2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

To be fair to the Avs, nobody gave Edmonton :censored: when they passed up Gudbranson, Larrson, and Murray. If Colorado's scouts believe Mackinnon is the best player in this draft, you draft him.

I don't think problem is that they're passing up on Jones so much as that they let the whole world know it. And though it wasn't terrible likely, let's say Florida really wanted Jones and was willing to trade up to first to get him under the assumption that the Avs would take him. Now they've killed any chance of that happening.

Anyways, I have a feeling they're trolling us and are gonna pick him anyways.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair to the Avs, nobody gave Edmonton :censored: when they passed up Gudbranson, Larrson, and Murray. If Colorado's scouts believe Mackinnon is the best player in this draft, you draft him.

I don't think problem is that they're passing up on Jones so much as that they let the whole world know it. And though it wasn't terrible likely, let's say Florida really wanted Jones and was willing to trade up to first to get him under the assumption that the Avs would take him. Now they've killed any chance of that happening.

Anyways, I have a feeling they're trolling us and are gonna pick him anyways.

It's not that Florida would want Jones, it's that they would want Drouin or MacKinnon. Florida trades up because Colorado says they want MacKinnon, Colorado takes Jones who they were going to take all along.

Kypreos is kind of a flake, also said we had a deal with Toronto. Kipper is not a backup and why would he leave here, to go to Columbus? It's been known for months that he was done this year, especially that the birth of his latest son didn't go very smoothly.

As for Bernier, LA probably wanted too much, and we didn't have the resources to get him. Right now it's Kari Ramo and Joey MacDonald, not exactly Vernon and Osgood. They have money, maybe make a run at Mike Smith or see what Buffalo wants for Ryan Miller.

Is Irving not on the radar anymore?

He's an RFA and hasn't been tendered. I really don't know who is more at fault there, the Flames or Irving just isn't much more than a fringe backup. They have goalies in the system they value more than Irving. This Reto Berra guy we got in the Bouwmeester trade, Joni Ortio and Laurent Brossoit who will make the transition to the pro's this fall, Danny Taylor probably an Abby starter and Jon Gillies who was the best frosh tender in the NCAA this year. Options are there but these are mainly 5 years down the road, outside of Berra and Ramo.

Bryzgalov I don't hate him, but I'm not exactly enamored with him. Owner wants to make the playoffs this year so Ryan Miller probably gives you the best chance, though they probably want prospects, and we need those.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So this essentially leaves Philly, Florida, and the Land of Brook for a landing spot for Luongo, I guess.

Maybe the Canucks do what's smart and trade Schneider for greater returns, including moving on up in the draft. Luongo apparently still has some good years left in him, and Lack should be more than ready to take over in a few years once Lu's cap hit decreases.

Doesn't the hit remain the same throughout the life of the contract even if the salary fluctuates?

I was under the impression that if he went to a new team the hit would be the remaining $$ over the remaining term. I stand to be corrected, however.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

So this essentially leaves Philly, Florida, and the Land of Brook for a landing spot for Luongo, I guess.

Maybe the Canucks do what's smart and trade Schneider for greater returns, including moving on up in the draft. Luongo apparently still has some good years left in him, and Lack should be more than ready to take over in a few years once Lu's cap hit decreases.

Doesn't the hit remain the same throughout the life of the contract even if the salary fluctuates?

I was under the impression that if he went to a new team the hit would be the remaining $$ over the remaining term. I stand to be corrected, however.

I'm almost sure that the cap hit remains the same, unless Vancouver were to retain a portion of his salary in the trade (which is what GFB might have been referring to). Under the current CBA, Vancouver can retain up to 50% of the cap hit, so another team could get him for as cheap as $2.6M and change per year.

Rumor has Flyers possibly going with Emery again. Another rumor has them being fine with Mason. Another has them playing this 6'6" 19 year old. Another has them going without a goalie all together because bobby Clarke was always jealous of Bernie parent's popularity and wants to prove that goalies don't matter ( and Holmer is basically just bobby Clarke with Ronnie Garvin's haircut).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rumor has Flyers possibly going with Emery again. Another rumor has them being fine with Mason. Another has them playing this 6'6" 19 year old. Another has them going without a goalie all together because bobby Clarke was always jealous of Bernie parent's popularity and wants to prove that goalies don't matter ( and Holmer is basically just bobby Clarke with Ronnie Garvin's haircut).

tumblr_mh853bEJpE1s1q25wo1_400.gif

Now they say they are looking for a guy to tandem with Steve Mason. I don't watch much hockey - can someone tell me why having two goalies is better than one starter who plays 60+ games? Or are the flyers the only idiots who feel this way

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now they say they are looking for a guy to tandem with Steve Mason. I don't watch much hockey - can someone tell me why having two goalies is better than one starter who plays 60+ games? Or are the flyers the only idiots who feel this way

I never believe anything teams say publicly; that's why I don't get why everyone is making such a big deal about the Sakic comments, either. They have Mason on the roster, so they're going to balance the truth with whatever will hurt his feelings the least.

Edit: I will be honestly surprised if Miller doesn't go to the Flyers.

Suggestions for Bruins:

Don't resign Nathan Horton.

Trade Milan Lucic.

End result: better team.

Local sports radio guy wanted to see Lucic and Ference on the new Seattle Coyotes.

As a Bruins fan, fine. But I don't want to have to watch it here.

Ference hasn't been terrible, btw, but that spot could be taken by someone better.

Maybe he turns his career around somewhere and he'll make this statement I'm about to make look stupid, hell, maybe he's the guy to end the Philadelphia goaltending woes, but Steve Mason is the last guy you want to use as your starter. He's the last guy you want to use in a goaltending by committee situation. He's not a starting goalie in the NHL.

It wasn't until the Blue Jackets handed Bobrovsky the starting job last season that he took off. When they tried using the two of them equally the team was at the bottom of the NHL standings. If they make the move one game earlier, they're in the postseason. Steve Mason cost the CBJ a playoff spot last season.

Horrible positioning and worse, he's a head case.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Suggestions for Bruins:

Don't resign Nathan Horton.

Trade Milan Lucic.

End result: better team.

Local sports radio guy wanted to see Lucic and Ference on the new Seattle Coyotes.

As a Bruins fan, fine. But I don't want to have to watch it here.

Ference hasn't been terrible, btw, but that spot could be taken by someone better.

Lucic and Horton are both basically the same player; awful, terrible passers who can score if you stick them in front of the net. Nathan Horton is basically Glen Murray. Considering their cap hits, you can find cheaper alternatives.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived