lilben777

NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

http://www.uni-watch.com/2014/01/17/exclusive-look-at-new-jerseys-for-the-nets-and-hornets/

Paul Lukas has a source, and that source says the Hornets are going with a mad simple look.

NWhkRLa.jpg

Supposedly "drawn up from memory" so that would explain why it's so barebones. I imagine it will have more detail... if it doesn't then... well damn. I guess you gotta give Charlotte credit for trying to move forward and not stay totally in the past. New logo, new uniforms, makes sense.

Also that Nets jersey looks great, but it's probably going to have sleeves so you can forget that.

I hope that is just a prototype because I am not impressed. It looks very similar to that Nets design above, at least the same concept.

I'm gonna cry about these All Star jerseys. Sleeves are here to stay and that makes me really sad.

What are the chances that those are the Adidas' three stripes on the side of the Hornets' uni? That would be horrible.

Didn't someone on this board do a similar Nets concept?

Yeah, I think I remember that. But realistically, the idea of a black and white ABA throwback seemed like a no-brainer

colorwerx did.

What's unique about that Hornets uniform (if it is real) is that it still has the 1990s quality of having a uniform design be asymmetrical

I've always been a proponent of having players wear their own jerseys instead of specially made All-Star jerseys. In some strange way, I've thought the All-Star Game was supposed to be a snapshot of that season or era. For example, what better says 1997 then this? Mutumbo in the spread hawk jerseys, Hill in the horseheads, Terrell Brandon in the paint stripe outfits, Jordan with the red 23, and Penny in the pinstripes are part of what I think of when I think of the NBA in the mid-late 90's, not a talented chili pepper.

Also, what's with the green on the East's jersey? There's no green anywhere in the All-Star logo package.

It should be noted that these Jersey's are branded with a "Mardi Gras" (Purple, Green, Gold, White) influence and pay homage to the heritage of the French inspired city of New Orleans. Meanwhile keeping the main flow of the some-what traditional Red (West) vs. Blue (East) All-Star jersey theme. Horrible.... horrible job by Adidas and the NBA

I actually like those Hornets prototype. But its too simple and it doesn't include the multicolored pinstripes. So no thanks. If Brooklyn went this direction then they would have a top 5 jersey. But for Charlotte I give it a 7.5. Good but great. Same as OKC's alternate (KC royals look)

Darren Rovell tweeted this picture. He said these t-shirts with the Air Jordan logo are going to be sold in the Bobcats team store. He said Nike and Jordan Brand can sell NBA merchandise as long as it doesn't resemble on court items. Does this sound correct to anyone? If it is correct, why hasn't Nike been selling t-shirts all along?

8728BE65-6A84-454F-8E89-0A62105E528A.jpg

What are the chances that those are the Adidas' three stripes on the side of the Hornets' uni? That would be horrible.

There's no way Jordan would allow that.

Darren Rovell tweeted this picture. He said these t-shirts with the Air Jordan logo are going to be sold in the Bobcats team store. He said Nike and Jordan Brand can sell NBA merchandise as long as it doesn't resemble on court items. Does this sound correct to anyone? If it is correct, why hasn't Nike been selling t-shirts all along?

That's no different than Majestic, '47 Brand, and other companies selling off-court merch:

61xpVx8XjvL._SL1500_.jpg

So, I'm sure Nike could get into this space if they wanted to. But why would they market off-court merch, knowing that promoting NBA team brands only served to promote Adidas' official gear?

I can see why Nike would make an exception for the Hornets -- it serves to strengthen the Jordan Brand. But I doubt that you'll see Hornets gear sold in Niketowns or via Nike.com. Could be wrong, though.

That's no different than Majestic, '47 Brand, and other companies selling off-court merch:

61xpVx8XjvL._SL1500_.jpg

So, I'm sure Nike could get into this space if they wanted to. But why would they market off-court merch, knowing that promoting NBA team brands only served to promote Adidas' official gear?

I can see why Nike would make an exception for the Hornets -- it serves to strengthen the Jordan Brand. But I doubt that you'll see Hornets gear sold in Niketowns or via Nike.com. Could be wrong, though.

How is this any different than Nike selling college merchandise for an Adidas team or vice versa? I think Nike would definitely want to sell NBA merchandise given the amount of money they spend on shoe deals with NBA players.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Xmas jerseys was Adidas getting Big Logos off non Adidas TShirts, like that "Bron" shirt with the logo.

Also, I love the fact that the Nets are getting a Dr. J era Jersey, but the sleeves can ruin the side design of the stars, because it would block some of it.

How is this any different than Nike selling college merchandise for an Adidas team or vice versa? I think Nike would definitely want to sell NBA merchandise given the amount of money they spend on shoe deals with NBA players.

Good point. Perhaps there's a bigger market for off-court merch for colleges (e.g., sweatshirts, etc.) than there is for off-court merch for NBA teams. On most college campuses, some students may buy football and basketball jerseys, but almost all students own some non-sports-specific merch like a hoodie.

In contrast: at an NFL game, for example, you'll see a ton of jerseys -- a higher percentage than I've ever seen in the stands of any college game, at least. Maybe that carries over to the NBA as well.

I'm curious about the numbers (on-court gear vs. off-court merch for college vs. pro), now that you mention it.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Xmas jerseys was Adidas getting Big Logos off non Adidas TShirts, like that "Bron" shirt with the logo.

Also, I love the fact that the Nets are getting a Dr. J era Jersey, but the sleeves can ruin the side design of the stars, because it would block some of it.

How so? If you think about it, the sleeves give them more real estate to continue the star design. A sleeved jersey won't block more of the side panel than a normal jersey, because the player's arm is the thing actually blocking your view. The sleeve doesn't add any arm girth.

Illni beat me to the comment about 3 stripes.

Jordan has long released apparel for the Bobcats through his personal brand. Can't wait to get my hands on some new Hornets merch tomorrow!

As far as those jerseys, no way they're official. (Well maybe as a quick mock-up or prototype I guess). They do not fit at all with the whole marketing campaign that's been going on. They are hideous as well.

If Charlotte used this as their jersey names. It would be kinda cool. Love the use of the hornet as a "C" however the Crown C would be better.

140118-hornets-merch-02.jpg

Team stores can sell a broader range of merchandise from different manufacturers. The owner/CEO of Zephyr hats tweets NBA arena collection items all the time, although you'll only find Adidas/M&N/'47 brand hats online.