2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

Here's my Sabres season preview:

Apparently, the Sabres decided last season's piss poor performance was a fluke, because they are pretty much rolling with the same lineup that got their coach fired and left them out of the playoffs for the fourth time in six years. We traded away our timid captain at the deadline. He wasn't the greatest player ever, but he's probably a 70 point guy in a full season and we haven't replaced him with anyone. Additionally, we hired our interim coach as the full-time guy. He was so good that the Sabres didn't even interview anyone else for the job, despite the fact that the team did only marginally better than the performance that got Lindy Ruff fired (i.e. they probably would've turned it around that much, anyway).

Our biggest free agent signing was Jamie Tardif; our biggest trade acquisition was Jamie McBain. For a team that missed the playoffs. But we might have some young guys who may be ready to do some stuff maybe? Also, we unveiled a terribad third jersey. Cool.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan Cleary has apparently signed a 3-year deal woth Philly. Deal includes a no-trade clause.

Just when I thought I wouldn't have to watch him play terribly, he signs with my local team. I guess it's better to see him fail for a team I hate rather than the one I like.

Dan Cleary has apparently signed a 3-year deal woth Philly. Deal includes a no-trade clause.

Just when I thought I wouldn't have to watch him play terribly, he signs with my local team. I guess it's better to see him fail for a team I hate rather than the one I like.

2.75 per? With a NTC? What the...

I'm sure they know. I just don't think they care. The Flyers have abandoned the traditional model of building a hockey team in exchange for "just have a bunch of guys doin' stuff," which, while puzzling from an analytic standpoint, is certainly fun to watch, whatever the outcomes may be.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Last I saw, the Flyers were a few million over the cap limit....has that changed at all?

Yeah. They're currently a little over $2 million above the cap, but that's only because they can't move Chris Pronger and his $4.94M hit back to the LTIR yet.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It would be funny if someone swooped in and signed Cleary for even more money between now and when Pronger's money comes off the books. I'd say Doug Wilson would do it, because maybe Paul Holmgren cross-checked Dale Tallon once and we know that Doug Wilson's roster tranactions are informed by how teams have wronged Dale Tallon, but the Sharks are over the cap, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes he's point per game on the Leafs good, but that's sort of like a Mike Smith / Phoenix thing. Take him anywhere else and he'll be the Nazem Kadri we all [in Ottawa] hoped he would be.

Haters gonna hate :P

And yet no one saw fit to offer-sheet him. Again. Maybe he's not that good. That has to be it.

Also not good enough to be signed by anyone except his current team on the cheap: Alex Pietrangelo. Man, this league's full of young turds!
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived