2013 NFL Draft

CS85

Well I'm very pleased with most of the experts agreeing that my favorite college player (Tyler Eifert) will be coming to da bears!

I'm really interested in the aftermath though, after next season. I'm really excited to see where Barkley will end up, I believe he will be the best long term QB available, and this is coming from an ND super fan.

Good luck to all your teams gentlemen, and BEAR DOWN!

spacer.png

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated my original mock [/nobodycares]. Signs pointing to the Browns trading up to get Ansah. Other trades I envision:

Browns/Raiders (3 & 6)

49ers/Jets (13 & 31)

Falcons/Bears (20 & 30)

Bucs/Vikings (25 & ??)

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Updated my original mock [/nobodycares]. Signs pointing to the Browns trading up to get Ansah. Other trades I envision:

Browns/Raiders (3 & 6)

49ers/Jets (13 & 31)

Falcons/Bears (20 & 30)

Bucs/Vikings (25 & ??)

The only hiccup I saw from your draft is that Chance Warmack doesn't appear in the first round. I may have overlooked but I didn't see him.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Draft_2013_250.jpg

I know we have the NFL Off-Season thread, but damnit - the draft is a big deal and I feel like it deserves it's own thread.

I love the draft, and despite it no longer occurring during the daytime it's still a boatload of fun. I'm curious to hear your predictions for your team and discuss your opinion of the picks once their made.

I'd also like to get some mock drafts from the community, but let's put them in spoilers as to not clutter up the page.

Here's my mock, thoughts after the spoilers:

1. Kansas City: Luke Joeckel, OT

Chiefs are close to trading Albert to either Miami or Arizona (probably Miami), and it seems like they have their choice between Fisher and Joeckel. Rumors all point to Joeckel.

2. Jacksonville: Eric Fisher, OT

One of the hardest picks to ever predict in all the years I've been doing this, and ultimately it comes down to Geno Smith and the remaining QB class not being good enough for this selection. I think they Do As The Chiefs and take the 1B player in Fisher to bolster the line until a better QB class circulates in future drafts.

3. Cleveland (f/OAK): Ziggy Ansah, DE

Read enough of this for it to become instilled in my brain. Ansah's flown up charts ever since he destroyed souls in the Senior Bowl and the Browns don't want to take any chances. There's been a lot of smoke about them trading down, but I don't buy it. The Raiders are a willing partner, plus the Browns could acquire Davone Bess from Miami, making their draft day(s) an on-paper success.

4. Philadelphia: Lane Johnson, OT

The Eagles could go in any variety of ways here, but there's simply too much top-end talent at tackle available with this pick. Johnson is the most logical player to go here, but in this draft with this new coach, who knows.

5. Detroit: Dee Milliner, CB

You gotta think the Lions would love to move down from this pick, but beggars can't be choosers. They have a need at cornerback and a high-impact player at their disposal to select. Why pass?

6. Oakland (f/CLE): Shariff Floyd, DT

The Raiders assured the Browns Ansah in the hopes that Floyd would be there at 6, and their gamble pays off handsomely.

7. Arizona: Dion Jordan, LB

Fluker is still on the board for the Cardinals, but I believe they can't walk away from Jordan.

8. Buffalo: Ryan Nassib, QB

I've waffled on this pick endlessly, but there's simply too much reinforcement to the Bills not dicking around here. Team Syracuse was put together in Buffalo and there's no way they pass on their boy.

9. New York Jets: Geno Smith, QB

The Jets are trying to move down but I'm guessing they'd want to use this pick to justify trading Revis. It's an impossibility that the Jets go into camp with the same 3 turds at QB as last season. Smith's cocky attitude makes a perfect fit with Rex Ryan's team; a team desperate for an injection of personality.

10. Tennessee: Barkevious Mingo, LB/DE

Titans could arguably snatch Jonathan Cooper here, but Mingo's too good to deny. Could work wonders in the 3-4 pass rush department.

11. San Diego: DJ Fluker, OT

The Chargers avoid having to trade up to get an offensive tackle.

