NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purple is still part of the overall scheme, technically, but it's now merely an accent color rather than a primary color.... that's apparent and a damn shame.

Can you really say that when the road jerseys are purple? The black/orange is annoying, and I'd like to see more purple too, but I think some of the criticism of mismatched sets is a bit nitpicky.

Actually, let me backtrack. I think criticizing the lack of purple on the home jerseys seems nitpicky. If we're talking trim and outlines, it's hard to even tell the difference between black and purple.

The criticism for the lack of purple on the court and primary logo is very valid.

(Of course, the fact that it's sometimes hard to distinguish black from purple just makes the use of black more absurd and pointless.)

It seems so far that we'll have to define the Suns as an Orange and Black team at home, and a Purple and Orange team on the road. Maybe not the best way to create brand recognition, but maybe just accept it as a new thing they're trying. Their court and home unis have almost no purple, their away unis will have little black. Could be worse.

Unless there's a boatload of purple elsewhere on the home that we're not considering. Like the side sunburst or maybe it will be incorporated on the front in the sun streak.

It really doesn't make sense to have little to no purple for home jerseys and have a ton for road. Why the mismatch?

It really doesn't make sense to have little to no purple for home jerseys and have a ton for road. Why the mismatch?

Because their is very little purple on the court, its only on the PHX logo and its very little. It would look very out of place if there was purple on the jersey and none on the court. Since the fans want purple they put it on the road jersey as they're free to use whatever color scheme they want on the road because it won't clash with the court.

They should make their uniforms UV coated so they blind the opponent. True to the name. Or be wired with artificial white, orange and purple lighting so they have a fiery glow around them, like the actual sun of which they are named after. Or have NBA JAM style balls for home games. Call it brand extension.

Because their is very little purple on the court, its only on the PHX logo and its very little. It would look very out of place if there was purple on the jersey and none on the court. Since the fans want purple they put it on the road jersey as they're free to use whatever color scheme they want on the road because it won't clash with the court.

Then they need to update the court to properly reflect the team. A purple border would have looked very nice. Even an orange board with PHOENIX written in purple. Something that was more conducive to the Suns rather than Halloween.

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

Despite these beautiful jerseys having predominately orange/white and very little purple.....

Majerle_zps58a8fee1.jpg

Their home court more than made up for it...........

hqdefault_zps9dfe1a14.jpg

Those uniforms are a perfect example of what I hope the new home uniforms will look like. I'm not looking for tons of purple, but give the fans a little. Notice the purple trim on the orange lettering? It looks great! Also, I like the purple trim alongside the orange trim on the neck, arms, shorts, etc. This is exactly what they should be doing with our new home uniforms. It just makes too much sense and looks amazing.

The new jerseys should have the coloring and trim of the '68/'91 uniforms (seen below), with the sunburst and slanted wordmark of the '92/'01 uniforms. Would be a slick looks with a nice nod to the past.

teamshop_hawkins_jersey.jpg

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

Found this picture looking through the interwebs

4HLV5yY.jpg

If this is legit, the Pelicans may take the crown for worst uniforms in the league. If you're going to copy how a team looks, then why pick a team with terrible uniforms like the Sixers?!

I'm guessing (and hoping) this is fake tho.

Compare that number font to this:

3226764557_37e5096705_o.png

It's an obvious fake. No way that an NBA team would use a variant of MLB block font.

Teams don't introduce alternates until a season or two into the new set, right? That's the norm?

That was a rule. Not so sure it is anymore, especially with this sleeved crap Adidas is now pushing. I'm sure PHX will have an alternate right away.

Found this picture looking through the interwebs

4HLV5yY.jpg

If this is legit, the Pelicans may take the crown for worst uniforms in the league. If you're going to copy how a team looks, then why pick a team with terrible uniforms like the Sixers?!

I'm guessing (and hoping) this is fake tho.

Compare that number font to this:

It's an obvious fake. No way that an NBA team would use a variant of MLB block font.

It has happened before. We may refer to that as "mlb block", but it's hardly a proprietary font. It's one notch above the Sixers current "default local screen printer" font.

zrem8oxf9o3smeftqplzajrkw.gif61212_Barkley.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's pretty clear to me that they designed this new set to be primarily orange and black, with purple as a tertiary color. Fans got word of it, they were upset, and so the team half-assedly switched the base color of the road jersey from black to purple. I guess it's better than them losing purple all together, but it's still crap that they will wear purple on the road and no purple at all at home. There is just no reason whatsoever for that to happen. Also, how would it be appeasing the fans to have them wear a color they want, but only on the road where they can't see it?

As for the court, who gives a crap about the court? They designed the court themselves, and it just as easily could have had purple on it. Furthermore, in the past other teams have used mismatching courts (such as the Spurs' pastel from the '90s), but it didn't make them deviate from what was supposedly their primary color.

No matter how this set turns out (I'm guessing really crappy), I can conclude right now that:

1) It was a terrible decision to decrease the usage of purple when it has been the team's primary color for 45 years;

2) It was a terrible decision to darken the purple, particularly when they insisted on including black;

3) It was a terrible decision to darken the orange, particularly when they have black and have already darkened the purple;

4) It was a terrible decision to include gray (and a dark one at that), in light of them having black, dark purple and burnt orange. One too many colors, and it will actually make the uniforms look muddied and more drab.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived