2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't that hard to hang banners. The Flames have a problem with it and now the Ducks apparently have problems with it.

It's simple. Hang them in chronological order, have the banners in the same design/colours, and retire numbers in the jersey the players wore... cough cough Flames.

IbjBaeE.png

It isn't that hard to hang banners. The Flames have a problem with it and now the Ducks apparently have problems with it.

It's simple. Hang them in chronological order, have the banners in the same design/colours, and retire numbers in the jersey the players wore... cough cough Flames.

Forever a Flame is THE single worst way of honouring a player in the league.

Theo Fleury should have had his number retired 5 years ago, Al MacInnis was the first victim of the Forever a Flame, and if you talk to most Flames' fans, they'll tell you #2 should be retired, as well as 14 and quite possibly 25.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

And why hang the 2007 WC banner when you won the Cup that year?

Most teams that don't have 24094737 Stanley Cup Championships do that.

GIYiTiw.jpg

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

That's just dumb. There's only one Western Conference Championship. If you didn't win the Campbell Bowl that season, then you didn't win a Conference Championship. It's that simple.

Then again, the Wings using any possible excuse to hang a banner doesn't surprise me.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Theo Fleury should have had his number retired 5 years ago, Al MacInnis was the first victim of the Forever a Flame, and if you talk to most Flames' fans, they'll tell you #2 should be retired, as well as 14 and quite possibly 25.

I know that Forever a Flame thing is stupid and now they got the Roughnecks doing it and possibly the Hitmen too.

And they screwed themselves over when Iggy retires. What do they do then? Are they going to make him a Forever a Flame or are they going to screw Al over when they retire Iggy's number but leave Al's?

But I was meaning the original banner when they retired Mike Vernon's number.

vernon30_100.jpg

I mean, what is this? He was a star during the Flames heyday in the 80's, so lets use the current (at the time) jersey that he never wore!

IbjBaeE.png

"Western Conference Regular Season Champions" is the most ridiculous thing. San Jose pulls that garbage too. Have some respect for yourselves, my God....

The Red Wings have the Joe Louis rafters all to themselves and BY GOD they're gonna fill 'em.

What a Sharks thing to do, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know that Forever a Flame thing is stupid and now they got the Roughnecks doing it and possibly the Hitmen too.

And they screwed themselves over when Iggy retires. What do they do then? Are they going to make him a Forever a Flame or are they going to screw Al over when they retire Iggy's number but leave Al's?

But I was meaning the original banner when they retired Mike Vernon's number.

vernon30_100.jpg

I mean, what is this? He was a star during the Flames heyday in the 80's, so lets use the current (at the time) jersey that he never wore!

I do remember them looking stupid as all hell up there. They've cleaned it up and have one more number to throw up there.

It's done. Kipper announces his retirement.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681811

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Hey, Lee, the Jets like taking guys back from the Canucks (Wellwood, Glass, technically Rypien), and Mason Raymond is out of work with less than three weeks to go. Decent player. Take a chance on him?

No. No, no, no. No.

He's got good speed, but the balance of a toddler. A decent shot, but he refuses to use it. Let Toronto have the full-on Mason Raymond experience on his PTO, then let him wallow in the SEL for a year or two until he learns to use his skills properly.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Inevitable move for the Isles. I like the way their team is coming together, but I'm worried about their ability to make the playoffs again in a hyper-competitive East. Carolina and Jersey are the only two truly bad teams in that division, and even the Devils might scrap their way out of the cellar.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't see this team making the playoffs this year because the cheap Charlie who owns them really did nothing in the offseason to improve the team. In the grand scheme of things I'm ok with them letting Streit go but they really didn't add much to the mix and the offense relies pretty much on the Tavares line. Plus they have to play in November this season which is always a historically bad month for them.

And why hang the 2007 WC banner when you won the Cup that year?

Most teams that don't have 24094737 Stanley Cup Championships do that.

It's all a matter of occupying an arena's rafter volume. For teams like the Habs and Leafs, the amount of cups they've won can, more than enough, take care of the avaliable space.

For others, those teams will utilize all their accomplishments and scrap themselves a hefty number of banners. That way, they'll feel important to the visiting teams (self-esteem factor).

Archived