_layered_0690.tif_original-e1354812577216.jpg

navy-nike-2011-football-uniforms-and-cleats-18.jpg

hi-res-156595905_crop_650x440.jpg?1353972157

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

To this day my favorite one is (well, was) the '98-'08 Jacksonville Jaguars font. So well designed, even evoked a slight cat-like vibe, and was still classy all the same. I also liked the Gill Sans-ish complementary font (the name plates).

marbrunsigja.jpg

I may be the only one, but my other and current favorite NFL proprietary font belongs to the Baltimore Ravens. I don't have a good reason...I've just always liked it.

In the NBA, I give the nod to the Detroit Pistons. The one good thing to come from their short-lived teal phase was their current font. In MLB (yeah I said it), it's the Pirates...but up until they abandoned it, my favorite was the Motre Bameness:

1402315_display_image.jpg

Can't say I have a favorite NHL one now, but I did used to have two—the Picasso-era Phoenix Coyotes...

72481489_display_image_zpsd890aecb.jpg

...and the Bondra/Juneau/Kolzig-era Washington Capitals...always liked how it sorta resembled the font seen on our paper currency.

367929988_59e6a9014f.jpg

Over in the collegiate ranks, I give it to UConn and, up until yesterday, West Virginia.

4921586.jpg

4861870.jpg

Of course, UCLA's old to Clarendon-esque font is a classic (that they need to go back to on a permanent basis, IMO). However, there is one other one that I've been hooked on ever since I first saw it, and since then has also quickly become another favorite, not just collegiate, but overall:

Saint-Marys3_zps08441ad7.jpg

omar-samhan_zps2789a9c9.jpg

Something about it is just so distinct and unique...same as with all my other favorites (outside of the Armada-esque UConn font—I just like that style a whole lot). And, unlike so many proprietary fonts coming out today, they actually look like they belong to a real typeface...not just some hackneyed "square a corner here, snip a corner there, add a slash or a cut here, round this edge and-PRESTO!" character set, like much of what I've been seeing lately. (Probably no big surprise Kurt Osaki had a hand in two of these identities...always loved that guy's work.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For me, its not that I hate them because they are proprietary fonts. I hate them because they simply aren't visually appealing fonts. For me whether or not they are proprietary is a non-issue. There are plenty of good proprietary fonts used in sports. But it seems a lot of these new fonts have numbers that just look ugly and awkward in my opinion (always the number 3, too).

For me, its not that I hate them because they are proprietary fonts. I hate them because they simply aren't visually appealing fonts. For me whether or not they are proprietary is a non-issue.

Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it.

Personally, I don't like fonts with uneven line weights. They look flimsy and unbalanced to me. So the Cubs' and Bears' fonts are good in my eyes, whereas the Eagles' and Patriots' fonts look goofy.

chi_g_brianuts_576.jpg

philadelphia-eagles-vs-minnesota-vikings-12d10788d5caadce.jpg

Brady-FTW-new-england-patriots-32045229-960-641.jpg

The ones done for Army and especially Navy are pretty good, mostly because they're authentic and not overdone like so many of these others are. I think the one UCLA wears is unique, but still pretty classic, functional and non-intrusive.

ArmyFootball.jpg

Four great examples of what I'm talking about.

FWIW, although I'm usually considered a traditionalist, I've long wanted my Packers to adopt that Army font.

For me, its not that I hate them because they are proprietary fonts. I hate them because they simply aren't visually appealing fonts. For me whether or not they are proprietary is a non-issue.

Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it.

Personally, I don't like fonts with uneven line weights. They look flimsy and unbalanced to me. So the Cubs' and Bears' fonts are good in my eyes, whereas the Eagles' and Patriots' fonts look goofy.

chi_g_brianuts_576.jpg

philadelphia-eagles-vs-minnesota-vikings-12d10788d5caadce.jpg

Brady-FTW-new-england-patriots-32045229-960-641.jpg

ArmyFootball.jpg

Four great examples.

UCLA is just standard block and Navy is just a squished block with a drop shadow.

there's lots that i like. some good ones already posted. Army, Navys 2, Reds. one of my favorites from the past few years is Minnesota's number font. it's not all that great of a typeface, but i love these numbers

01-20%2004%20Gopher%20Uniforms%20mj.JPG

Those and MSU's have grown on me considerably in the past year. They've got a lot of character without being forced (unlike WVU).

I agree with Andy's, too. Those 4 are great.

Archived