12. Miami: Tavon Austin, WR

The 'phins should acquire T Branden Albert from KC prior to the draft. That combined with their efforts at moving Bess should result in them happily taking Tavon Austin here.

13. San Francisco (f/NYJ): Star Lotulelei

The 49ers have simply too much firepower in their coffers to simply stand pat, waiting for crumbs. The Jets are advertising one/both of their 1st round picks and with Lotulelei available, the 49ers don't :censored: around.

14. Carolina: Sheldon Richardson, DT

Ron Rivera's defense finally gets the lug in the middle they've been missing, but who knows if it's enough to give this team that final push.

15. New Orleans: Alec Ogletree, LB

Ogletree's moved past Jones in a lot of 11th hour mocks, and while he's not exactly ideal for the 3-4, his mobility and ferocity gives him the edge over his Georgia teammate.

16. St. Louis: Kenny Vacarro, S

The Rams sit beautifully in the first round, right in the butterzone of viable options to fill team needs. Vacarro is a powerful safety specimen, and you gotta think Jeff Fisher can't decline that.

17. Pittsburgh: Jarvis Jones, LB

The Steelers and Jones have both made it pretty clear they're both high on each other.

18. Dallas: Jonathan Cooper, OG

Considering they just invested a boatload of money in their quarterback, you've gotta think they'll use the 18th pick to ensure Romo's health.

19. New York Giants: Tyler Eifert, TE

Bears fans around the web scream "CRAP," and the Giants gain a weapon on offense, ironically replacing the guy they lost to Chicago, Martellus Bennett.

20. Atlanta (f/CHI): Xavier Rhodes, CB

The Atlanta-Emery connection is too tangible to dismiss, plus the Falcons lust after one of the top corners.

21. Cincinnati: Jonathan Cyprien, S

The Bengals and Cyprien seem to be an ideal fit, and some light research appears to validate the Bengals desire in him.

22. St. Louis: Justin Hunter, WR

The Rams sleep a lot easier tonight with both a potential starting safety AND receiver in their clutches.

23. Minnesota: Cornellius Carradine, DE

Time for your Late 1st Round Defensive End Rush™! The Vikings have taken a hard look at Carradine, and like what they see.

24. Indianapolis: Bjoern Werner, DE

The Colts would ideally trade back to potentially land a Werner or Jones, but Werner's here. Might as well roll with it.

25. Tampa Bay (f/MIN): Datone Jones, DE

Lot of rumors that the Bucs want back into the 1st that conveniently fit with rumors of the Vikings trading down. Datone Jones is a solid end that gives their pass rush a shot in the arm.

26. Green Bay: Sylvester Williams, DT

The Packers get a very good defensive tackle in an Aaron Rodgers-like turn of events. The bastards.

27. Houston: Desmond Trufant, CB

Texans could go any numbers of ways here, but their two starting cornerbacks are nobodies.

28. Denver: Matt Barkley, QB

Peyton's only got so much time left, and the Broncos want to make a smooth transition to their heir apparent once #18 calls it quits. Peyton's all too familiar with this situation....

29. New England: DJ Hayden, CB

Patriots are impossible to predict, so I had them draft a corner here, because screw it.

30. Chicago (f/ATL): Justin Pugh, OG

On a team that has questions at every offensive line position, it's wise to draft a player who can play every offensive line position. The team worked him out recently, and despite Arthur Brown being on the board, this just feels like an Emery pick.

31. New York Jets (f/SF): Cordarelle Patterson, WR

The Jets have their QB and now need some weapons to put around him. Makes sense.

32. Baltimore: Eric Reid, S

Ed Reed gone? Replace him with Eric Reid! The guy's on-field traits just reek of Raven-esque. It was meant to be.

I think it's pretty evident that Kansas City will deal Albert to Miami, but they'll have to settle for the Dolphins second rounders. This would make taking a tackle be the obvious choice, and I think Joeckel's the better option than Fisher.

The one thing that is interesting about this draft, IMHO, is that the talent pool of the first round is relatively balanced across every position. Guys could go at 5 or 15 or 25 and it would feel about right, which leads me to assume that most teams will be drafting by need.

just dont see Barkley going to Denver. Did they not just draft Osweiler last year to be groomed as Manning's successor?

I swear every mock has the Falcons taking someone else. I have no clue who they're going to draft. Or if TD is going to trade up. Or trade down. Honestly, nothing they do will surprise me at this point.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I'm hearing the Chiefs have been contacted about trading out of the #1 spot. Also hearing they're almost guaranteed to take Fisher over Joeckel at #1 if they stay put.

Thank you for paraphrasing Jay Glazer from last night.

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer 18h

Chiefs are still fielding calls about top pick but if they don't trade it, again, I believe Fisher will be the guy

I think I am going to be more interested in how effective Jason LaCanfora (CBS) is in tweeting out selections before they occur on TV since NFLN and ESPN have pledged not have their staffs tip picks via Twitter.

Hours after I finished my...3rd mock or whatever there's been tons of last minute reports and speculation and glaring holes in mine.

To hell with it!

I'm hearing that the Vikings are trying to trade up ahead of the 20th pick to land Te'o before the Bears.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I honestly don't think any of the QBs in this years draft are worth taking in the top 10. Crazy to think since last years class was stacked.

I can see Philadelphia taking Smith and maybe Buffalo land Barkley?

I wasn't aware people actually listened to anything Jay Glazer said. O_o Chubby guys who wish they were MMA goons should always be disregarded as quickly as possible.

Anywho, I got it from my NFL and ESPN apps. So there. :-)

Sigs are for sissies.

I find it ridiculous to that more of these teams in dire quarterbacking straights haven't taken the Arizona Cardinals "Let's trade for some disgruntled vet with a big arm and wait for Johnny Football" approach. I don't see ANY of these young guys outperforming Palmer this year, and none of them are on par with the likes of Manziel and Bridgewater. I guess they'd rather placate the fan base than make a sound football decision.

Sigs are for sissies.

Hours after I finished my...3rd mock or whatever there's been tons of last minute reports and speculation and glaring holes in mine.

That's why I never do mocks (or anything past 10 anyway). They're all pointless and outdated a few days later.

Now there's all kinds of really weird crap being thrown out there today. Cleveland leapfrogging Philly for Mingo or Geno?! Oakland taking DJ Hayden #3 overall?! What the hell...

That's why I never do mocks (or anything past 10 anyway). They're all pointless and outdated a few days later.

Now there's all kinds of really weird crap being thrown out there today. Cleveland leapfrogging Philly for Mingo or Geno?! Oakland taking DJ Hayden #3 overall?! What the hell...

Mike Lombardi is an awful GM but was part of the media, so he knows how to spread rumors. Geno Smith isn't a top 10 QB in my opinion but will probably end up in Philadelphia. The real rumors don't start to gain ground until about an hour before the first pick. Usually everyting before that is just smokescreen.

Here's the teams that are rumored to be trading down, in order of likelihood:

• Oakland
  • Cleveland
  • Detroit
  • Chicago
  • Buffalo
  • Arizona*
  • Dallas*
  • New York Jets
  • Baltimore*
  • Indianapolis
  • Green Bay

Here are the teams rumored to want to trade up, in order of likelihood (desired position in parentheses):

• Atlanta (TE, CB, DT)
  • Arizona* (OT, OG)
  • San Francisco (DT)
  • Baltimore* (OT)
  • Dallas* (?!)
  • Minnesota (WR, TE)

* - denotes mixed reports

Obviously there's a lot of teams that are contemplating moving all over the goddamn place, which in most drafts would feel like smokescreen-after-smokescreen, but because this is a relatively bottom-heavy talent pool, there's meat on the bone of speculation.

The following is a post-Jimmy Johnson draft era summary in terms of drafts. Jerry loves to make draft day trades and as with Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett, there is little to show for it. In the last five years, playoff teams average drafting three players within the Top 100 picks which the Cowboys barely average two.

Archived