2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tavares had better win this Hart. Crosby should not win it because if you take out him and Malkin they'd still make the playoffs. Heck, take out Fleury they might get somewhere.

Edit: I guess, this goes along the NHL's protocol of not viewing the Islanders as an actual team.

Tim Leiweke never thought of Los Angeles as a hockey city.

To his credit, the gravitational pull in this city is basketball (and because of the enormous Latino population, soccer), so I'll give him that.

But still...

I think you're reading into it way more negatively then it was intended. Let's look at Toronto and the Blue Jays. The Jays have a rather large following, all things considered. I'd even say they're probably the second most popular team in the GTA. I wouldn't call Toronto a "baseball town" though, because it's not. Same with LA and hockey. Good, loyal fans. The sport doesn't define the city's sports landscape like it does elsewhere though. And that's not even a bad thing.

Seriously. The first things at anyone thinks about when it comes to LA and sports are the Lakers and Dodgers.

It's kinda like how Rangers fans ripped Josh Hamilton to shreds for saying the Metroplex isn't a baseball area. I know, the comment reeked of sour grapes, but for Rangers fans to indirectly imply that the Rangers are more important to the area than the Cowboys (because a town can only officially carry one sports label) is entirely disingenuous.

spacer.png

Ovechkin was, in my opinion, the least deserving of the nominations. Why he won it is beyond me.

When he sucked, his team sucked. When he was hot, his team made the playoffs. I'm just glad Crosby didn't win it, because that team didn't miss a beat without him.

Bobrovsky gets the Vezina.

I bet Philadelphia feels stupid right about now.

Philadelphia's summer of '11 was about the worst offseason a hockey team has ever had that didn't involve everyone dying in a plane crash.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

BOBROVSKY!

Now they just need to sign him and take care of that restricted free agent status. NHL teams will probably offer sheet him. I'm not worried about that. The Blue Jackets will match anything and I think he wants to play here over other markets. I am worried about what's coming out of the KHL. There's grumblings that the KHL will offer him unrefusable money. God that would suck. Just have to hope that good money and playing against the best in the world is preferable to great money in his home country.

I'm also weary of the Jim Carey factor. He won the Vezina as a 22 year old and it ruined him. We also had a Calder trophy winning goaltender and that more or less ruined him. From all accounts Bob is the hardest working goalie anyone has ever seen so I don't think it'll happen to him, but you never know. Goalies are weird people.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Philadelphia's summer of '11 was about the worst offseason a hockey team has ever had that didn't involve everyone dying in a plane crash.

to be fair, Bobrovsky didn't really show that he was the answer, and lots of people (on this board and in the media in general) thought the Bryzgolof signing was a good move (from a personnel standpoint, not necessarily a dollars and cents standpoint.) Wouldn't have predicted that Bryz would totally wilt under actual media and fan pressure (which is exactly what happened. Anyone who discounts the points that it's harder to play in some places than others can just look to this as an example).

Carter and Richards had to go. They would have won nothing here. I think people were on board with the prospects they got from LA, it's just that it didn't work out.

So yeah - horrible offseason. But not necessarily due to stupidity. Just that nothing worked out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I called the Bryzgalov signing blowing up from the outset:

Hey I agree that the Flyers (like the Eagles) are in the playoffs every year and fall flat on their faces, but I didn't understand why people were ranking them 10th to 12th-best in the Eastern Conference...
Because they lost their top two centers, did not get immediate commensurate value in return, Pronger and Briere are aging rapidly, and Bryzgalov has never played in a high-scrutiny environment. Personally, all that is only enough for me to slot them 6th to 8th, but some people believe in the Maple Leafs, Jets, and Devils more than I do.

And the premature end of Chris Pronger, too!

I'm sorry, but that offseason was unconscionable. To have cast their lot with Pronger over Mike Richards might have made sense in 1999, but was asinine in 2011, whether you saw a career-ending injury coming or not. Why did the Kings finally break through and win the Stanley Cup? Because Duthtin Brown is an elite top-six forward? HAHAHA GOOD ONE. Because Dwight King or Trevor Lewis are anything considerably greater than replacement-level lunkheads? Because Dustin Penner deigned to move his fat ass? Because Darryl Sutter drooling on his necktie was just the expert coaching they had theretofore so sorely lacked? Maybe little bits and pieces of that helped, but falling ass-backwards into Mike Richards and Jeff Carter was the real difference-maker, seeing as they are among the league's elite forwards. They wouldn't have guaranteed a championship -- no core does -- but I'd have taken my chances with Richards, Carter, and Giroux before thinking some whiny Russian moth who got fat on shot-blocking was going to be the answer.

to be fair, Bobrovsky didn't really show that he was the answer, and lots of people (on this board and in the media in general) thought the Bryzgolof signing was a good move (from a personnel standpoint, not necessarily a dollars and cents standpoint.) Wouldn't have predicted that Bryz would totally wilt under actual media and fan pressure (which is exactly what happened. Anyone who discounts the points that it's harder to play in some places than others can just look to this as an example).

Carter and Richards had to go. They would have won nothing here. I think people were on board with the prospects they got from LA, it's just that it didn't work out.

So yeah - horrible offseason. But not necessarily due to stupidity. Just that nothing worked out.

They gave up on a young goalie because of one mediocre season and one bad playoff game though; that didn't make sense to me. He was only 23, and I feel like there are lots of goalies who aren't finished developing by then. It was like they just said, "We're Philly and we always have bad goalies! Oh noes it's happening again!"

BOB wouldn't have been successful this year behind our awful defense anyway, but to trade him away because Bryz wanted to start 90% of the games like years past, only to turn around and dump Bryz a year later...smh

btw admiral....that 2011-12 Flyers team that was ranked 10th-12th finished with the 3rd-most points in the Eastern conference (6th in the league) and knocked out the beloved Penguins :P

I said 6th to 8th that year, and that it was a bad move in the long run, which it was. But Wayne Simmonds is pretty good, pretty good, actually, we tell ourselves as we try not to think of what could have been.

Nothing would have been with Richards and Carter and the atmosphere they created here. Maybegetting shipped out of town was a wake up call for both of them, but they would not have won anything here considering they viewed hockey as just a way to kill time before it was time to o down the shore. I can't count how often I would see those clowns down there, and it was pretty apparent they just didn't take hockey seriously. The flyers make bad moves. A lot of them. But even they wouldn't get rid of guys like that if there wasn't a good reason. So maybe the haul wasn't good, but getting rid of them needed to be done. IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A local radio station is reporting

"The Ottawa Senators have scheduled a news conference for tomorrow morning to make a "significant business announcement." "

they also went on to say that the rumour is that Scotiabank place might be renamed. It would be nice if it were about jerseys, but it's not...

Archived