NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not the only one noticing the patches (ads?) on the jerseys for the NBA All-Star Challenge, am I?

Considering the alternative, I think I've come around to small ad patches as they are the lesser of 2 evils.

Also dug this up: USA Today on Sleeved Jerseys. Allow me to break a couple quotes down:

"Sales of the short-sleeved jersey have exceeded expectations," Chris Grancio, Adidas' head of global marketing, told USA TODAY Sports. "That to me is the ultimate vote of confidence."

Can we put this in the "Reasons why the World is Going to Crap" thread? :P

"We don't build something like this in a vacuum," Grancio said.

Judging by how half-assed those Christmas jerseys looked, it sure looked like you did. You'd probably find a better knockoff for 1/2 the price.

They're also not concocting a sinister plan to make every basketball team in the world switch from the traditional tank-top jerseys to the short-sleeved variety.

Tell that to the teams playing on Christmas, the players playing in the All-Star game, and coming next season, the "city pride" jerseys. Sounds more like it's coming one step at a time...

"There is no grand vision from NBA or Adidas that this will be the new uniform for every team forever," Grancio said. "But we do want to find found partners who embrace. We want to use league-wide platforms like Christmas Day and (the) All-Star (Game) to introduce push it on the league and celebrate it our 'innovation'."

Fixed it for you.

There is a buffer between the sleeve and the jersey, which would resemble a regular tank jersey if the sleeves where detached. That buffer "takes all of the movement of the arm so the jersey doesn't tug or pull or ride," Grancio said. "When it's fit properly, it minimizes all the potential issues of playing in a T-shirt and allows for 100% free range of motion."

Maybe making the jerseys a little looser would be a better idea. Or better yet, just don't use sleeves at all. Occam's razor, everyone.

The players also will wear shorts that are lighter than those worn in regular-season games.

To make the players 0.00027% faster and jump 0.0015% higher, right?

The jerseys are fit for the players, but when fans go into the store they don't have to worry about having to be in-shape enough for that tight fit. A more relaxed design is sold to fans.

"We thought it was an opportunity to give fans to embrace their team," Grancio said. "The standard (tank-top) jersey is hard for a lot of people to wear."

Ahem. There's this option for those who want an opportunity for fans to embrace their team through non-tank top means. Fans can look better and save $50-60 while doing so.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Jersey shirts barely look anything like an actual jersey, though. Throw that argument out the window. I have two Milwaukee Brewers jersey shirts and while it's cool, it's still not what the players wear. People want what is being worn during a game. Overall, I just wear a white or black shirt underneath my Kobe jersey so the whole sleeves argument is useless to me.

Also, during All-Star Weekend there are NOT ad patches. This comes up every year as a knee jerk reaction, but it's always been a patch of the event the player is taking part in.

bSLCtu2.png

Jersey shirts barely look anything like an actual jersey, though. Throw that argument out the window. I have two Milwaukee Brewers jersey shirts and while it's cool, it's still not what the players wear. People want what is being worn during a game. Overall, I just wear a white or black shirt underneath my Kobe jersey so the whole sleeves argument is useless to me.

Also, during All-Star Weekend there are NOT ad patches. This comes up every year as a knee jerk reaction, but it's always been a patch of the event the player is taking part in.

That's my solution to the whole "tank-top" issue, too, though the colors differ and the player represented isn't Kobe. ;)

I always saw jersey shirts as the lower-cost alternative to actual jerseys. Those really aren't a bad idea, IMO--I just wonder if they'll be phased out by the league and Adidas because, you know, money.

As for non-ad patches on jerseys, you could say that what we saw this weekend might as well be, as there's a thread going on about plans for jersey ads. That said, they don't look as bad if they remain small. Perhaps they can match the team's color scheme should they get any bigger over time (eventually likely) or to minimize appearance (not likely) if fans make a big enough deal about it.

"Sales of the short-sleeved jersey have exceeded expectations," Chris Grancio, Adidas' head of global marketing, told USA TODAY Sports. "That to me is the ultimate vote of confidence."

So they sold one instead of zero?

Zing! :D

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

There wasn't a single player wearing an alternate jersey this weekend. I wonder when was the last time it happened.

with so many of the alternates being sleeved and the players hating them I can see why no one is wearing them

That's what I thought too. We're already getting an entire game of sleeves today, don't want to overload

Go A's!

I actually don't mind the sleeves in general too much. What makes it bad for me is that there are just sleeves tacked onto the uniform. If Adidas actually used that space for design (sleeve stripes, logo, etc.) it would look a lot better. Of course, I think sleeveless looks better and makes more sense for the players' comfort, but the sleeves could look decent if done right.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I actually don't mind the sleeves in general too much. What makes it bad for me is that there are just sleeves tacked onto the uniform. If Adidas actually used that space for design (sleeve stripes, logo, etc.) it would look a lot better. Of course, I think sleeveless looks better and makes more sense for the players' comfort, but the sleeves could look decent if done right.

Strangely enough, I agree with you. While I despise sleeves in general, if Adidas actually did something with them, they would save face in my book. The problem is that sleeved jerseys look more like soccer jerseys at best or some kind of knock-off shirts made for bikers.

A couple ideas would be to use sleeved faux/throwbacks (think something like Jerry Sloan in college) or Oklahoma basketball working. But then again, any of these ideas would look better without sleeves (except, perhaps, the way-back throwbacks).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

I went to the All-Star Game Jam Session with my dad and sisters on Saturday...all I can say is that this entire ASG package was a complete and utter fail. The sleeved stuff looks awful, it legit looks like glorified fan gear (which makes the actual fan gear look pointless). The colors used just didn't work well (which might be why I saw several ASG hats in the old NO Hornets colors), and the entire package came off as dull and generic.

If Adidas and the NBA want to continue this nonsense, then I truly hope that they step their design game up, because this entire season has been one long parade of missteps.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Archived