NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

Its two nicknames

AD All Day

AP Adrian Peterson

I don't get what's confusing

Except one is what his nickname is, and was all the way through college. And the other was only brought about by people trying to self-correct when he entered the NFL.

From his Reddit AMA:

5UFpcVK.png

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from Deadspin:

And Brooklyn, which hasn't released the full set, but those of the relevant players are already on sale:

Reggie Evans: "Joker"
Kevin Garnett: "The Big Ticket"
Joe Johnson: "JJ"
Andrei Kirilenko: "Кириленко"
Brook Lopez: "Brooklyn"
Paul Pierce: "Truth"
Mason Plumlee: "Plums"
Jason Terry: "Jet"
Deron Williams: "D-Will"

Some of these weren't the players' first choices. Shane Battier wanted to wear "Batman," which would have been amazing, but would be a trademark violation. Andrei Kirilenko's preferred "AK-47" was presumably nixed by the league, so he's going with the Cyrillic spelling of his name.

And if Joe Johnson ever gets matched up on James Jones, the entire arena should stand up, point, and laugh at them for their lack of creativity.

So disappointed they couldn't find a way to put "SUPERNINTENDO" on Mario Chalmers's jersey.

SKINNER!

Far more offensive than the initial nicknames are half these guys who don't actually have these nicknames in regular conversation, ahem "Cole Train"

I thought it was a pun on 'Soul Train'

Maybe both, which is clever enough, but that's not the point. Point is no one actually calls him that!

No all of you are wrong it's for legendary jazz man John Coltrane.

heat1_010414_300.jpg

Any other teams donning HWCs this year?

Absolutely love those Magic unis...just wish they would bring them back full time already. Still by far the franchises best look ever, IMO.

Agree, I would want to change the font though. The retro font is way too "90's".

LAKERS | BRONCOS | GOLDEN BEARS | PAC-12 FOOTBALL

Its two nicknames

AD All Day

AP Adrian Peterson

I don't get what's confusing

Except one is what his nickname is, and was all the way through college. And the other was only brought about by people trying to self-correct when he entered the NFL.

From his Reddit AMA:

5UFpcVK.png

And that's where the confusion begins. When two nicknames are so similar and when people aren't familiar with the other one, this happens.

Go A's!

AD is no different that OG for Ice-T .. which is a nickname's nickname

Wrong. When one letter is the only thing that separates two nicknames, that's where it can be confusing. Especially when nicknames are now formed with just initials, AD to some might be initials to a name.

Go A's!

Why isn't "Joker" trademarked also?

It probably was, but Reggie thought it was a Rebound, so grabbed it anyway.

But seriously, you can't trademark a regular word. Batman is trademarked because it's 2 words spelled as one. For example, iPad should be I pad, but they wouldn't be able to trademark it, so they spell it differently so they can.

Lopez wanted Batman too I think, or something comic related.

from Deadspin:

And Brooklyn, which hasn't released the full set, but those of the relevant players are already on sale:

Some of these weren't the players' first choices. Shane Battier wanted to wear "Batman," which would have been amazing, but would be a trademark violation. Andrei Kirilenko's preferred "AK-47" was presumably nixed by the league, so he's going with the Cyrillic spelling of his name.

And if Joe Johnson ever gets matched up on James Jones, the entire arena should stand up, point, and laugh at them for their lack of creativity.

So Lopez will have Brooklyn on the front and back of his jersey. Wonder how hard the Nets' marketing staff shoved that nickname down his throat?

from Deadspin:

So Lopez will have Brooklyn on the front and back of his jersey. Wonder how hard the Nets' marketing staff shoved that nickname down his throat?

Avery Johnson used to joke with the whole BROOKlyn thing. He wanted something trademarked, but picked this as a backup

oh my god don't any of you know who John Coltrane is

Everyone should. One of the most influential musicians of the 20th century.

(Just listened to "Summertime" from "My Favorite Things" today while working.)

I prefer Miles's "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess, but then I have a soft spot for trumpet and also for all that cool Gil Evans orchestrated stuff. "My Favorite Things" is just amazing, though. "Naima" is still my favorite from him, though. Ascension lost me, though, sorry.

I get it. Like coal powers steam engines.

jeepers

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived