Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

Here's some OITGDNHL: There are 6 games scheduled on May 12 and if the East series go the distance, games 6 and 7 will be back to back days.

Montreal and Ottawa get to wait till Thursday to start their series and then get to play again on Friday. I hope this is because the arena is booked and not cause of TV.

1zqy8ok.gif

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some OITGDNHL: There are 6 games scheduled on May 12 and if the East series go the distance, games 6 and 7 will be back to back days.

Montreal and Ottawa get to wait till Thursday to start their series and then get to play again on Friday. I hope this is because the arena is booked and not cause of TV.

Rihanna is at the Bell Centre on Wednesday. They actually bumped Marie-Mai's show from Friday since she was scheduled to be there Friday through Sunday.

I think they're not starting on Tuesday because the Sens played yesterday, to allow them to rest a bit.

Scheduling sucks though: Thursday, Friday then Sunday? No Habs game on a Saturday night during playoffs? That sucks.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Chicago, Minnesota - CHI in 5

Anaheim, Detroit - ANA in 5 (why is this so difficult?)

Vancouver, San Jose - VAN in 6 (San Jose takes advantage of a season of lucky breaks to win 2 vs. Vancouver)

St. Louis, Los Angeles - LA in 7 (LA wins Game 7 in St. Louis in OT)

Pittsburgh, NY Islanders - PIT in 4 (Winnipeg would have given PIT a better series)

Montreal, Ottawa - MTL in 6 (close series, Ottawa loses at home in Game 6)

Washington, NY Rangers - NYR in 7

Boston, Toronto - TOR in 7 (BOS is just too tired to play the underappreciated Maple Leafs, but go far in the series)

Conf Semis:

Chicago, Los Angeles, CHI in 6

Anaheim, Vancouver, ANA in 7

Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, PIT in 5

Montreal, Toronto, MTL in 7 (Best series of the season)

Conf Finals

Chicago, Anaheim, CHI in 6 (Chicago is that good)

Pittsburgh, Montreal, PIT in 5 (MTL has no experience in the playoffs, or in Pittsburgh)

Stanley Cup Final

Chicago, Pittsburgh, PIT in 7 (Pittsburgh lets one get away late in the series, but then whoop Chicago in Chicago in Game 7)

For those who love historical anecdotes that mean nothing in reality, the Penguins and Isles have met in the playoffs three times, losing each time. Two of those times have been massive disappointments for Pittsburgh. Whether it be one of the few times a team came back from being down three-games-to-none, or the eerily-similar-to-the-present scenario 20 years ago when the best Penguins team in history faced a scrappy underdog Islanders team and lost in seven games after blowing the elimination game three times in a row. Now the Isles face the best Penguins team since 1993, setting up yet another huge upset.

But my typical pre-playoffs excitement and boldness cause me to predict that history will not repeat itself, but it may come close to doing so. The Isles seem to really hate the Penguins and always bring their best game against them. The disparity in skill and experience will get them in the end, but they'll keep themselves in it as long as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes six.

Unlike the title of this thread, it is the underdogs I fear this year.

oBIgzrL.png

That meeting in 1993 - I'm relatively certain those scrappy underdogs did that after Dale Hunter wrecked Pierre Turgeon, correct?

That was the year Mario got cancer, missed only 22 games (or so), came back like a house on fire, took the Art Ross away from Pat LaFontaine, running away with it, and, oh, the Penguins won 17 straight games. All of this as the two-time defending champions, too.

So, yeah, it might be an understatement to call that one a massive disappointment.

spacer.png

01) Penguins vs 08) NY Islanders (in 5)

02) Montreal Canadiens vs 07) Ottawa Senators (in 7)

03) Washington Capitals vs 06) NY Rangers (in 6)

04) Boston Bruins vs 05) Toronto Maples Leafs (in 6)

01) Chicago Blackhawks vs 08) Minnesota Wild (in 4)

02) Anaheim Ducks vs 07) Detroit Red Wings (in 7)

03) Vancouver Canucks vs 06) San Jose Sharks (in 5*)

04) St Louis Blues vs 05) L.A. Kings (in 7)

*If Luongo starts, if not Canucks in 7.

Thanks for playing San Jose and Washington. Ugh, I hope the Sharks can navigate the waters these playoffs, but losing 3 of 4 down the stretch doesn't look good. Capitals and Rangers battling again, they always seem to meet somewhere down the line in the playoffs.

Anyway there's the data, but as they say "that's why you play the games"

Uh, I don't think it really matters that they lost 3 of 4. They lost a tough one to the hottest team in the league(CBJ), a goalie who owns them (Phoenix), and at the defending champs in a game which they were better off losing. They were all close games. Last year, the Sharks closed out the year winning the last 4, and did it matter? No, we lost in 5.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

That meeting in 1993 - I'm relatively certain those scrappy underdogs did that after Dale Hunter wrecked Pierre Turgeon, correct?

That was the year Mario got cancer, missed only 22 games (or so), came back like a house on fire, took the Art Ross away from Pat LaFontaine, running away with it, and, oh, the Penguins won 17 straight games. All of this as the two-time defending champions, too.

So, yeah, it might be an understatement to call that one a massive disappointment.

Somehow I forgot about the streak. Add that to the "strange coincidence" column. Kevin Stevens also had his face smashed in during Game 7 of that series in a collision with... Rich Pilon, who is one of the guys in the Mario statue out front.

Basically, this series is an irrationally-superstitious Pens fan's nightmare.

oBIgzrL.png

The quicker Pittsburgh and St Louis are done, the better for me. Funny enough I picked those two at the start of the year to make the Cup final.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

If Pittsburgh wins I'll be happy for exactly one person and his name is Jarome Iginla. I probably won't even watch if they're in the final though.

Sports are never fun, the bad guys always win.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I just realized that all Original 6 franchises made the playoffs. With next year's realignment putting 5 in the same division it could be a while before this happens again.

Four. Detroit, Boston, Montreal, & Toronto. The Rangers and Blackhawks are isolated.

And one of those four could be the "wild card" in the "Patrick/Atlantic" division.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Perhaps if the Kings do not hold a flush hand like the Pens and Blackhawks do, they have this ace card:

Of all the teams this postseason, the Kings have the only coach (Sutter) with coaching experience from the only other lockout-shortened season (1995 with Chicago). He could probably guesstimate the health conditions and appropriate minutes of his players the best, given the compressed scheduling this season and now of these playoffs. I call this a wildcard for the Kings' repeat hopes.

Sports are never fun, the bad guys always win.

This seems accurate. There's also the question of whether you or I, deep-down, want our favorite teams to lose.

...It has been proven that we are more emotional when our teams lose than when they win...

Archived