NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

$40 in 1992 (Shaq's rookie year cause I know I bought one then for that) is $67 today based on inflation alone. $99 is $165.

Gas prices have tripled since then which guess what, means shipping from overseas costs more. Shipping from the port to the distributor costs more. From the distributor to the store, etc. All of it costs more.

The average replica, let alone swingman, has so much more make and is made of higher quality fabrics than those were in that era. Which the prices for fabrics in the last few years have skyrocketed. Take a look at how much more your basic white undershirts cost now than they did even 5 years ago.

I always wonder why everyone thinks the value of $40 would stay the same for 20+ years?

I realize that the Champion version was nice but wasn't the best (I have several still hanging), it was cheap, had horrible fidelity to actual jerseys, and that better products would come along and cost more, especially with rising transportation costs. And I'm sure if they were made here in North America they'd still be the same price, as labor costs would drive the price.

But $110 for a screen-printed twill tanktop? Hell no. It just seems crazy, and yet there will be people who will buy them. I'll say the same thing when white undershirts cost $15 each.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Champion jerseys sucked. Very few of the front non-wordmark elements were printed on , so you didn't get the hornets stripes, or the Sixers waterfall.

Champion started printing pinstripes and such on the replicas around 1997 or so. I don't remember if they made a pinstriped replica of the Bulls' black jerseys before they dropped them in 1997/98, but I do know that they put stripes on replicas for the Pacers' crappy pinstriped set.

I remember getting a Jordan jersey in 1998 and it didn't have the pinstripes. I remember it really annoying me as a kid.

Even when I was a kid, those Champion replicas were really crappy to me. Adidas replicas are pretty bad now with the giant shoulders. It always annoys me how out of all the sports, the NBA has the worst replicas by far.

bSLCtu2.png

Champion jerseys sucked. Very few of the front non-wordmark elements were printed on , so you didn't get the hornets stripes, or the Sixers waterfall.

The European versions were much better - the graphics/names/numbers were sublimated into the fabric, so all the details tended to be correct, even down to the trim. Compare my old Hornets replica with the ones in the above photo:

HornetsReplica.jpg

Beautiful jersey.

Jaguars

They would look great without the three stripes. but because it's adidas, they will force it anywhere and everywhere possible

Yup. The stripes make this stuff look awful. A simple logo on the chest like the college football jerseys would be more than adequate.

They would look great without the three stripes. but because it's adidas, they will force it anywhere and everywhere possible

Yup. The stripes make this stuff look awful. A simple logo on the chest like the college football jerseys would be more than adequate.

Which is why I hate Adidas. Their own self promoting of the three stripes hurt their own creativity and makes the NBA sideline wear so bland and unimaginative

Go A's!

Archived