I kinda like the black court, actually. I would probably do the area surrounding the court in a different colour, though, maybe even just an ash-coloured wood.

I echo HawkeyHouse about the logos: the leaf/claw combo is awesome, but the circle is just so unnecessary. If it's only for the court, I'd be okay with it, but even then, the circle could probably be more subtle.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Love the maple leaf logo. It's subtle but still identifiable. As far as the court, I would use the same font on the baselines that you use in the logo. Also, I think that the circle at center court actually should be centered rather than centering the entire logo.

gYH2mW9.png

HawkeyHouse & aci:

Yep, the circle was only added for the midcourt logo; otherwise, the halfcourt line gets in there and muddles things up. No problem with me if you guys think the stand-alone logo by itself is better without it. Although the circle-less version actually looked pretty naked and incomplete as a midcourt logo, so I think it all works out.

As for the black court: I know people tend to either love or hate colored courts, but I'll admit I'm one of the ones who loves them. To me, having every court in the NBA be the same old plain hardwood just gets samey and boring after a while. I know, I know, it's tradition and all; but still...

GeauxColonels:

Good point about the font. Unfortunately, I was just going off the Raptors' existing wordmarks found on this site, so there wasn't much alternative for the baselines aside from what they had already used before. But luckily, when I took your other suggestion about centering the logo, the extra wordmark ended up looking redundant anyway (good call Whittier S), so the problem took care of itself!

Here's the updated version:

XfvvgTF.png

Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't plan on doing anything as far as uniforms. I had to choose, though, I'd probably go with something like Dave Ship's concept from this thread (the CN tower on the alt uni is a really creative touch), or just stick with what they already have. Conrad's concept from this thread would also be pretty cool for an alternate.

The floor would look sweet if it was actual hard wood, stained to a black or espresso color.

If it was just painted black (and thus, removed the wood grain) it would look cheesy, IMO.

1280x800.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I agree with bleuet. Your logo is definitely nice and well executed but we certainly don't need another maple leaf slapped on the logos of our teams. This is not the Canadian national team but Toronto's team. The first priority for our NBA team is to get a new identity altogether. Bring back the Huskies!

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

I agree with bleuet. Your logo is definitely nice and well executed but we certainly don't need another maple leaf slapped on the logos of our teams. This is not the Canadian national team but Toronto's team. The first priority for our NBA team is to get a new identity altogether. Bring back the Huskies!

I think the reason they did not name the team the Huskies is because it was too similar to the T-Wolves.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I don't know if the "don't stick yet another maple leaf in Toronto" holds here, because, unlike most of those logos, where the leaf is just slapped on, the maple leaf is ingeniously integrated in the logo. Also, in the US, we're drowning in stars and stripes--in New York, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, any more?--so I guess I just don't see the same kind of overkill in Canadian sports. Or maybe there is--Canadiens, Canucks, etc. Hm.

rATMcmK.png

Its very true the leaf is perfectly integrated in the logo. I am all fine with this.

My take on using the leaf:

The maple leaf for teams in Ottawa? Of course: capital city.

Maple leaf for teams outside the capital city? Why? (Except the Toronto Maple Leafs for obvious historical reasons)

Never understood the leaf on the Blue Jays logo. I dont undestand a canadian flag on the Flames unis. They could'nt resist using it on the new Winnipeg Jets logo (theres a link with the canadian air force, well OK!.)

Find a US flag on any US pro sports team, outside MLS? Those are not taking part in a world championship of hockey, baseball, basketball etc., Those are pro sports teams.

The leaf is a very nice shape. It just does not make sense everywhere.

Like the MLS FC Toronto. I cheer for the Impact. Why are the FC Toronto sporting a maple leaf on their jerseys? Its not my team, I am canadian.

Its a never ending debate. And probably not worth getting it going.

Maybe its just a matter of perception or something. I can be wrong.

I believe that the Blue Jays were actually the first to use a maple leaf on their logo in 1977. After that the copycats started pouring in with leaves on logos, uniforms or alternates: Toronto Raptors, Toronto Rock, Toronto FC, Calgary Flames, Winnipeg Jets.

We have a problem in Toronto with wanting to be overly Canadian instead of being Torontonian. Toronto FC should have used a combination of blue as that's the tradition here (Argos, Leafs, Jays). Instead they wanted to appeal to the entire country at a time when they were the only Canadian participant in MLS. The Raptors moved away from the purple to emphasize the red too, going as far as incorporating the leaf on the neck of their jerseys, as well as on the "TR" logo.

The same can be said of the Montreal Impact. They are doing the same at the provincial level by going all Blue instead of incorporating more black from the traditional past logos. Montreal sports teams have historically used the red, white and blue: Canadiens, Expos, Alouettes and the Impact should have probably followed suit.

I agree with Whittier S that in green21801's concept the incorporation is definitely more ingenious, but still redundant. Let's just be Canadians without being insecure about it and needing the maple leaf as a reminder.

Bottom line: it just goes to show that in Canada, we still have major issues between cities and regions and don't know really what fans or market to appeal to.

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

I'm not Canadian, so take my opinion with a grain of salt here, but I think part of the reason why teams like the Blue Jays and Raptors use the leaf is because they're the only Canadian teams in their respective leagues, so in a big way, they ARE representing the entire nation of Canada, and not just their particular city.

Having said that, I'll also admit I didn't realize how many other Canadian teams also use the leaf in their logos, so I can understand why Canadian sports fans might be getting a little tired of it. As an American, I'm personally pretty tired of all the red-white-and-blue teams, so I can relate.

Archived