Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do we always have to be comparing this to basketball? Is it because those of us who are more hockey guys than basketball guys are in the minority, and thus always feel the need to elevate hockey when we can?

I mean, as much as the result pissed me off (my Twitter feed is clear evidence of this), I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence and say that wasn't an unbelievable, classic NBA game on the highest stage between two excellent teams. Why can't we just leave good enough alone?

spacer.png

This. Is. Awesome. This game easily tops last night NBA game.

Oh my God. We had a heartwretching NBA Finals Game 6 last night, and have a heartpounding Cup Final Game 4 right now. First time in a while we had consecutive great games by two separate leagues. Relish them both!

Overtime. Because why the :censored: not?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Ummm... Why the hell is Kaspers Daugavins in right now?

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Jesus am I glad I'm not a fan of either one of these teams. My heart wouldn't be able to take it. Stanley Cup hockey ain't half bad.

Yeah I think the only ways these games wouldn't be enjoyable is if you're a fan of either team.

For those of without a rooting interest these first four games have been as good as I can remember. I'm pulling for Chicago in OT so we'll all be even at 2 games a piece and we're guaranteed at least two more games.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Why do we always have to be comparing this to basketball? Is it because those of us who are more hockey guys than basketball guys are in the minority, and thus always feel the need to elevate hockey when we can?

Why can't we just leave good enough alone?

I'm just making a half educated guess here...it might be because the NHL is treated like the ugly stepchild of the "big four." NHL fans would like to see ESPN et al slobber as much over great playoff hockey as they do over average (last night excluded) NBA playoff basketball. But I could be wrong, and that's fine. I'm just happy that it bothers you.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm just making a half educated guess here...it might be because the NHL is treated like the ugly stepchild of the "big four." NHL fans would like to see ESPN et al slobber as much over great playoff hockey as they do over average (last night excluded) NBA playoff basketball. But I could be wrong, and that's fine. I'm just happy that it bothers you.

Exactly. When The B's beat the Pens in game 4, Sportscenter spent 40 minutes talking about the NBA Finals despite the fact it was an off night. They barely talked about the game, which was an excellent one. I guess you could say it is similar to how soccer fans react, although I'm pretty sure ESPN covers soccer more lately.

Also, my heart is about to stop. The person who is in the apartment next to mine will soon be awoken by me screaming, no matter the outcome.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

It doesn't bother my, it just pique's me curiosity. And I also alluded to that possibility anyway, about NHL fans wanting to elevate the sport because it gets lesser treatment compared to baseball, football, and basketball.

spacer.png

Archived