NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this gem in an MLB article on Yahoo! Sports:

And the latest craze to sweep the NBA - the franchise name change - is reportedly heading to Canada. The Toronto Raptors may follow franchises in New Orleans and Charlotte and have a new identity soon.

Is there any truth to this?

The Sixers need to:

- Have a blue jersey with "Phila" on the front.

- Add a trim around the letters/numbers. I could understand that maybe they wanted complete color contrast on the home, but god do they look unfinished...

I wasn't as big a fan of the Sixers' 90s color change as I was the Wizards'. I've never heard any real reasoning for the color change or meaning behind the new colors, so I'm assuming that it was a true case of "BFBS."

However, the number font and wordmark they used then is far superior to the ones they use now. An "Iverson Era" mashup would be a good idea, mixing the wordmark and number font of this:

eofnizaewf7fggbcjmucedat9.gif

....with the colors and striping pattern of this:

lap601kw3y115gt0gmshd3o2x.gif

......thus creating something that would look kind of like this.

8ffpn51l1a128n765ckh6xosk.gif

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Draft caps should have just been one of the wordmarks (either city OR nickname, not both). It's too cluttered as is.

Also, for the Suns, I don't think they've officially announced this logo:

new_suns_bird_logo_-_smaller_version_1.jpg

which they'll use on the hats i imagine.

They didn't officially announce it, but that sure as hell didn't stop them from using it on court with the new script.

Sixers need to go back to the iverson era jerseys. We have way too many rwb jerseys and those were unique.

Nah, we still have a few too many teams in random color combinations that have little to do with their traditional identity. Changing the Sixers back only worsens the problem. Switch the Hawks' blue to yellow and solve both problems. Bring green back to Dallas and Minnesota and the job is done.

Draft caps should have just been one of the wordmarks (either city OR nickname, not both). It's too cluttered as is.

Also, for the Suns, I don't think they've officially announced this logo:

new_suns_bird_logo_-_smaller_version_1.jpg

which they'll use on the hats i imagine.

I believe there's a new Suns logo that's the usual slanted-square w/ streaking sun, just black and orange (no purple), with the new fonts. Saw it on a t-shirt. It made sense given the new court.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

These should be the full time uni's for the Sixers (maybe add a blue alt):

lap601kw3y115gt0gmshd3o2x.gifnnitausj8c2euigs0n04geuy0.gif

I'll never understand the love that these get.

1. The way the letters are all connected is just weird. It's basically just a long patch. Look in between the R and the S. That's simply horrible - I don't see any way that could be considered a good design.

2. The not-quite-copperplate numbers just didn't work. I'm not sure if they were trying to go old timey, but they failed. The numbers were just different enough from the wordmark to clash, and didn't really stand for anything on their own. They weren't traditional, they weren't old timey, they weren't to coordinate with the wordmark or anything else in the set, it was just like someone said "hey, I like those numbers. let's work them in."

3. Back to the wordmarks - three outlines? Three? Is that necessary? They're not even consistent. Some letters on the home have a full blue outline, some only go to red on the insides.

Conceptually they're not bad, but the execution is horrible. If those were unveiled yesterday, they'd be getting torn apart.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

These should be the full time uni's for the Sixers (maybe add a blue alt):

lap601kw3y115gt0gmshd3o2x.gifnnitausj8c2euigs0n04geuy0.gif

I'll never understand the love that these get.

1. The way the letters are all connected is just weird. It's basically just a long patch. Look in between the R and the S. That's simply horrible - I don't see any way that could be considered a good design.

2. The not-quite-copperplate numbers just didn't work. I'm not sure if they were trying to go old timey, but they failed. The numbers were just different enough from the wordmark to clash, and didn't really stand for anything on their own. They weren't traditional, they weren't old timey, they weren't to coordinate with the wordmark or anything else in the set, it was just like someone said "hey, I like those numbers. let's work them in."

3. Back to the wordmarks - three outlines? Three? Is that necessary? They're not even consistent. Some letters on the home have a full blue outline, some only go to red on the insides.

Conceptually they're not bad, but the execution is horrible. If those were unveiled yesterday, they'd be getting torn apart.

I think they got love as the last vestige of red/white/blue. And as relief from the ghastly shooting star/waterfall nonsense. Compared to what came first and what followed, these were great. I barely remember them, though, they were so short lived and during a period of little mass media exposure for the Sixers.

Also, when something's conceptually not bad...I bet amateur eyes (like mine) tend not to pick the execution apart as much as a designer's would.

not like they're going to use it, but the lakers draft hat is black. the only team with a non-team color

p16070019nm.jpg

could have easily gone purple. Celtics hat is black too, but they at least have a black alt. should have been green/white though

p16070009nm.jpg

and the kings hat, gross

p16070028dt.jpg

I believe there's a new Suns logo that's the usual slanted-square w/ streaking sun, just black and orange (no purple), with the new fonts. Saw it on a t-shirt. It made sense given the new court.

something like this?

Suns_2013-14_primary_zpse31d7c94.png

Ugly. They need to do away with this whole identity and start new.

Archived