NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

The NBA is now selling NBA Soul Swingman jerseys with nicknames on the back. Ugh....

http://store.nba.com/Houston_Rockets_Gear/adidas_Hakeem_Olajuwon_Houston_Rockets_Soul_Swingman_Nickname_Jersey_-_Red

To top it off, didn't Yao Ming have YAO on the back, not MING like this jersey from the NBA Store?

http://store.nba.com/Jerseys_Hardwood_Classics/adidas_Yao_Ming_Houston_Rockets_Soul_Swingman_Throwback_Jersey_-_Navy_Blue

The funny thing is that the European branch of NBA Store is selling throwbacks with proper last names

http://www.nbastore.eu/stores/nba/products/product_browse.aspx?category|category_root|35907=jerseys&category|cat_35907|36029=hardwood%20classics

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would the ads have to be replacements for uniform scripts or can it just be a corporate logo above the NOB or something?

It's been said that's it's going to be a 2.5x2.5 patch, most likely on the chest (or possibly the sleeve?)

Via Bleacher Report's Howard Beck:

Commissioner Adam Silver told Bleacher Report he intends to revisit the issue after the season. He plans to meet with LeBron James, one of the loudest critics of the jerseys. The NBA could decide to curtail the use of the sleeved jerseys, leave it up to individual teams or simply kill the program for good.

"Ultimately, if the players don't like them, we'll move on to something else," Silver told Bleacher Report. "I don't regret doing it for this season. But it's intended to be something fun for the fans and the players. And if it becomes a serious issue, as to whether players should be wearing sleeves, we'll likely move onto other things."

The matter took on an added urgency, at least from a public relations standpoint, when James, the league's four-time MVP, trashed the jerseys after a loss to San Antonio on March 6. James shot 6-of-18. He blamed the sleeves.

"I'm not a big fan of the jerseys, not a big fan of them," James told reporters that night. "I've got to figure something out the next time I wear the short-sleeved jerseys."

It pains me to see the NBA do so horribly with branding. They are destined to remain the 3rd or 4th most popular sport, or maybe even worse, with their image the way it is.

The answer to sleeved jerseys seems really simple. Make an official team undershirt, and sell it with every jersey. No one complains when one guy on your favorite NCAA team wears a short-sleeve T-shirt underneath his uniform. But when you make everyone do it, and you design new uniforms especially for it, it's lame.

If the NBA also wants to improve uniform sales, I would suggest that they design better/more unique shooting shirts (not an Adidas template), and stop changing the friggin' warm-ups every year. I would spend $100 on a well-designed, unique, team-branded shooting shirt. As it is, though, you rarely see the players wearing them.

Via Bleacher Report's Howard Beck:

Commissioner Adam Silver told Bleacher Report he intends to revisit the issue after the season. He plans to meet with LeBron James, one of the loudest critics of the jerseys. The NBA could decide to curtail the use of the sleeved jerseys, leave it up to individual teams or simply kill the program for good.

"Ultimately, if the players don't like them, we'll move on to something else," Silver told Bleacher Report. "I don't regret doing it for this season. But it's intended to be something fun for the fans and the players. And if it becomes a serious issue, as to whether players should be wearing sleeves, we'll likely move onto other things."

The matter took on an added urgency, at least from a public relations standpoint, when James, the league's four-time MVP, trashed the jerseys after a loss to San Antonio on March 6. James shot 6-of-18. He blamed the sleeves.

"I'm not a big fan of the jerseys, not a big fan of them," James told reporters that night. "I've got to figure something out the next time I wear the short-sleeved jerseys."

Also, commentary on today's media. How is that rather politically-correct quote by James considered "trashing" the jerseys? There have been much larger criticisms than that among players, and among fans/sales too I'm sure.

Just another reason to dislike adidas

10285294.jpg?is=500,500

And that logo is really interesting.

Isn't that the kids or NBA for her range I've seen a kid wear a LeBron Heat version but I believe it was fake the # font looked off. I do fear though that's what all NBA jerseys will look like by the final season of its contract stock standard template 3 stripes down each side wham bam $350-400 later for Authentic Jerseys.

Please, Lord, let it be! I dunno if i could handle both sleeves AND shoulder-area ads, so hopefully we just have to deal with one.

I was just thinking about this the other day. If Silver decided to let the fans pick (unlikely, but humor me) between sleeves or ads, which would you choose?

A small ad is bearable compared to goofy sleeves that look really wrong and contain no design elements utilizing said sleeves whatsoever.

That's what they want us to think. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole sleeves thing was just a smokescreen to make us more accepting of the idea of ads - "Well, you wanted the sleeves gone, but we'll have to put ad patches on the jerseys to make up for lost revenue..."

A small ad is bearable compared to goofy sleeves that look really wrong and contain no design elements utilizing said sleeves whatsoever.

That's what they want us to think. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole sleeves thing was just a smokescreen to make us more accepting of the idea of ads - "Well, you wanted the sleeves gone, but we'll have to put ad patches on the jerseys to make up for lost revenue..."

Ads were in talks for the jerseys for years, though. I know it's apparently a big thing around here to pretend that most sports leagues are turning into Omnicorp, but settle down man. Until I see Robokobe, I'm not so easily convinced.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived