CS85

Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

Eastern Conference:

1) Pittsburgh over 8) NY Islanders (4-1)

2) Montreal over 7) Ottawa (4-1)

6) NY Rangers over 3) Washington (4-2)

4) Boston over 5) Toronto (4-1)

1) Pittsburgh over 6) NY Rangers (4-1)

4) Boston over 2) Montreal (4-2)

1) Pittsburgh over 4) Boston (4-1)

Western Conference:

1) Chicago over 8) Minnesota (4-0)

2) Anaheim over 7) Detroit (4-2)

3) Vancouver over 6) San Jose (4-2)

5) Los Angeles over 4) St. Louis (4-1)

1) Chicago over 5) Los Angeles (4-3)

2) Anaheim over 3) Vancouver (4-2)

1) Chicago over 2) Anaheim (4-3)

Stanley Cup Final:

1) Pittsburgh over 1) Chicago (4-3)

Conn Smythe: Evgeni Malkin

I know, going out on a limb there with two #1 seeds in the Final. Hockey never works that way.

Weird, I had basically the same predictions a few posts back!

First Round:

-I think we were only off by an average of less than 2 games per series with the same winners in 7 of the 8 first round series (I had Boston losing to Toronto)

Second Round:

-3 out of 4. You chose Boston over Montreal, I ended up having Montreal over Toronto in the conference finals.

Conference Finals:

-Our entire Western Conference bracket is exactly the same. We both have the Penguins winning/going to the Cup Finals

Finals:

-I chose Pens over Blackhawks in 7, you chose Pens over Blackhawks in 7

With the exception of Boston beating Toronto and Montreal, I think our perceptions of the playoffs are almost exactly the same (I had Toronto beating Boston, Montreal beating Toronto).

For fodder:

Regulation Records (SOW and SOL count as ties), average PointsPerGame% of opponents during regular season

Toronto: 26-17-5, 1.092

Montreal: 26-17-5, 1.090

Boston: 24-17-7, 1.069

Boston is tired. Toronto is amped.

Montreal vs. Toronto in the Conference Semifinals will go 7 games. Mark my words.

My friend has tickets to tonight's Dodger game, so I DVR'ed tonight's playoff game in Missouri. But here's one last look to tonight's Kings-Blues game. Let's see if the lockout aided in the Kings' health, especially Quick's back injury come this time of the year. Let's see how agile Jeff Carter can be against the St. Louis defense. And let's see if the Blues learned their lessons from last year's sweep-out, against Sutter's suffocating shot-altering defense.

Here's to the commencement of the Cup Playoffs. Sweet 16 to Elite 8 to Final 4 to the championship series for the next two months. Good luck to the favorites (Pens, Hawks), the underdogs (Sens, Islanders) and all in between. Good luck to all in this journey; now let's play some hockey! Let the games begin!!!

So any chance Minnesota had at beating Chicago in this series may have gotten a bit tougher. Nick Backstrom just got helped off the ice during warmup.

So any chance Minnesota had at beating Chicago in this series may have gotten a bit tougher. Nick Backstrom just got helped off the ice during warmup.

Beating them in, what, a single game?

I think we should be thankful that this year's Presidents' Trophy winners aren't in danger of a 1/8 upset. We know Los Angeles had some pretty solid talent last season and Vancouver was one of the choking dogs primed for a first round upset if things didn't fall exactly their way. Minnesota simply doesn't have the depth in any of the three departments to match up with Chicago. Niklas Backstrom is a fine goaltender, but he can't do it alone.

That said, I still think the most obvious mismatch of the first round is Los Angeles vs. St. Louis. LA is 10-1 since the start of last season vs. St. Louis, and won their last four meetings on St. Louis ice. This is the epitome of one team being an awful matchup for the other. LA only won eight road games this season, but they still took both games in St. Louis. That should tell you something.

Nicklas Backstrom injured in warmups for Minnesota. Josh Harding starting and will play all of game 1.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/205485081.html

Cal Clutterbuck has given Superman's cape a good, hard tug the Wild an early 1-0 lead.

Unless a miracle occurs and whoever the backup is pulls a Cam Ward.

VLC streams are the best.

VLC streams are the best.

The game is on CNBC in the States.

1. The TV is tuned in to the Kings' game.

2. The quality is pretty damn good, almost seems clearer than the TV.

Smoking ads...

c9JtGfH.gif

Two Ducks notes during warmups here at the Pond:

1) Jonas Hiller is starting.

2) Ducks are wearing their regular homes. NOT the 3rds.

3) The amount of counterfeit Red Winga jerseys here is kind of gross. Less Wings fans than I thought (thank god), but the amount of horizontal-nameplated-bold-numbered Wings jerseys is astounding.

God I love playoff atmosphere. Phone away until much much much later. LETS GO DUCKS!

Regehr takes a skate to the face and left a pool of blood on the ice. Ouch. EDIT: The heel hit his nose and it broke.

God I love playoff atmosphere. Phone away until much much much later. LETS GO DUCKS!

How many red jerseys do you see in the stands?

Regehr takes a skate to the face and left a pool of blood on the ice. Ouch.

How many red jerseys do you see in the stands?

I just edited the above post as you replied. There are some as there always is in games in SoCal, but not as many as I'd thought. Then again, it's only warmups.

I'm afraid to switch stations the Wild/Hawks game is pretty entertaining. But so was the Kings/Blues last I checked.

Also, we may not know until Friday but has anyone heard if the Sharks are going to wear their home Teal sweaters or their Black 3rds for home playoff games? I know it's been Black thirds for 2 or 3 seasons now, and they haven't seemed to help much if at all. I like the 3rds better than the home but I think they should try the Teal homes this time.

Black thirds, confirmed via Twitter.

(*.5)(*) (*) (*) (*)

Wooo! Overtime!

3) The amount of counterfeit Red Winga jerseys here is kind of gross. Less Wings fans than I thought (thank god), but the amount of horizontal-nameplated-bold-numbered Wings jerseys is astounding.

Why must you California teams insist on wearing your worst jerseys at home... It even applies to the Kings since they never bothered to update their homes to match the far superior whites... Sharks goes without saying